advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Rasher

Quadrophenia land
I was at the RFH too for the Steven Wilson gig and was sitting towards the rear of the stalls unfortunately close to a rear speaker which when in action completely wiped out music from the stage. The sound I thought started off poor and got a little better, but never got good. Not from where I was sitting anyway. The surround sound was recorded tracks that were out of sync at my seat.

As far as Guthrie is concerned, I think he's added a new dimension and fluidity to the band and although he maybe got lost once or twice, there were some cock-ups in places by others too - but I don't care about that, it's rock'n'roll. Guthrie for me is brilliant and don't forget, he's still fairly new to this and well out of his comfort zone. I love the drummer too who reminds me of Alan White of Yes; he's like a caged animal playing pretty stuff, but straining at the leash like there's a little Keith Moon sitting on his shoulder.
The only thing with this band that slightly doesn't fully satisfy is that the loud rock bits don't have the authority and crunch that we are used to. The playing isn't as tight as it has been historically for SW and the telepathy of playing 'as one' isn't yet there. There wasn't total confidence from everyone - it was everyone concentrating on their part. It wasn't a unit.
The record is great and I've played it certainly more than 20 times so far.
The gig was seriously good, but flawed.
Is that a bit harsh?

I did detect two bars from Kind Of Blue on the piano. :)

Don't think we were at the same concert based on that description.

Totally agree. I am sometimes amazed at the negativity of posters on this site and wonder what on earth people expect. I though the sound was excellent (I was in row L) amd that the virtuosity of the band was outstanding. The band was very tight and there was, imho, plenty of light and shade.

I haven't been to a better concert for years.

I remember now though why I am not a regualr visitor to this site... :p

I didn't think Rasher was being negative - did I miss something? He just pointed out that the live band was only on the third date and the sound a little wooly in places - but it's a difficult hall. Ian's a great engineer but even he can't break the laws of physics.

They'll be a shit hot unit at the end of the tour.

And you did detect some Miles :)

Stephen

The Straits tonight at The Anvil, Basingstoke. Awesome performance from a mixture of Dire Straits, the drummer from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and some fantastic new blood.

A refreshing change to be told that photos, video and sound recording welcome too.

I wasn't being negative, just honest about the sound in my seat. I am the only one defending Guthrie from what I can see here, but no matter.
It's a long way from Porky Tree and if a little raw, then I don't necessarily see that as a negative either. I think I said that too.
They are a great band, it's rock. I don't do worship. Sorry.
I bet I know the new album better than most here - I've played it enough.

The solo on Drive Home is the best guitar playing I have ever heard on a SW record. I'll defend Guthrie over anything for that.

As far as being tight is concerned, they simply were not as tight as the band I saw twice on the Grace For Drowning tour or certainly not PT on their Incident tour. That's just a fact. OTOH, sometimes too polished (in rock & jazz) can be awesome, but predictable, especially with set lines and written solos. Guthrie didn't play what he played on the record. I like that.

Okay, that's probably upset a few more. ;)

Thanks Stephen.

Funnily enough, we tend to underplay in No-man. It's all about the light and shade.

That's why the No-Man gig last year was so good.

I'm glad that SW can separate the different musical strands in his career. The solo stuff is different to PT which is different to No-Man etc. It's not all one continuum, played the same way. It is remarkable how some one so deep into their career can still be as creative as Steven Wilson is.

I've seen him play live in various guises (PT, No-Man, Blackfield and solo) and enjoyed them all.

I am looking forward to getting to know Raven better. I wasn't well last week and I just haven't had the time to sit and listen to it much yet. There is much to enjoy there and it does have the variety and plenty of subtlety that was bludgeoned out of it live to some extent.

Richard Thompson. Yowsah. He is the greatest guitarist the UK has ever produced, no question. Even played a cover of Cream's White Room, which pissed all over Clapton. I grabbed a copy of the set list, which listed it as "Cream Cheese". Arf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard Thompson. Yowsah. He is the greatest guitarist the UK has ever produced, no question. Even played a cover of Cream's White Room, which pissed all over Clapton. I grabbed a copy of the set list, which listed it as "Cream Cheese". Arf.

Well, one of the greats :) Great thing with RT is that his set list is different every night. Would love to have heard him playing the Cream number. I saw him on the first night of his tour in Cardiff and he was in great form. Found the bass a bit overpowering though.

One of the best gigs I've ever been to was when he was playing with Linda Thompson in the '70s - fabulous, a magical evening.

Steve Reich and the London Sinfonietta last night at The Brighton Dome playing:
Clapping
Electric Counterpoint
2X5
Radio Rewrites
Double Sextet

Fabulous stuff: 2X5 in particular clicked for me seeing it played live; and the new pieces were excellent.

I put on Miles Hunt (wonderstuff) in leeds at the beginning of feb, Kid Koala in leeds two weeks ago, Sigur Ros last sunday in manchester which must have been the best gig ive ever been to, Im putting on Grace Petrie and Jasmine Kennedy in leeds tonight and then off to mbv in manchester on sunday. This years gig going is going to plan :)

He still can't sing has little stage presence but the original band lineup were very good indeed.

uqy9u2yd.jpg

I am really glad I went, there were ex-pats filling the place and we drank the place dry.......

a4eva9aq.jpg

Fools gold was an epic 15 minute affair with great solo's at the end. I got to bed about 6 in the morning and paid dearly for it all week long.

The Script on Sunday 10 March, Newcastle Metro Arena. Free ticket, but poor sound. I'm not impressed with these big giggs.

The Magic Band, 11 March, The Cluny, Newcastle. A great sound from a really tight playing and talented band. Rockette's bass had the ceiling air ducting vibrating several times. Drumbo was ace - vocals, various instruments and great patter. A superb gigg. Go and see them if you can.

advertisement

Back