advertisement

Upgrading from Micromega CD player - advice

I had a Cyrus dad3Q with 24 bit dac and PSXR from new which I liked very much. It was very reliable but had to go back to Cyrus just the once to have the drawer repaired. They had to fit a new mech as it's a one piece unit with no serviceable parts. On its return Cyrus informed me that I'd had the last transport and they could no longer support this model so a year later I moved it on and bought a AAA5. I've also recently bought a Naim CD3 because Les carries the bits for those as well. I'm keeping hold of the AAA5 for the time being :)

Looking at the specs on a dealer website as I myself was interested in hearing one, if I'm wrong then I stand corrected and would like to hear one. If it's like micromega products of old then it will be good and I'd still like to hear one.
Looks like the dealer got it wrong, then. Mine is connected to my Airport Express - I'll post a photo, if you like, but this site should lay this myth once and for all:

http://www.micromega-hifi.com/index.php/en/products/my-range/mydac

Looks like the dealer got it wrong, then. Mine is connected to my Airport Express - I'll post a photo, if you like, but this site should lay this myth once and for all:

http://www.micromega-hifi.com/index.php/en/products/my-range/mydac

Cool, I'll have to get a listen to one then!
How's it sound? Seems it could be a very good option when partnered with an airport express for a sensibly priced steaming system.

It seems crazy to me that a manufacturer would cripple a dac by making it USB only but that's what quad have done on their new dac. It's a shame because I like quad products as do many but it's useless with most streamers and all CD players.

MicroMega products are not built or designed as they were, which is a shame. They went tits up a few years back.
You base this on what, precisely?

Their gear is still made in France, they have some of the original designers on board, so what's not to like?

You should listen both to them and to Atoll, and you might be in for a surprise.

I had a Cyrus dad3Q with 24 bit dac and PSXR from new which I liked very much. It was very reliable but had to go back to Cyrus just the once to have the drawer repaired. They had to fit a new mech as it's a one piece unit with no serviceable parts. On its return Cyrus informed me that I'd had the last transport and they could no longer support this model so a year later I moved it on and bought a AAA5. I've also recently bought a Naim CD3 because Les carries the bits for those as well. I'm keeping hold of the AAA5 for the time being :)

I loved the sound, the look and the feel of my Cyrus stuff and the dac was fine but my transport was useless, I wanted them to upgrade my unit to the improved spec which was not unreasonable since it was useless but they flat refused without charging the full upgrade rate. I was not willing to pay to fix a design issue on a product under warrantee.

I had a discmaster 8.0 qx too and that failed on the servo board, I returned it too them, they said they had fixed it but on return it was still faulty, they did get it sorted the second time but then the power supply failed, they fixed that but shipped it back with a some fins damaged on the right hand side, they did re-case it though in fairness to them and that machine seemed to be ok after that.

I base it on knowledge! Its also true that Mircomega went bankrupt and the name was sold on. They made some really shit stuff just after based on a cheap folded tin chassis and stock internal designs subcontracted in China. They even tried re-boxing the Apple Airport Express and selling it for C£800 IIRC... ring any bells?

Have a look at the last pic here: http://www.micromega-hifi.com/index.php/en/products/streamers/wm-10 You'll see its a hacked AE!!
I'mtalking about their new stuff, not the old. If you look at their website you'll see the old directors bought back the name in 2007 and everything is now made in France.

I'mtalking about their new stuff, not the old. If you look at their website you'll see the old directors bought back the name in 2007 and everything is now made in France.

That's good, I remember around 2006 when shadow audio were distributing them in the UK they were having real problems with a couple of their integrated amps. They dropped them and they had no UK distribution for a while.

They seem to be making a return to the UK market and if the founder is back in charge (forget his name) then that is confidence inspiring. He was/is a very intelligent guy and turned out some nice products.

I had a Micromega Stage 2 CD player that sounded and looked superb when it wasn't skipping. Only problem was that it was usually skipping. I Lost count of the times it went back to the dealer.

