advertisement

System pics 2013 - part II

oldius

Manchester City, dogs, family and food.
P1000644_zps1e2ffcfe.jpg

401 with Ace Anna and Art-1, Goldring G99 with OL Conqueror and Denon DL-S1, Leema Agena, Bryston BP-25 with MP-S1 PS and Bryston 4BSST2.

System 2: Thorens TD125, Audiomods V, AT 33PTG, Denon PMA850, Kef Reference 103.
SBT and Caiman on digital duty.

P1000646_zps3676fbf0.jpg

[stuff deleted]
I think the Obelisks look stunning. I've never heard a pair, and was put off investigating Shahinian speakers more fully when I briefly owned a pair of Compasses, but I do like the look of them.

I wonder, are they at all fussy about room positioning? Not thinking of changing - honest! - but genuinely interested in them nonetheless.

I think the Obelisks look stunning. I've never heard a pair, and was put off investigating Shahinian speakers more fully when I briefly owned a pair of Compasses, but I do like the look of them.

I wonder, are they at all fussy about room positioning? Not thinking of changing - honest! - but genuinely interested in them nonetheless.

I had a recent "Wammer bake off" and the general consensus was one of overwhelming enthusiasm for the Obs. You can find the comments on the wam in "wammer warming" on the bake off's thread. The guests were most impressed by their ability to be wheeled between rooms and to sound great wherever they were placed and with all styles of music.

They are the single piece of my kit that I am most attached to and you're welcome to come and listen if you're close.

Ok - at Arthur's request - a few pics of system. Mac Mini, Lavry DA10, Adam S2Xs + Adam Sub 10. Also have Sky box and Panasonic Blu ray player which feed into the DAC via an optical switching unit. All looks quite purposeful and utilitarian but sounds really rather good. Rug fans may notice how it ties the room together!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8609862159/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8610966868/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8610967176/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8610967154/in/photostream

Apologies for links - I haven't got my head around posting pics in line.

Rich

You know, I love Adam speakers. But I wish they looked a bit less studio-esque. Even my Compact Classics have a lot to be desired in the looks department...

system-jan-2012-1.jpg

I am fairly certain my wife would love it if I moved back to these rather than the muckle big ATCs.... I'm still getting a lot of grief (in a non-marriage-threatening way at least) about the behemoth puppies dominating the room like bad boy bouncers at a nightclub door (albeit veneered bouncers... ah, never mind...)

You know, I love Adam speakers. But I wish they looked a bit less studio-esque. Even my Compact Classics have a lot to be desired in the looks department...

system-jan-2012-1.jpg

I am fairly certain my wife would love it if I moved back to these rather than the muckle big ATCs.... I'm still getting a lot of grief (in a non-marriage-threatening way at least) about the behemoth puppies dominating the room like bad boy bouncers at a nightclub door (albeit veneered bouncers... ah, never mind...)

No accounting for taste John. I love those bad boys! :)

Ok - at Arthur's request - a few pics of system. Mac Mini, Lavry DA10, Adam S2Xs + Adam Sub 10. Also have Sky box and Panasonic Blu ray player which feed into the DAC via an optical switching unit. All looks quite purposeful and utilitarian but sounds really rather good. Rug fans may notice how it ties the room together!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8609862159/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8610966868/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8610967176/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94580971@N04/8610967154/in/photostream

Apologies for links - I haven't got my head around posting pics in line.

Rich

Hi Richard.

Love those speakers, and the sub.

I like the look of dozens of different size and shape of speaker, but standard black does it for me. Shame mine are silver :mad:

Don't know how you got those things balanced though. The sub looks a whopper.

No accounting for taste John. I love those bad boys! :)
Oh, don't get me wrong: they're not BAD looking speakers, but the odd oversized bulgy baffle thing is a strange design choice IMHO and if it weren't for the fact that they are so damned good* I'd probably have passed on them...

* other than scale, the Compact Classics really do give the bigger ATCs a run for their money. That's why I'm hanging onto them, since if I need to pull some money out of the hifi (read: sell the ATCs) then I'll still have a cracking pair of actives to use. Win-win, as they say :)

Oh, don't get me wrong: they're not BAD looking speakers, but the odd oversized bulgy baffle thing is a strange design choice IMHO and if it weren't for the fact that they are so damned good* I'd probably have passed on them...

* other than scale, the Compact Classics really do give the bigger ATCs a run for their money. That's why I'm hanging onto them, since if I need to pull some money out of the hifi (read: sell the ATCs) then I'll still have a cracking pair of actives to use. Win-win, as they say :)

That's the bit I like about them second most, the quirky baffle.

Seems they didn't keep the design long though, the newer versions are much more domestically squared off.

Win-win indeed. That's the bit I like first about them, deftly excellent sound.

2002 Shahinian Arcs with Olive Naim kit came up one evening when I was way too tired. Anyway, looks (and sounds) nice. Arcs cabled up with Tellurium Q Blue which gives more bass (perhaps too much) than NACA5. TT is Transcriptors Saturn with Fluid Arm and Denon 110 into Cambridge 640P. No MP3 or hard drive on this rig!

Sorry I cannot seem to load image files so here's a link.

Arthur/JTC,

Thanks for the comments. I can see both sides of the argument aesthetically. Mine I think look far more at home in a studio than in a living room but least (sub aside) they are fairly small and a lot less imposing when the lights are down low.

The sub took quite a bit of trial and error to get integrated properly. I don't have any measuring equipment, so did it by ear and I reckon I've got it about right. The whole lot sounds pretty flat from top to bottom, very detailed, effortlessly punchy and natural. It can play way, way louder than I can tolerate without getting hard and shouty or changing in character.
Initially I tried two Sub 10s but didn't really think the second added anything to the party apart from looking more symmetrical.

Many (and belated) thanks to Mark at Item Audio for letting me try this and other kit at home on an extended basis before reaching a decision. I'm very pleased with the way it's all come together.

Cheers,

Rich

Always nosing about others' rooms (not so interested in the metal boxes), I thought I should take the plunge and post a photo of my set-up on a day when I'm not feeling well enough to work in the room in which it is located, namely, my office/study: iMac (out of shot)>M-DAC>Meridian 557>Spendor SA1s + B&W PV1. I joined PFM 14 months ago because of the M-DAC and I've learnt a great deal since. Thanks to all.
file_zps4f482d72.jpg

Always nosing about others' rooms (not so interested in the metal boxes), I thought I should take the plunge and post a photo of my set-up on a day when I'm not feeling well enough to work in the room in which it is located, namely, my office/study: iMac (out of shot)>M-DAC>Meridian 557>Spendor SA1s + B&W PV1. I joined PFM 14 months ago because of the M-DAC and I've learnt a great deal since. Thanks to all.
file_zps4f482d72.jpg

All that lot looks splendid.

Where did you get the blinds though? I neeeeeed some of those!

Would any of you kind gentlemen let me know if my system pics (post 690) can be seen. I ask cos a mate says he can't open the link. If not any tips as to how to enable this would be most welcome.

Would any of you kind gentlemen let me know if my system pics (post 690) can be seen. I ask cos a mate says he can't open the link. If not any tips as to how to enable this would be most welcome.

The link sent me to a yahoo join page???

advertisement

Back