advertisement

£750 - Speakers that sound like an ES14?

syep2001

pfm Member
Let me explain..

Have borrowed a pair of es14s lately I'm replacement of my Proac 1SCs

I really like them and am enjoying better bass and imaging

What else is there that will give me the thump of the es14 and mids but retain the 1sc top?

Any ideas?

£750 ish to spend

I wouldn't say 14s have a thump in the bass at all, in fact they can be a bit light but have a very good tuneful bass, tight and agile. They are superb in the mids.

The 1SC is also a superb speaker, I have had both.

The Naim SBL might be the way for you to go.

For £750 I think you'll struggle to get anything nearly as good as an ES14. One of the best speakers ever made, in my opinion. If you value the top end of the 1SC the most and want a fuller sound, then a bigger set of Proacs would be the way to go but I can't see you retaining the drive and all round enjoyment that the Epos' can provide.

Let me explain..

Have borrowed a pair of es14s lately I'm replacement of my Proac 1SCs

I really like them and am enjoying better bass and imaging

What else is there that will give me the thump of the es14 and mids but retain the 1sc top?

Any ideas?

£750 ish to spend

I don't know very much about the ES14 aside from hearing them, and very nice they are too.

IIRC there are different tweeters to the early ones that most find less bright and forward compared to the later 14's. So I guess the early ones would be a good place to start. You should be able to get a pair for under £300. £400 saved into the bargain, though you will need some stands as well.

I was going to suggest a good pair of used 14s and save some money, clearly it's the es14 sound you like so it's what you should be buying.

you will have money left for some very good stands such as partington dreadnoughts!

+1
I was about to say the same, the Epos ES 14's are (in my experience) an excellent speaker even now after being launched approximately 20 years ago. I liked them back in 1991 and traded my Kan's Mk1 in for them which had previously served me well.

I like them so much that I have 2 pairs boxed and saved for an extra sound room I have planned and had I not been using Audio Note AN/E (the SPE/HE fancy jobby) with valve amps I think the Epos 14's may have been making the excellent sounds they are capable of.

Add a couple of good subs cost in some time integrating the two. If its a thump you need that way you keep the ES14s you clearly like and add some weight only where its needed. A couple of BK's XLS200s will suit that budget.

2nd hand tatty mk 1 chipboard single wired ES14s

like mine

stuff the ports with old wooly socks & change the tweeter cap with a polypropaline 2.2 uF .

Next question . . . . .

Cheers, HBS

;-[]

Add a couple of good subs cost in some time integrating the two. If its a thump you need that way you keep the ES14s you clearly like and add some weight only where its needed. A couple of BK's XLS200s will suit that budget.

one Rel Stadium will do the trick nicely

one Rel Stadium will do the trick nicely

I really seriously doubt it. The trick is to have a pair of smaller sub to keep bass agile to keep up with the 6.6" driver of the ES14. People always make this mistake with subs, they overkill and buy a big feckoff single sub and complain when the bass isn't integrated properly. 2 x 10" subs under driven will work better in a music context than a single massive one. You want it to pick up and occasionally twhack and still have it channel coherent and not be a constant part of the programme flubbing indistinctly in the lower regions everywhere.

I'd probably look at a cap change after all these years first, also...

I really seriously doubt it. The trick is to have a pair of smaller sub to keep bass agile to keep up with the 6.6" driver of the ES14. People always make this mistake with subs, they overkill and buy a big feckoff single sub and complain when the bass isn't integrated properly. 2 x 10" subs under driven will work better in a music context than a single massive one. You want it to pick up and occasionally twhack and still have it channel coherent and not be a constant part of the programme flubbing indistinctly in the lower regions everywhere.

I'd probably look at a cap change after all these years first, also...

I'm with you on this one fox. I used to have a REL Stentor and it was just so so. I now use a 10" BK 200 and it's nigh on perfect with my IBL's. I'll saddle up my pony and be out of here...

I used a Rel Stadium very successfully with ES14’s for many years. In fact, my own experience of small subs is that they don’t work that well.

Eventually I moved on from my beloved ES14s to Yamaha NS-1000Ms. However, if buying new, there is nothing in the region of £700 to compare to them (not a great deal second hand either).

As for changing the capacitor, well there is only one (only one component in the whole crossover in fact) and it is easy enough to replace with a polypropylene one.

advertisement

Back