advertisement

"A" Class amps

bob57

I have a Sugden A21mk2 amp and would like to try a more powerfull "A" class amp. Can anyone suggest anything comparable to the Sugden in pure class A.
I am already considering the newer A21a and the series 2 and also the SE but have yet to see them come up on the second hand market and am hoping that maybe there are other amps out there on ebay or the like that may be good alternatives to the Sugden in pure "A" Class.
Regards Bob

I like to try different amps to see how they perform and with different sources. Although I am running out of space so will have to stop soon.
I enjoy my music but also enjoy trying different components to see how they sound, and how the sound compares to their reviews.
Regards Bob

If you're able to get away with older designs in power amps?, then either a Forte Model 1a or 4a would certainly serve as a very nice sounding choice. These are both rated at 50 w/pc pure class A. These were often used with something along the lines of an Audio Research SP - 9 MK III or Conrad-Johnson PV-5 of the time. NOS in vintage, but highly musical none the less.

Just a thought,
o_O scar

Krell ksa 50, shouldn't be more than £1200, in good nick. Proper Class A too. Mind you, it isn't the exact type of technology that determines sound, it is how well it is done. so some class a/b amps sound just as good.
And then, if you really want an adventure, why not try the wonderful world of valve amps?

I have a Sugden A21mk2 amp and would like to try a more powerfull "A" class amp. Can anyone suggest anything comparable to the Sugden in pure class A.
I am already considering the newer A21a and the series 2 and also the SE but have yet to see them come up on the second hand market and am hoping that maybe there are other amps out there on ebay or the like that may be good alternatives to the Sugden in pure "A" Class.
Regards Bob

Maybe changing speakers to slightly more effective ones might do the trick ?

Regards Bob

Hi Bob,

We really like Sugden (which reminds me), but you're more than welcome to visit and compare to the ATC Class A/B design.

Regards,
Peter

[...] And then, if you really want an adventure, why not try the wonderful world of valve amps?

If you like living dangerously - they can be quite scary when a power tube goes !!!

Personally, I am seriously looking at a class A solid state amp - I rather like the idea of the amp not bursting into smoke/flames while I leave the room for a couple of seconds to use the loo.

Regards Bob

Hi

I changed from one of your amps to an Electrocompaniet amp which had a lot more power

Maybe worth a look?

If you like living dangerously - they can be quite scary when a power tube goes !!!

Personally, I am seriously looking at a class A solid state amp - I rather like the idea of the amp not bursting into smoke/flames while I leave the room for a couple of seconds to use the loo.

It`s suprising how often that doesn`t happen.

Keep the Sugden or go tube. Seriously.

Ditto. I like the Sugden A21 a lot but now I've got 45 Watts of pure class A via a set of KT120s that are having an easy life (i.e. should last for ages) I doubt I will be changing.

The problem with the A21 is all the vintage circuitry of the preamp section that the signal has to pass through before reaching the class A power amp....
I also have one of these in my collection but I only used it once as I found it a bit too warm and veiled..... Amazingly good for the time though!
I use class A amps most of the time in my main system and swear by them though ;)

In truth, I have had more exploding solid state amps than valve ones (true!).

Solid state is much more reliable, especially power amps, but valve amps are much easier to repair when they do go wrong.... swings and roundabouts.

advertisement

Back