advertisement

Any recommendations for nice female vocals please?

arcam_boy

pfm Member
Hi,

I'm wondering if you lovely people could throw around a few names of some female artists / albums / songs for me to have a listen to.

I'm in to stuff like Florence + the Machine, Sia, Emeli Sande, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Diana Krall and I was wondering if there's anything out there a little of the beaten track that I'm missing?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Mark :)

Depending on how old you are you might have missed out on Joni Mitchell first time around. Apart from some horrid Eastenders drum effects in the 80s, her entire catalogue is worth a listen, especially the Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter period.
Lucinda Williams
Rikki Lee Jones
Billie Myers
Shaun Colvin
Edie Brickell
Kathryn Williams
Suzanne Vega
have all made excellent albums.

a search on spotify would be worthwhile not forgetting some of the oldies are still cutting edge

ella fitzgerald
sarah vaughan
cleo laine
pointer sisters

an endless list

Aretha
Dionne Warwick
Carly Simon
Natalie Merchant

Partly depends if you want female singers with a bit of rock - or something more soulful or acoustic

I rather like Margo Timmins of The Cowboy Junkies.

Quiet, almost whispered, jazz-tinged country rock. The Trinity Session and The Caution Horses are their best records. They do a lot of covers and their version of Sweet Jane from the former is exquisite.

Kate Rusby has a wonderfull voice. I recomend Awkward Annie.
Beth Jeans Houghton is also worth a listen.

Many thanks for the excellent replies!

I will start having a listen through some of them and see which one's to buy for my collection.

Many thanks again
Mark :)

Cocteau Twins
Joan as Police woman
Beach House
PJ Harvey

They may not all be to your taste,but you should definitely check them out.

If you want to try some folk, i would recommend Emily Smith, June Tabor and Sandy Denny. Mandy Prior with Steeleye Span could sing a bit, too.

advertisement

Back