advertisement

Dealers prices

koi

pfm Member
Can any one explain why some dealers have no prices on there websites for the gear they sell

I am pretty sure it would save them a load of hassle if they did? :(

Because I think that most are willing to adjust accordingly due to hard times and don't wish to scare buyers off. Another ideal would be - it's to time consuming, but that couldn't be it - could it?.

Just my take on the topic, as I've noticed that of late as well.

Cheers,
o_O scar

People love deals, so if I were an audio dealer I'd quote all my prices as a million squid or more, followed by but for you only £400!* in big bold font.

I'd also place a picture of Dr. Evil beside the price for comedic effect.

mzi.drewqzno.256x256-75.jpg

Joe

* A price 400 squids was for illustration only. It might be, say, 375 squid.

So they can gauge how much you can afford before they tell you the price? Puts me off even phoning them. Another gripe is dealers who leave all their sold stuff listed and put "sold" next to it. Why, just to pad out their sales list? Do they think we are idiots?

I'm also unlikely to ring a dealer effectively 'on spec' just to check a price. I want to know I'm really interested before making contact - and price is a major determinant of that.

Dealers take note?

Sometimes commercial operations don't advertise prices because the want to sell so low that it would cause problems if anyone knew.

Hotels do this, supposedly, which is where the Priceline bidding idea comes in.

There are some dealers who seem to give prices for some products but not for other examples of the same product. Never quite sure what the rationale is behind that.

So they can gauge how much you can afford before they tell you the price? Puts me off even phoning them. Another gripe is dealers who leave all their sold stuff listed and put "sold" next to it. Why, just to pad out their sales list? Do they think we are idiots?

Julian

The sad thing about the British Hifi industry is that the manufacturers are inovative, hard working and are generally decent people.

The dealers who sell the stuff have no sales skills at all and generally put people off buying. Just go into a hifi shop and expect to be treated like an idiot and then they wonder why customers walk to box shifters.

They are still living in the 1970s when it comes to selling techniques. They let the industry down big time.

Mick

One of the big chains is currently using the term"secret sale offer?" next to their prices. I wanted a DAC so I phoned them up to be told, no sir that is not in the sale. All that did for me was leave a bitter taste in my mouth that I had just wasted 5 minutes of my life holding on the phone for the sales guy to find out. I won't bother speaking to that dealer again, for sure.

And speaking of sales, how about dealers who do not list the prices of items on their websites but then advertise they are having a sale, to contact them for pricing. How do you know how much you are getting off their normal price, if anything at all? How do you know what their normal price is anyway? Is it a genuine sale? I very much doubt it...

In the '70s/early '80s many Hi-Fi Retailers' premium equipment ( eg. Quad, Rogers, etc. ) was advertised POA. The 'everyday' ( mainly Japanese ) kit was shown as retail and 'Our Price'. It appears these days you are expected to pay top whack for desirable equipment, eg. Audio Research. The 'Garrard SP 25 ' market sector seems to have disappeared. I well recall pages & pages of Advertisers offering 'Their Price' ( complete with plinth & lid !) on this popular model. Some products you will never get at a lower price. Harbeth speakers, for example.

In the '70s/early '80s many Hi-Fi Retailers' premium equipment ( eg. Quad, Rogers, etc. ) was advertised POA. The 'everyday' ( mainly Japanese ) kit was shown as retail and 'Our Price'. It appears these days you are expected to pay top whack for desirable equipment, eg. Audio Research. The 'Garrard SP 25 ' market sector seems to have disappeared. I well recall pages & pages of Advertisers offering 'Their Price' ( complete with plinth & lid !) on this popular model. Some products you will never get at a lower price. Harbeth speakers, for example.

By the way, it should be Dealers' Prices...

Julian

The sad thing about the British Hifi industry is that the manufacturers are inovative, hard working and are generally decent people.

The dealers who sell the stuff have no sales skills at all and generally put people off buying. Just go into a hifi shop and expect to be treated like an idiot and then they wonder why customers walk to box shifters.

They are still living in the 1970s when it comes to selling techniques. They let the industry down big time.

Mick

I would not say all dealers are the same Mick. All I can say is, if their websites/tactics work, some people must be pretty gullible.

The dealers who sell the stuff have no sales skills at all and generally put people off buying.

Get out and chat to them more. Loads of great dealers out there who are passionate enthusiasts full of knowledge. Continually amazed by this. Its tight arsed buyers like us on the forums who are the problem, never buying anything new. I'm pretty bad, but I'm far from the worst.

Only if I were frantically hunting for a specific item would I bother with ' £PHONE'. One noted Naim dealer persists in advertising in this way, and, frankly, it baffles me. Must work, though; they're no fools !!!:(

Mick,

I'd imagine the shitty audio dealers have long gone out of business, what with the invisible hand of the marketplace doing what it does so well during a nasty recession.

Joe

Mick,

I'd imagine the shitty audio dealers have long gone out of business, what with the invisible hand of the marketplace doing what it does so well during a nasty recession.

Joe

No Joe, my experience is that some are still clinging on by there fingernails and don't give a monkey's about service or even trading regulations in their efforts to keep doing so.

There are good ones mind - John at MAX springs to mind. Hopefully some people will continue to frequent these dealerships at least until the owners decide it's time to retire and live in Italy.

Mike,

My point is that home audio is a shrinking market (has been for quite a while) that's further compounded by one of the worst recessions in memory. How many crappy dealers can be left?

I would have thought that the only survivors would be the dealers who offer superior service and products.

Joe

I've posted this before: as for some products never being discounted, simply make your offer and leave them to think it over. The maker has as much need to shift product as the retailer and they may choose to share a discount. Worked for me. I simply don't believe that discounts aren't available on some products. My money isn't available in that case and the product stays where it is. In a healthy market when they're all confident that top products wil get sold then I can understand inability to get a discount. If you want the product and no-one's discounting then you'll be back. 'Tis the reverse today and the buyer has the upper hand.

advertisement

Back