advertisement

What is your favourite Royd speaker

Sintra first series, they just had a way of getting to the sole of a piece of music, used them with Ion Obelisk amps and a Xerxes.

Royd Eden
Really nice sound and my first pair of stand mounts,remember useing them with linn kan stands!

Merlin.

Of all the speakers I've owned in over 35 years, none have stayed as long in my system.

I've always wanted to get a pair of Royds as they are suppose to work really well with Exposure amps. At the moment I have been using Ruark Talisman 2's and happy with them. I don't really know if any Royds would be an improvement or not but would like to hear a pair of Priors.

Royd A7 MK2s...preferred them to Kans some years ago and as such have been a keeper in my main system. Just wonderfully musical.

I've only had hands on experience with 8 different Royd models, so there may be others I like better, but of the ones I know, the two stand-outs are the Sorcerors and the Minstrels. The latter I like so much I've had three pairs and still have one pair in fairly regular use today. I wouldn't turn down another pair of Sorcerors if they came up for sale either. I like for no better reason than the fact that they work really nicely with my favourite amps - Naim, Nytech, Ion, Exposure - and make most every piece of music fun, engaging and enjoyable to listen to. Only real downside is that they don't like playing too loud. Best wheel out the JBLs for serious headbanging sessions..

I liked both the Doublet and the Abbot.

However, for the best I have heard I would have to say Sorcerer.

Never heard much of the "new" series, so can't comment.

The Coniston R because they are a champion of musical affordability. This is something I feel Royd speakers were all about. They can show the minstrels a thing or two and are just as musically rewarding.

Most of what made the later models so good is there with the Coniston. A great functional look, well made cabinets and drivers but no fancy cosmetic frills. Joe was always tweaking the Coniston from the MK1 version.

You can even see the glue on the driver surrounds and round the dustcap but it all adds to the charm really. They were designed for the foam grilles to stay in place.

My choice may have a lot to do with not being able to get my hands on the later models. Yes the Edens were metal lined but the Coniston R remains a great little speaker.

I loved A7's because they cost less than a pint of beer and a kebab and sounded great, my linn dealer whilst selling "high end" gear used a pair of A7's with a nait two and a manticore mantra at home for years before blowing a fortune on linn kit himself. I love mistrels for much the same reason.

I have always wanted to hear a pair of apexes after owning and loving two pairs of rega ELA's, apexes are from the same DNA but are meant to be better still.

Oh yes, forgot about the abbots, they were superb too.

I remember a guy returning a pair he'd had on home loan to the shop, he was absolutely gutted because he'd fallen in love with them and his wife said no because she didn't like the styling :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back