advertisement

I can't be arsed

Antibubble

pfm Member
I read sometimes with interest and sometimes with amusement the threads on cables and the like. But i'm feeling a little like an outsider; I don't think I'm a proper audiophile/phool.
I borrowed a toslink cable to compare to my Flashback Spdif. I sat down with some Deep Purple and listened, it was so entertaining I could not be arsed to stand up and change the setting on the Young DAC. It's not that I don't care about the sound, i do, I'm the first to moan at the pub or anywhere there is a sonic travesty and (music) is hurting my ears. But sometimes It's nice not to care to much and just listen.
Do I need aural medicine? can someone please help me from falling into the pit of audio mediocrity.
I am still not sure which cable I was listening to, probably the original Spdif.

Congratulaions, you win a prize.

The prize is to enjoy your music without worrying about whether there's a better preamp available, or whether your system really deals with transients adequately, and how long it is since you last polished your interconnects.

Sit back, enjoy the ride.

This thread surprises me because I wonder how many times you must have listened to Deep Purple, and still find it highly entertaining? Nothing wrong with Deep Purple, but I do sometimes wonder how people listen to the same music they did since the 70's without getting bored of it!

I read sometimes with interest and sometimes with amusement the threads on cables and the like. But i'm feeling a little like an outsider; I don't think I'm a proper audiophile/phool.
I borrowed a toslink cable to compare to my Flashback Spdif. I sat down with some Deep Purple and listened, it was so entertaining I could not be arsed to stand up and change the setting on the Young DAC. It's not that I don't care about the sound, i do, I'm the first to moan at the pub or anywhere there is a sonic travesty and (music) is hurting my ears. But sometimes It's nice not to care to much and just listen.
Do I need aural medicine? can someone please help me from falling into the pit of audio mediocrity.
I am still not sure which cable I was listening to, probably the original Spdif.

you are a role model, friend. all audiophiles should be like you. you dont need medicine...the ultrafidelistas do. see, youve cut to the heart of the matter. the music is all that is important.

I will say that you oughta branch out though. theres a hell of a lot of amazing music out there. new, exciting stuff.

I listen to 6 music all day long at work on a cheap tranny radio and at home I play a huge amount of Spotify or Radio Paradise through my cheap computer speakers. I love it. I find it addictive.

Notice how someone mentions "arse" and Arthur is the first to reply?
I worry about you, boy.

I listen to 6 music all day long at work on a cheap tranny radio and at home I play a huge amount of Spotify or Radio Paradise through my cheap computer speakers. I love it. I find it addictive.

you are my hero. guys like you give me hope for this hobby.

the gear/tweak obsessives tarnish the thing imo

I wish I weren't bothered by it all.

I have been messing around with hifi for some thirty years and have really enjoyed the music

I have had some terrible moments of confusion and indecision also

I recently had a crisis and couldn't work out why I was dissatisfied with what I was hearing

I eventually worked out that my daughter had knocked one of my speakers 5mm towards the wall

Speaker repositioned normality resumed.

Now I would rather not live like this, I would rather be happy with an iPod dock and a meridian zeppelin. I know I wouldn't be though.

I had only put Deep Purple on to warm up the amp having switched it off (heresy) as we went away for the night. Sat down when Woman from Tokyo came on, and didn't get up again until I was TOLD to put the children to bed.
Just to make amends, I put Pure Reason Revolution on later, but then I get all stressed because it's recorded 'hot' and the VU meter goes mental😠

I wish I weren't bothered by it all.

I have been messing around with hifi for some thirty years and have really enjoyed the music

I have had some terrible moments of confusion and indecision also

I recently had a crisis and couldn't work out why I was dissatisfied with what I was hearing

I eventually worked out that my daughter had knocked one of my speakers 5mm towards the wall

Speaker repositioned normality resumed.

Now I would rather not live like this, I would rather be happy with an iPod dock and a meridian zeppelin. I know I wouldn't be though.

Crisis? that's a joke right?

Dave, nothing wrong with a Zep in the kitchen. It ain't hi-fi, but it's clean and loud. All I need when I'm cooking. Good glass of wine and good music.

advertisement

Back