advertisement

Zerodust or VP dust buster stylus cleaner?

G

Guest432

I've had my DV-20x2L for a few weeks now and want to look at options for cleaning it. Having read other posts and comments I think I'll avoid wet cleaners. What is everyones opinion on which has the better results but more importantly which is the safest to use?

I also hear mention of Linn green stuff but can't seem to find it online, is this no longer available or one of those dealer use only things?

I use the onzo on my 20xl and think it's pretty good. I appreciate what you are saying about wet cleaners but I've just got some clearaudio cleaner from Gauis and tried it last night. Made a real difference- cleaned the sound right up. Much clearer.

I'm relatively new to vinyl still an would t mind knowing more about this kit. At the moment I'm using the Ortofon brush provided an a soft paint brush to lightly clean the needle as an when. Am I wrong to do this. What's the best way ?

I use the onzo on my 20xl and think it's pretty good. I appreciate what you are saying about wet cleaners but I've just got some clearaudio cleaner from Gauis and tried it last night. Made a real difference- cleaned the sound right up. Much clearer.

I've been using this stuff for years and it is very good indeed, no problems at all.

Thanks Mike.

Chris if you want a bottle give me a shout, it's £25 but will last donkeys.

I will again make the case for getting a record cleaning machine for the serious vinyl user.

If all is clean to begin with then the stylus stays more clean and everything sounds better.

I have a good rcm but frankly use it as little as possible, because my trusty old zerodust seems to do the everyday job well.i use the zerodust after each record playing session. it's true that an rcm will properly clean records, but that is often not necessary, and it is very, very,, boring.

it's true that an rcm will properly clean records, but that is often not necessary, and it is very, very,, boring.

I dunno, once you get into a trance-like state it can be quite therapeutic. (Bloody glad all mine have been done, though).:D

Another option is the green putty (Bergeon Rodico 6033-1) that Expert Stylus Co. recommends. It's a watchmakers cleaner so it shouldn't leave any residue. Just cut a small flat lump and put it on a toothpick. Lay it on the platter mat and dip the stylus a few times after ended playing session.

I don't have a huge collection of vinyl but it is growing an would mind getting a rcm at some point. The okki nokki looks very good for its money.

I don't have a huge collection of vinyl but it is growing an would mind getting a rcm at some point. The okki nokki looks very good for its money.

It is, I have had one for years and think of it as part of the system.

Let me know if you want one.

Another option is the green putty (Bergeon Rodico 6033-1) that Expert Stylus Co. recommends. It's a watchmakers cleaner so it shouldn't leave any residue. Just cut a small flat lump and put it on a toothpick. Lay it on the platter mat and dip the stylus a few times after ended playing session.

Have read (on another very recent cleaning thread) that ESCO are not now recommending this stuff. Seems they prefer contact lens cleaner !

Hmm thanks for the heads-up Mike. Will shoot them a mail I think. If there's some reason they don't think the green putty is safe.

Have read (on another very recent cleaning thread) that ESCO are not now recommending this stuff. Seems they prefer contact lens cleaner !

Which one, there are many?

Knowing the formulation of most, I'd not recommend getting them anywhere near my cartridge!

I'm a VP Dust Buster uesr myself I made a small stand so it stands at the same
level as deck and use it every time I lift the arm

I'm a VP Dust Buster uesr myself I made a small stand so it stands at the same
level as deck and use it every time I lift the arm

Excellent point. My zerodust is quite a low box but some are higher....you need to be sure that your stylus/cantilever clears the side of the box.And clean the gloop with hot water every few months.That's all.

Which one, there are many?

Knowing the formulation of most, I'd not recommend getting them anywhere near my cartridge!

I posted this on t'other cleaning thread. Popped into my local Specsavers last Wednesday to find out the formulation(s).

The girl brought down two packets, one a multi-purpose cleaner; t'other a more specific one. the former had polyhexamide plus phosphate salts and the latter oxymol.

Means nothing to me, but doesn't sound like alcohol.

Therefore, JEM, can you enlighten us please?

Would it make more sense to ask the people who make your cartridge, or their distributor?I can't see expert styli accepting responsibility if eye drops damage an expensive cartridge.Think I will stick to the 'first, do no harm' concept and avoid all liquids.

But are we sure that ME doesn't leave any microscopic "dust" on the tip which then gets into the grooves afterwards? It's pretty abrasive stuff.

They do now indeed recommend using a non-alcohol lens cleaner (opticians shoild have it) but not because the green putty is "bad" or ineffective but out of general cost concerns (as obviously they use the same thing in their daily work as they recommend).

advertisement

Back