advertisement

Media player for music

Radfordman

pfm Member
For years I liked versions of Winamp, don't like new versions, too heavy and buggy, same sort of thing with MediaMonkey.

This seems quite good, a bit quirky, but soon get used to it, and, I reckon may well sound better than most others. Free too. I have used their converter for years, but only just tried their player

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dbpoweramp.htm

Have you tried JRiver? I did use Winamp and others for a time but IMO this is the best player for Windows.
Del

I have to say that (free) Foobar stands up very well indeed, if you're after a simple player with top notch sound quality.

Make sure you use the new WASAPI driver!

I tried Foobar a while back, was OK, but needed to mess around to configure it.

Think, but not sure that I tried JRiver, so will try again, must say that my music sound good using dBpoweramp Audio Player.

Anyone who believes that there is such a thing as a computer (i.e. Windows/Linux/Mac) player that will perform at its best without some "messing about to configure it" is probably living in cloud cuckoo land.

You are an audiophile man!

Messing around to configure it is what you are supposed to do! ;)

p.s. you will need to mess around and configure both JRiver and Foobar. "WASAPI event" are the magic words in both cases.

Just tried JRiver, some nice features, but I reckon that dBpoweramp Audio Player sound better as out of the box.

I'm running XP, so don't think WASAPI applies.

Going to try Foobar again.

I'm running XP, so don't think WASAPI applies.

True. It's worth persevering getting "kernel streaming" working - the XP bodge similar to WASAPI. You will need an add on component for this in Foobar, though JRiver supports it directly - look in playback options / audio out.

True. It's worth persevering getting "kernel streaming" working - the XP bodge similar to WASAPI. You will need an add on component for this in Foobar, though JRiver supports it directly - look in playback options / audio out.

Already downloaded "ASIO output support" for Foobar, Foobar sounds similar to Poweramp Audio player, but too much messing with Foobar to get it as I would want it.

Can't find how to search the drives for music in Foobar for one thing.

Already downloaded "ASIO output support" for Foobar, Foobar sounds similar to Poweramp Audio player, but too much messing with Foobar to get it as I would want it.

Can't find how to search the drives for music in Foobar for one thing.

File/Preferences/Media Library/Add

I'm quite happy with XP pro and Linux, I do have Windows 7 as well but don't like it for several reasons.

If you have it running on a dedicated PC and are using the media player only what difference can it make. Focus the OS for sound, regardless of operational preference.

If you have it running on a dedicated PC and are using the media player only what difference can it make. Focus the OS for sound, regardless of operational preference.

I'm just using one desktop for many things, including sound.

advertisement

Back