advertisement

NACA5 in non Naim system. What is best alternative

monty

pfm Member
Hi,

I'm still using white NACA5 in my system. I used to have a full Naim set up, however, I'm now using a valve amp with my Mac/Young and Gyrodec/Dino sources.

Is NACA5 a good choice? It seems to work fine but I'm aware I could get a better performance using something else?

Can anyone suggest anything? My budget would be around £30-£40 per m and I'd need 2 x 5m lengths as I assume I need same lengths for each speaker.

I'm guessing I could sell by 2 x 5m NACA5 for about £80 to fund the move.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm still using white NACA5 in my system. I used to have a full Naim set up, however, I'm now using a valve amp with my Mac/Young and Gyrodec/Dino sources.

Is NACA5 a good choice? It seems to work fine but I'm aware I could get a better performance using something else?

Thanks

How did you become 'aware I could get a better performance using something else'? Your NACA5 works fine doesnt it? Seriously you'll get some great advice. Keep the NACA5.

as I assume I need same lengths for each speaker.

In most instances this is wrong, although some amps have a requirement for a minimum length of speaker cable for them to work at their optimum..
Personally (having moved away from Naim years ago) I run speaker cable lengths that are convenient.. One side is 5m the other is 1.5m

Sam

Hi,

Can anyone suggest anything? My budget would be around £30-£40 per m and I'd need 2 x 5m lengths as I assume I need same lengths for each speaker.

I'm guessing I could sell by 2 x 5m NACA5 for about £80 to fund the move.

Thanks

I was in exactly the same position post a full naim system.
I changed the speaker cable to some Chord silver stuff cos I thought it was the right thing to do. Hated it the day I bought it, hate it 3 years later. Kept thinking it would 'run in' or something silly.
I wish I'd kept my NACA5...

Hi,

I got rid of my NACA5 best thing I ever did.

Try some cheap 79 strand from maplins for a simple check.

Pete

I used to have A5. Like you, used to have largely Naim set-up.
Moved on to Avondale Blacklink which I preferred to A5.
Now, with my Orbe, Mac/Young DAC/ Graaf valve amp & Focals, I use TelluriumQ Blue which is yet another step up.
TelluriumQ Black is supposedly better still, & I will try it at some point to see if it works for me.
The TelluriumQ stuff has been debated here & on other hifi fora. I have no Techy knowledge, no idea why it should sound different to other cables, but I have found that it does for me, anyway.
I guess Chord is another brand to try. I wouldn't worry about equal run lengths, but would say to try before parting with your £££ if at all possible.
Matt.

Yes TQ Blue would be a good alternative and similar price to A5, I use TQ Black in all Naim set up bar the LP12 of course, it is very good if a bit pricey.

Recently switched from old QED 79 strand to used NACA5. Quite a difference in sound. Can now understand every word every singer sings- why did I think that unclear vocals where I have to guess the words was normal? Better bass extension, subtle percussion now heard rather than blurred sound from an unknown musical instrument. Vocalists can now be heard separately but in perfect harmony. No area where there wasn't an improvement. I'd keep what you already have.

Recently switched from old QED 79 strand to used NACA5. Quite a difference in sound. Can now understand every word every singer sings- why did I think that unclear vocals where I have to guess the words was normal? Better bass extension, subtle percussion now heard rather than blurred sound from an unknown musical instrument. Vocalists can now be heard separately but in perfect harmony. No area where there wasn't an improvement. I'd keep what you already have.

Now try Tellurium Q black!

There are some strange suggestions here, but also some very sensible ones; the posts that suggest keeping the NAC A5 !:)

For what it's worth, I still have 11m runs of NAC A5 and Chord Odyssey, alternating about every 6 months or so. They are different, but my preference? NAC A5 at the moment. However, the Chord has merit when I'm using it, with a generally leaner presentation but possibly better clarity. These are now used with E.A.R. valved monoblocs, although much else is Naim.

The Naim cable, for what it costs, is a bloody good all-rounder, and I guess that if it's good enough for Naim to accompany £16-18K amplification (and probably decent speakers) without them introducing a money-spinning new upgrade cable, then it can't be bad !

Now maybe something like Chord Sig., with its chunky cores, may be the icing (or not), but the phenominal cost of this precludes experimentation for middling lengths, let alone 11m !!:(

Am I missing something or do you guys really think £16/m is a reasonable price for what can't possibly be worth more than 50p/m? It's copper wire, FFS!

I am using Zu wax within a valve amp set up which is no longer available (but new stuff is available soon)- recently tried Tellurium black which was very good indeed which is not cheap around £400 for 2x 5m runs but was worth it IMHO for the return in sound also tried chord cables which were not to my taste and Naim naca5 which sounded shut in compared to TQ and Zu.

advertisement

Back