advertisement

Building LS3/5a 'Clones'

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I am considering constructing a pair of LS3/5a Clones. Have any members of this Forum made a pair ? All advice concerning drive units, crossovers, cabinets, etc. gladly received. Thanks MGM.

Hi Martyn,

Still havent built the AB-1 clones with the B110's you sold me yet. Falcon Acoustics do sell LS3/5a kits as does a Moldova seller on Fleabay - but you'll need to buy Jerry's crossovers for that option

Just about to order the AB-1 kit this week actually

Hi lsinclair - did you use MDF? was thinking of whether to leave it unpainted, stain it or veneering....the LS3/5as I have are walnut and the AB-1's even if manufactured by rogers wont be a perfect match in colour....when you seal the cabinets - what do you need to make them sealed tight?

I basically followed the instructions on the site mentioned above - I used MDF. I had the intention of veneering them in ash to match my 'LS3/5As' ,which were made from marine ply. Sadly I never got round to it, so I probably won't find similar veneer now. I'm pretty sure I used silicone sealant and neoprene strip to seal and rubbed wood filler into the gaps around the front and back panels.

I didn't bother with a crossover, just followed the suggestion and connected them in parallel. I was rather impressed with the result. But one day I will finish them...

I built a pair of clones based on the information from that site.

Used a monacor mid/bass unit (http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/monacor-sph-135ad-641-p.asp) and scanspeak tweeters and used a 2nd order linkwitz-Riley crossover. Couldn't source birch plywood so used locally available ply instead.

To be honest, you're probably better off buying kits that can be found on ebay such as http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=160752957787.

The problem with mine is the crossover, so it doesn't truly represent the LS3/5a sound. You can buy crossovers and other parts at http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/ls3-5a.html.

Good luck with the project.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Stirling kits on eBay are decent, if pricy. They are the same as the older Stirling LS3/5As or the Rogers 60th Anniversary models, and NOT the same as the current Stirling V2. They have Monacor woofers, not SEAS. Oddly, the woofers are dual voice-coil models.

I put a pair of them in the Moldovan cabinets, and they do what they're supposed to do. I like them a lot for radio or background music, but there's only so much a 5" woofer can do before you run out of dynamics.

Hi Martyn.

Still havent built the AB-1 clones with the B110's you sold me yet. Falcon Acoustics do sell LS3/5a kits as does a Moldova seller on Fleabay - but you'll need to buy Jerry's crossovers for that option

Just about to order the AB-1 kit this week actually

As I know Jerry, I might call and have a look at the Falcon cabinets. ( There's nothing like a 'hands on' experience...) When you get the kits and get them 'up & running' do post what you think of them. MGM

I built a pair of LS3 clones with Kef Drivers and Falcon X/over.
I belive the only material for the cabs is 12mm birch ply and corners braced with 10x10mm beach. Have since done a Solen 2 1/2 way in 18mm birch.

The Stirling kits on eBay are decent, if pricy. They are the same as the older Stirling LS3/5As or the Rogers 60th Anniversary models, and NOT the same as the current Stirling V2. They have Monacor woofers, not SEAS. Oddly, the woofers are dual voice-coil models.

I put a pair of them in the Moldovan cabinets, and they do what they're supposed to do. I like them a lot for radio or background music, but there's only so much a 5" woofer can do before you run out of dynamics.

Yank, how much was the whole project if you don't mind me asking.?

Yank, how much was the whole project if you don't mind me asking.?

The Stirling kit was ₤288, which included two Monacor woofers, two Scanspeak tweeters, two assembled crossovers, pre-cut and pre-finished baffle boards, and all the necessary hardware to assemble the above. I don't remember how much more they charged for the fully-assembled baffles, but I think it was well into the mid 300-pound range.

The cabinets from the Moldovan guy on eBay were $110/pair.

I am looking to build pair for my brother, based around Kef B110s that are reserved for me. I also sourced a pair of T27s, unused. Crossovers ( various types ) are available from Falcon Acoustics. ( Which type to go for...?) I have tracked down a pair of cabinets which need restoration . They are early Harbeth P3 ones made of ply . Early P3s had the same cabinets as Harbeth LS3/5as. The P3s later had MDF cabinets. The things you find out... Martyn Miles

For info. Falcon can supply, for a lower cost than a Stirling Broadcast, some of the ancillaries required to make up LS3/5as. Martyn .

I have a pair of Rogers FL-6 15 ohm cross overs...

I went for the Falcon FL6/23 crossovers in the end. The front baffles ( from Stirling ) are nearly made up with the drivers and crossovers fitted, the crossovers adjusted for the particular B110s and T27s used. The old Harbeth cabinets are looking good after the restoration.
A pair of Tygan grilles were sourced from Sid Chaplin at Traditional Radio Grilles. I am looking forward to finishing them and 'firing them up.'

I love it when someone uses the term clone for a speaker using different drive units, cabinet and crossovers LOL I must be my brothers clone as we are both male.
Rgds
Stuart

advertisement

Back