advertisement

You know your hifi is right when...

No hifi will ever make me appreciate ‘heavy metal’or 95% of rock/folk/country music . Voices are the problem. I just don’t like ‘em. Hifi is irrelevant.
The hardest thing to get right are voices. The FR of the human voice spans at least one crossover in a multi-way loudspeaker. If it ain't right, music becomes irrelevant. In that case, the hifi is wrong and not fit for purpose.

I certainly appreciate that voices are hard to get right , but you can tell from a cheap transistor radio whether you can tolerate a singer’s voice or not.
:)

I certainly appreciate that voices are hard to get right , but you can tell from a cheap transistor radio whether you can tolerate a singer’s voice or not.
That's because most cheap transistor radios are crossoverless. It's not so much the FR extremes but the middle bits that are the most important.

The logic here is that if the speaker is ‘right’ , then I would appreciate or enjoy types of music, albums and singers which until now I dislike. The latter is just not possible (for me). I agree - it IS the midrange which is telling me that l don't like this or that singer.

I had one of those experiences last night when I turned the system on at 10pm just for an hour before going to bed. I stumbled across Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album and found myself surprised at being enthralled by the production and soundstage. Drifted in to Cajun, old blues and Billie Holiday. Not my usual choices, but enjoyed them all. Begrudgingly went to bed at 1am.

Don't you just love evenings and mornings like this.

Nearly there with my 'entry level' all rega gear (plus the linn LP12) Now the music is engaging ( a friend's system provides all the same information, but just isn't involving/engaging to me) When I sort out my cartridge anomoly (see other posting) then I will be there (apart from an upgrade to the Cdp and a better phono stage- bugger, I'm still at it- this curse of audiophilia!) Need to start listening to music, not the sounds!
Still, better to be an audiophile than a paedophile!

its right for me when my hifi leads me to new unfound music that I would never have considered before. I thank Spotify a lot for this, as it allows easy streaming, minimal cost, which then leads onto the most important item - buying and listening to said purchases.

Oh and if SWMBO, says turn it up, done deal.

advertisement

Back