advertisement

Debussy question

neil

Wish I could re member
Can anyone recommend a really good recording (preferably vinyl) of Debussy's Suite Bergamasque? I'm after the Clair de lune piece.

Can anyone recommend a really good recording (preferably vinyl) of Debussy's Suite Bergamasque? I'm after the Clair de lune piece.

Go on spotify and listen to a bunch. It's a piece that's so over-played that there are millions of interpretations. Some are clean and simple ranging to gushingly romantic.

Whatever version you go for, do listen to the rest of the suite. All great music and the last, Passepied is one of my favourites.

Cheers,

Nic.

Nic, I've no means of listening to it other than through the laptop speaker which I'd say is unlikely to show any piece of music off at its best.

Thanks anyway

My Penguin Stereo Record guide recommends the Ansermet recording - Decca SPA 231. It's an anthology of some of Debussy's most popular works ..

For Debussy I'd check out the following pianists: Gieseking, Michelangeli (not sure he did CdL), Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Pascal Roge, Zoltan Kocsis. Not sure how many of those were released on LP though (Gieseking certainly).
As Ansermet was a conductor, I fear this might be an orchestral transcription.

sorry guys - didn't put my brain in gear before posting!

Try HMV HQS 1262 with Daniel Adni - they call it "an outstanding collection in every way".

Jean-Efflam Bavouzet's version on Chandos is absolutely superb, best I've heard. CD not LP but the recording/sound quality is excellent.

Nic, I've no means of listening to it other than through the laptop speaker which I'd say is unlikely to show any piece of music off at its best.

Thanks anyway

Disagree. You could pop a pair of headphones in and get perfectly acceptable sound for making comparisons between recordings. TBH if you're after vinyl your choices are more limited but some of the recommendations above seem sensible. Oddly I don't own a copy of the Bergamasque - but then I can play it myself ;)

Disagree. You could pop a pair of headphones in and get perfectly acceptable sound for making comparisons between recordings. TBH if you're after vinyl your choices are more limited but some of the recommendations above seem sensible. Oddly I don't own a copy of the Bergamasque - but then I can play it myself ;)

Now you are just inciting my envy. I really wish I could play a musical instrument

OK Mike...as you're expecting it:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Actually I got introduced to Reverie with his version and thought it was lovely. So there. ;)

Let me know when you're changing that Beemer. x

Thanks to all those for advice. Found a copy of the Adni version on eBay and bought it today. Just got to wait for it to turn up now!

advertisement

Back