advertisement

Tommy or Quadrophenia?

onlyconnect

pfm Member
Tommy by The Who was one of the first rock albums I heard. I was entranced by the artwork as well as the music.

Then came Quadrophenia and I preferred it. All that teen angst perfectly captured. Nice sea noises. More powerful songs.

Now I find I listen more to Tommy. Especially the first part with the mainly instrumental Overture, Underture and Amazing Journey/Sparks.

Tim

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but most of the music in Quadrophenia was NOT by the Who, (and a lot better for it.)

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but most of the music in Quadrophenia was NOT by the Who, (and a lot better for it.)

Not sure what you mean, but the music which comprises Quadrophenia is entirely written by Pete Townshend, he even performed and recorded the whole thing first, by himself, to present to the rest of the band.

mat

I'll go for neither. Can I have Slade In Flame instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quadrophenia every time for me. Had it bought for me when it was released when I was 12. One of those "albums for life". Don't play it often but when I do it is special.

Easily Quadrophenia for me - spookily just been playing it to give my new LS50s a work-out. Love it when The Real Me kicks in - really tests the system. Must say though I think it's an impossible choice between Quadrophenia and Who's Next.

Same here. Find the music and the sound of Quadrophenia a lot more appealing and..well..a bit more mature.
Tommy as a concept was more fun though

Neither. And if you held me at gunpoint I'd choose Quadrophenia. Rock and Opera don't go well together. There's not enough fluency in the lyrics, the singing is awful and the music is just not it. The Who did better stuff than this (and I can't stand Roger Daltrey). Some of Pete Townsend's solo stuff is OK.

Hope I die before I get old (talkin' bout my G-g-g-eneration).

Tommy has a special place in my heart because I saw the movie when I was waaay too young for it, an experience to which I attribute some of the damaged bits of my psyche that I'm most fond of.

But musically, Quadrophenia and Who's Next are on a whole other level.

Quadrophenia, it's stunning. 'Love reign over me' is simply superb.

Bought a copy off TonyL on here and it's one of the best pieces of vinyl I own.

if quadrophrenia the musical ever comes on again, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Saw it in Cheltenham. All musical no extra words entire set of quadrophrenia + a several other old who number + I think two non who sixties tracks.

two versions of love reign o'er me - the first was sung by a girl - in the style i imagine Maggie Bell would have done it. just one of the best performances I've heard in decades

Quadrophenia. Some of the string synth arrangements are very nice indeed. My first copy bought when released wore out, the second copy bizarrely was claimed by the sea and my third copy gets played occasionally for the education of the neighbours.

Nice sea noises.

Nice sea noises?

I can't even begin to reply to that; the whole metaphorical crashing violence against calm and serenity; excitement and warmth of family summer holidays vs. the desolate and lonely underbelly when the crowds have gone.

NICE SEA NOISES?!!!

Quadrophenia is the landmark album of my life, almost, and one of the reasons I eventually landed in Brighton.
The track Quadrophenia (side 1) sums it all up and the strangled guitar sound that tries to scream, but just sounds weedy and inadequate, is so emotionally powerful. This album, and that track in particular, is art in it's highest form.

I also once made the mistake of buying the Quadrophenia 'Soundtrack' CD which contains songs by others that popped up during the film, and isn't anything to do with the main event. It isn't clear, but the blessing with that it that, PaulMB, you haven't yet heard one of the most powerful and beautiful albums made in the 20th Century, and have all that to come. You lucky, lucky man.

Nice sea noises?

I can't even begin to reply to that; the whole metaphorical crashing violence against calm and serenity; excitement and warmth of family summer holidays vs. the desolate and lonely underbelly when the crowds have gone.

:) ever heard of understatement?

I love Quad too.

Tim

One of my first records was the who live at leeds, and ten I bought quad. Soundtrack to my teenage years. I went all sophisticated after that and missed who's next until later.Tommy was missed as Iwas too young, but discovered it through the opera with richie havens and others. great.

I can't understand why anyone doesn't like the who. A mistery.

advertisement

Back