Ouch!, opened a can of worms there didn't I :D

I think the Micromega sound is a musical one rather then clinical so I do find it enjoyable, would have loved a stage 6 myself but was too expensive to consider.

I would like to hear the Micromega DAC but like many things I'd probably not be able to audition it at home as there is no dealer in town for this brand.

I have no real reason but somehow Cyrus is not a brand that has ever won me over.

Creek and Rega I do have time for and will try and listen to these when equipment is available.

Avondale, a brand I have heard of but not listened to.

Interesting that you should mention Linn as they have had some decent CD player reviews in the past so would definitely here one of these and I think quality is assured with this brand.

However, I do wonder if some of the newer players are better as these are getting pretty old themselves now.

Cool, I'll have to get a listen to one then!
How's it sound? Seems it could be a very good option when partnered with an airport express for a sensibly priced steaming system.

It seems crazy to me that a manufacturer would cripple a dac by making it USB only but that's what quad have done on their new dac. It's a shame because I like quad products as do many but it's useless with most streamers and all CD players.
Apologies for the late, and as you'll soon see, inadequate, reply!

The MyDAC is in a system I've cobbled together while on a contract, which consists of some Epos floorstanders I bought a while ago - they were cheap - and don't particularly like, and a Pioneer amp which reviewed well in a German mag and was similarly cheap. I've never heard it in my other system, which is currently in storage, so it would be unfair to compare it with the other DACs I've tried in that.

In fact, the only DAC I can compare it with is the FiiO D3, which lacks a bit in treble and detail in comparison. I'll be upgrading the speakers shortly so might be able to give you a better answer then.

I had a Micromega Stage 2 CD player that sounded and looked superb when it wasn't skipping. Only problem was that it was usually skipping. I Lost count of the times it went back to the dealer.

I had a new Stage 2 back some time ago. It too skipped and went back and forth to dealer and factory. I liked the sound though. I then took a Stage 5 where I was told it didn't have this problem... but not too late after developed it. This was back in mid 90's I'm sure. I don't think I could put up with the sitting on edge again waiting for it to skip in its strange manner.

Ouch!, opened a can of worms there didn't I :D

I think the Micromega sound is a musical one rather then clinical so I do find it enjoyable, would have loved a stage 6 myself but was too expensive to consider.

I would like to hear the Micromega DAC but like many things I'd probably not be able to audition it at home as there is no dealer in town for this brand.

I have no real reason but somehow Cyrus is not a brand that has ever won me over.

Creek and Rega I do have time for and will try and listen to these when equipment is available.

Avondale, a brand I have heard of but not listened to.

Interesting that you should mention Linn as they have had some decent CD player reviews in the past so would definitely here one of these and I think quality is assured with this brand.

However, I do wonder if some of the newer players are better as these are getting pretty old themselves now.

I think with linn CD players if you like them you love them. I have had every Lk sized player a cd12 and a unidisk 1.1 in the past and loved all of them, I have had a few kariks and I'm on my second ikemi !

I think the Apollo gives the genki a run for it's money and the Saturn gives the ikemi a run for it's money, the deal maker for the linn for me is that I have other linn stuff.

I suggested a genki because they sell for bargain prices, they are super reliable, they sound great and they are front loading.

I think with linn CD players if you like them you love them. I have had every Lk sized player a cd12 and a unidisk 1.1 in the past and loved all of them, I have had a few kariks and I'm on my second ikemi !

I think the Apollo gives the genki a run for it's money and the Saturn gives the ikemi a run for it's money, the deal maker for the linn for me is that I have other linn stuff.

I suggested a genki because they sell for bargain prices, they are super reliable, they sound great and they are front loading.

Interesting what you say about the Saturn, I am assuming that due to the Company's backgrounds they are going to sound not disimilar and leaning towards an analogue type presentation.

Great advice and I'll put these two brands on my search list to listen too as potentially they could be ideal.

Simon

advertisement

Back