advertisement

Sonus Faber Concertino Advice

Bracksy

pfm Member
Recently blew up a 150mm midrange bass woofer on my Concertino. Looking for a suitable replacement advice required. Lots of questions to come novice here.
The woofer is a 150mm fiber glass multicoating cone, magnetically shielded.
power handling 30/150 W
Apparently a Scanspeak unit.
Firstly i cant find an exact match, so i guess i will have to replace woofers in both speakers.
2nd lots of different priced drivers not sure how much i should be spending for good PRAT. If i spend more will this be in fact a big leap in performance from the original woofers

Scanspeak Woofers of this size range from £50-£160

As you can see advice required :confused:

I once had a pair of SF Concerto, which is the big brother to the Concertino. It had a Vifa mid-woofer (M18WO09-08?). I very much doubt the Concertino used a Scan-speak, which is the more expensive brand then associated with Vifa (as part of the Danish Speaker Technology group that also owned Peerless). It's shape and size leads me to believe its a Seas P14RC of some description. The bad news is the P14RC range is long discontinued. The good news is Seas can be contacted directly to see if they have any units left in stock.

Have a look at this website and send Seas a polite email explaining your problem. Otherwise, you could try contacting Sonus Faber.

I would advise strongly against substituting the OEM driver. The crossover is unlikely to yield the same sound as you enjoy and it's a complete PITA to re-route the leather(ette) covered baffle to accommodate a round woofer.

Good luck whichever route you take.

If the unit in the other speaker is perfect then I would approach sonus faber for a replacement even if its "silly money" which it probably will be.

I'm also assuming original generation Concertino, which was released to the unsuspecting world in the early 2000s. I'm not familiar with the Toy editions.

Thank you for advice,Sorry i wrote this late last night.It is the Concertino Home single post 6ohm version. I have now emailed Absolute Sounds as they distribute Sonus Faber Speakers,as there is no direct contact with Sonus Faber.Also contacted Seas Uk contact.
The woofer is round so a direct 150mm replacement wouldn't be a problem.
Thank you James & Hp1 will let you know how i get on.

Here's a 'phone number for Sonus Faber HQ in Italy: +39-0444-288788

(DON'T drop the "0" before the 444)

Good luck

It is the Concertino Home single post 6ohm version.
In that case, scrub my advice on Seas P14RC. I don't recognise this woofer.

My advice on an alternate 150mm woofer still holds. If the T/S parameters are not identical, it will sound different.

advertisement

Back