advertisement

Snaxo 2-4 rewiring for mismatched amps

jumbo

pfm Member
I've posted the same question on the Naim forum but I'm guessing I'll have more success with answers here.

I've an olive 250 and a recapped 140 that I'd like to use to go active with my SBLs until I can afford another 250.

Instructions on how I can mod my Snaxo 2-4 to achieve this would be very welcome.

As I understand it both amps have the same gain, so surely you can use them without any mismatch?

Yes, except that the snaxo 2-4 as opposed to the new 2-4-2 has outputs that require each amp to drive an individual speaker [without the mod].

I understand that a simple rewire of the din outputs [2 cables] allows one amp to drive the tweeters and the other to drive the mid/woofer.

You may have some luck contacting Flashback and asking if they can make some custom cables for you. They are pretty responsive to requests like this and their cables are top notch (and cheap as chips).

Cheers,

Ed

Rewiring by custom cables would be very messy i think.
Easier to do it internally by removing the four output wires from sockets 4 and 5 then moving them so the two bass outputs go to one din socket and the two treble outputs go to the other, keeping o/p1=left and o/p2=right in each case.
Also easily reversible when you get your other 250

Or just rewire the outputs to give one 4pin din for left and one for right.

It ought to just be a case of swapping two wires over!

I'll have a look at mine.

Custom leads would end up looking quite messy but it could be done but

CIMG0443.jpg

if you swap over the white wire and the orange wire on the bottom two din sockets, and ignore the top two then it will do exactly what you want.

Or if your wires are differently coloured swap the two on yours which are in the same places as white and orange on mine.

Note one of my top two has been completely disconnected and the other one serves as power input and has mutated into a 5 pin socket so yours will look different - but don't worry about that.

Yes, just spotted that, colasblue is right, it's even easier than i thought!
swap o/p1 of one socket with o/p2 of the other

Craig,

Are you in Melbourne? Acoustic Images, previously Audio Video Excellence, in Mt Waverly produced a similar cable to get a 250 and 300 powering Allaes. They may still have the cable and could make a new one. They are messy but not difficult to do.

I got a worthwhile improvement in resolution etc by using DNM cable between pre and power, although the bass is lighter. Maybe its more realistic. Perhaps an opportunity for you?

David

Thank you for the replies everybody.

I'm away from home at the moment so can't see the insides of my snaxo but will certainly investigate the possibility of the two wire swap.

Flashback who I think have a solution have also been helpful.

regards Craig

David,

I'm in Sydney. Thank you too for the tip re DNM cable.

Thank you to colasblue for instructions on how to carry out this mod. Also to others for chipping in.

Got home the other night and after terminating my NACA5 and swapping the two wires I now have my SBLs singing actively.

WOW !!!

Instructions from SWMBO ?

"Now don't change anything!!!!"

Thanks!:)

If i do this mod would the upper din sockets still work with matched stereo amps? One din for left channel and the other din for the right channel. And only the lower din sockets could be used for unmatched stereo amps.

What I mean is that upper two din sockets require each amp to drive an individual speaker and lower two din sockets allow one amp to drive the tweeters and the other to drive the mid/woofer?

No. In standard configuration the upper two sockets are only half connected for use with the 4 pack tweeter amps. The unused channel is just grounded.

You could rewire it to do what you want easily enough but it isn't just swapping the two wires.

Thanks Colasblue. After this mod how does the upper sockets work? Are those still for one socket tweeter ch1 and the other socket tweeter ch2 to mono blocks? Could those be used with Nap300? CH1 tweeter and CH2 tweeter? Then I could use one of the lower sockets for example with Nap200 for bass/mid for CH1 and CH2 and the upper sockets for my Nap300 to SBL tweeter ch1 and ch2.

I've done this mod a couple of times. Start with the pin out and manual page for each version and wire the two left hand sockets for LF on channels 1 and 2 and HF 1 and 2 on the right. Each column will then drive the correct amp L and R for HF and LF.

I've done this mod a couple of times. Start with the pin out and manual page for each version and wire the two left hand sockets for LF on channels 1 and 2 and HF 1 and 2 on the right. Each column will then drive the correct amp L and R for HF and LF.

I have swapped the wires on the two lower sockets like in this instruction:

"if you swap over the white wire and the orange wire on the bottom two din sockets, and ignore the top two then it will do exactly what you want."

If I look at the back of the Snaxo the lower socket on the right hand side works now with stereo power amp LF for channel 1 and 2. The left hand side (lower socket) works with HF for channel 1 and 2.

I don't know how this configuration would work if I wanted to use the upper sockets with Nap300 to drive HF for channel 1 and 2 on my other setup when using Nap200 to drive LF for channel 1 and 2 on the bottom socket?

If you do it this way you have a balance knob which works left channel---> balance knob turned on right and right channel--->balance knob turned on left.

I have contacted Witch Hat Audio but didn't got any answer if they could do a complete rewiring in Snaxo 242 configuration for me so it seems that I am left alone with this problem.

Could anyone help me how to do rewiring so it is exactly in 242 configuration connection wise? I want those upper sockets to work also exactly like in Snaxo 242.

Or just rewire the outputs to give one 4pin din for left and one for right.

It ought to just be a case of swapping two wires over!

I'll have a look at mine.

Custom leads would end up looking quite messy but it could be done but

CIMG0443.jpg

if you swap over the white wire and the orange wire on the bottom two din sockets, and ignore the top two then it will do exactly what you want.

Or if your wires are differently coloured swap the two on yours which are in the same places as white and orange on mine.

Note one of my top two has been completely disconnected and the other one serves as power input and has mutated into a 5 pin socket so yours will look different - but don't worry about that.

I have contacted Witch Hat Audio but didn't got any answer if they could do a complete rewiring in Snaxo 242 configuration for me so it seems that I am left alone with this problem.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Of course I can do this mod. A rewire and level check would be £60 if anyone would like it done.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Of course I can do this mod. A rewire and level check would be £60 if anyone would like it done.

I dropped you an email. I noticed that my earlier answer for your email never left from my mailbox in some reason.

advertisement

Back