advertisement

Zu Denon 103

Good as they say?

Not able to comment on the Zu, but I have a Midas bodies ESCo 103. Wyndham at Esco believes it to be every bit a match for the ESCo Troika and my ears certainly like it. New £350 and the Midas body is around £100.

Cheers,

Nic.

Had a Zu 103 which was fantastic, it's even better now it's had the ESCo cantilever and tip, tracks superbly at 1.8-2.0g in a SME309.

I find these sort of questions puzzling. We are all well aware that there is a huge variety of opinions in this hobby. People often disagree.
So what use is someone else's opinion of a particular cartridge? How do you know whether their tastes are similar to yours? I suspect people just want someone else to help them make up their mind.
In truth, this sort of exercise (like the question ''which is the better speaker'') are just pointless, and possibly misleading. It is your taste, and your money. You have to make the judgement, not rely on others.

Paskinn, I agree that one needs to make ones own decisions and not be swayed by a forum.

There are however folk on here I know and trust and their opinion is interesting to me, there is also a vast range of different kit and combinations which I cannot sample.

pinkfish in the main I find a helpful good spirited place and a mine of information and experience.

Hi Gaius, I would be very keen to hear how you get on with this. Loads of questions ?
Is the Zu based on the DL 103 or the DL 103r ?
Denon make a DL 301, its a 103 in a DL 304 body, any one tried it ?
And if it works for you then what chance a Tigers-paw version , ribbed for strenth and with three point fixing for Linn and Naim aro headshels.

rosie

Hi Rosie

Zu is based on DL103.

I will be reporting back in due course with my findings, player needs to be rebuilt, again, first.

The new guise will be LP12/Khan/Geddon/CirKus/Aro/Chris Harben Plinth/Standard Linn sub chassis.

Your last point Rosie is right up my alley ;)

Thanks Gaius,

I am running LP12/Khan/Keel/Cirkus/Ekos/Radikal/Pre-fix. With a DL 304. The 304 needs retiping or replacing. The new list price of a DL 304 is , get this, £429, which puts it into Dynovector DV 20X2 contry where it just don't belong. Would like something with more drive, umph but also kind of like that Supex 900 Koetsu Black sound if you now what I mean. Zu may be what Iam looking for. Don't like spending daft money on cartridges , they wear out to fast. I blame the Khan,Keel,Radikal, just keep playing bloody records.

rosie

Yeah, know what you mean, sorry for our part in that!!!

If it helps I wore out my Koetsu Red last year.....been listening to the Lyra Delos which is superb and the DV XX2 which I'm not so keen on.

I have a sneaky feeling the Zu might be the very thing.

I've not owned a Zu 103 but I've owned plenty of original 103s, both nude, mounted on a flat piece of aluminium and both the 103 and R version mounted in solid aluminium housings. I liked both the solid housing versions, the R having a bit more drive to it. I've never had a 304 either and after reading Rosie's post I will have to try and get a listen to one or buy a used one as I've always regarded this cart as a solid bodied 103 with a better stylus profile and therefore expected it to sound better. I need to know!

Hi Chops54,
Its the Denon DL 301 Mk II that is a DL 103 in a DL 304 body. The DL 304 is something else ie. I don't think there is much DL 103 in the 304, I could be wrong. Beware the internet, just cos. I quite like something dose not mean you will.
I have had two DL 304's the first was better ! A good one is musical with a fab midrange. Not the most dynamic cartridge in the world but 4 stainless steel bolts help . My second DL 304 was a bit flat from new how ever we had builders in and there was a lot of plasterboard dust in the building, also my system moved on and may have exposed the cartridge. At the new price the DL 304 looks poor V.F.M , I think... But then I don't like paying daft money for cartridges.
Had DL160 many years ago ( more than 20 years ago ) and loved that , shame they stoped making it. Also Denon make a DL 301 which has a plastic body like the Dl 110 / Dl 160, its the Dl 301 Mk II thats metal.

rosie

Yeah, know what you mean, sorry for our part in that!!!

If it helps I wore out my Koetsu Red last year.....been listening to the Lyra Delos which is superb and the DV XX2 which I'm not so keen on.

I have a sneaky feeling the Zu might be the very thing.

LP12 + Khan on Peter Gabriel So , oh yeah.

Thanks rosie

Yes I'm aware of the 103/301 but from the data I've seen, pics etc I had an idea that that the basis for the 304 was the guts of the 103 with an improved cant and stylus profile in the familiar gold coloured aluminium housing. The impedance is also the same at 40 ohms and with the lower casing removed from a 304 it looks like a nude 103. This is what set me thinking I suppose.

You're quite right too that it's not that much of a bargain anymore either.

I've just ordered a standard grade Zu 103 that has just been retipped by Expert Stylus with their sapphire cantilever and Paratrace stylus; should be with me next week. I'm looking forward to trying it on my L-07D, but need to find a suitable lightweight (carbon fibre?) headshell in the first instance (the Zu is a heavy beast).

Will report back.

I use a Zu DL103 with ARO on a pretty standard LP12 Lingo. Its at ESCo at the moment having the new cantilever and stylus fitted, but even before that its been the best cartridge I've used. I've had two different Lyras, three different Deccas, a standard DL103 and a couple of Linns, but the Zu is the best overall music maker. It needs the heavy counterweight on the ARO, but so did my Lydian, and tracking at 2.5g "feels" heavy, but it tracks well, and sounds superb. Difficult to see the stylus when cueing, but I generally just play whole LPs.
Go for it, you wont regret it.

A quick point about the ESCo cantilever. It a mm or two longer than the stock item, easier to cue but may be a problem with the geometry in an Aro.

Might be worth checking with ESCo.

advertisement

Back