advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere on this (epic) thread, but the forum search tools have been no use in finding out.
I have just connected my MDAC via USB to my PC laptop running WIN7, using WASAPI (ASIO was a real PITA and I gave up). I have downloaded a version of the bitperfect test via google, as the Audiolab site didn't seem to have it available. I have a couple of questions:
1 - is there more than 1 version of the testfiles available, and if so, where can I get the latest?
2 - my player (using Foobar) passed the 16/44 test, but failed the 24/96 after 2 seconds. I saw something on my searches through the thread about a bug WRT the 24/96 test. Is this correct, and if so, how can it be rectified?
Thanks for lasting to the end of my questions, and I will be grateful for any help received.

Hi,

Just purchased fidelia music player for mac to use with the M-DAC, I just tried the bit perfect and fails everytime anyone had any look getting it to pass?

Also during playback the M-DAC display swaps between 16/24 bit for a slit second every couple of seconds.

The sound does have a notable improvement over iTunes / bitperfect but I have also lost the remote function via the M-DAC but can live with that for improvement .

Does it mean a failed bit perfect test means the sound quality is compromised ?

Any help would be welcome.

Thank you

Luke

Luke, you don't need any software player for the Mac just use iTunes, unless you have to use Flac. There's bugger all difference between any of them into the Mdac.

Does it always read 48kHz? If so, you might have ASIO4ALL's resampling enabled - you will need to select ASIO4ALL's advanced options to get to this to deselect it.

What does the status bar (bottom of Foobar screen) say about the file being played? The sampling rate will match the CDQ status if all is well.

Hi Plutox,

Sorry just saw your response, been off with the flu last few days.

Asio resampling is unchecked/off.

Status bar on foobar says: PCM | 1411 kbps | 44100 Hz | stereo

When i hover over the small green ASIO symbol on the bottom right corner of screen it says : 2048 samples @ 44100 Hz

The CDQ screen says 24bit/48.0k

It doesnt matter what i change the output to via foobar, display reads same as above on CDQ screen.

Would appreciate it if John, yourself or anyone in the know could help.

Thanks

Getting new belden cables between m-dac and atc 100 active. Power amp xlr configuration is 1 ground 2 negative 3 positive. Power amps in ATC speakers have a 47 Ohm resistor between pin 1 of their XLR inputs and ground. Any tips regarding correct cable configuration? For instance should the cable shield be connected on the m-dac side only or both sides or not at all? Should ground be connected? Anything else i should know? Many thanks!

Getting new belden cables between m-dac and atc 100 active. Power amp xlr configuration is 1 ground 2 negative 3 positive. Power amps in ATC speakers have a 47 Ohm resistor between pin 1 of their XLR inputs and ground. Any tips regarding correct cable configuration? For instance should the cable shield be connected on the m-dac side only or both sides or not at all? Should ground be connected? Anything else i should know? Many thanks!

Connect Ground on both ebds (Pin 1), but you can try the shield connected or unconnected at the Speaker end - what ever sounds (works) best.

John

Hi Plutox,

Sorry just saw your response, been off with the flu last few days.

Asio resampling is unchecked/off.

Status bar on foobar says: PCM | 1411 kbps | 44100 Hz | stereo

When i hover over the small green ASIO symbol on the bottom right corner of screen it says : 2048 samples @ 44100 Hz

The CDQ screen says 24bit/48.0k

It doesnt matter what i change the output to via foobar, display reads same as above on CDQ screen.

Would appreciate it if John, yourself or anyone in the know could help.

Thanks

What OS are you using - have your tried WMP?

John

Windows xp service pack 3

Not tried any other programmes, really do prefer foobar though as im quite familiar with it now.

Edit: if by WMP you mean windows media player then yes i tried just to see and it still reads sane as above

I reserved M-DAC from my local dealer but I already know I end up needing some additional attenuation...

Will the standard £289 M-PAX version allow to use the -12/-24/-36 dB attenuation feature or are the premium extras required?

Will the standard £289 M-PAX version allow to use the -12/-24/-36 dB attenuation feature or are the premium extras required?

Yes the M-PAX unit itself is the same for both versions - so you have -12/-24/-36 dB attenuation feature in both versions.

You can update the MDAC internal PSU at any time,

John

Windows xp service pack 3

Not tried any other programmes, really do prefer foobar though as im quite familiar with it now.

Edit: if by WMP you mean windows media player then yes i tried just to see and it still reads sane as above

What other applications are you running on your PC - Windows XP should replay file at there default setting unless another program requests a higher sampling rate - such a Skype...

There must be an earlier installed device or application that is forcing Windows to up-sample.

John

It does sound like the MDAC loosing lock as the Sonos controls the output frequency, the update "Should" solve this issue.

John
Thanks John. Will look out for the Beta update. Fingers crossed it fixes this. BTW - yes,the frequency display does jump around a bit when the Sonos is selected

What other applications are you running on your PC - Windows XP should replay file at there default setting unless another program requests a higher sampling rate - such a Skype...

There must be an earlier installed device or application that is forcing Windows to up-sample.

John

Thanks for your input John.

After much faffing around and uninstalling a whole bunch of programmes i was still getting 24/48. In a final attempt I uninstalled Foobar/asio (latest versions) and re-installed them but using the previous asio driver it started to work perfectly. In hindsight the problem might have been the latest version of asio because it was working fine before but at some stage after updating the driver and without me realising, it went wrong.

Thanks again

Hi John,

I've had my M-dac for about a month now and all I can say is thank you!

My music has never sounded so involving and enjoyable!

I know the pre-orders are well, pre-ordered, but could you put me down on the list for the second round, for the uprated M-pax (and any other udgrade lists, if they exist for this unit)?.

Cheers mate!

Also, it would be really helpful if there was a website will all of the main faq's for the unit listed, even if there's no official answer to the question, I've done a lot of reading (As a lurker) on this forum and so many questions get repeated it's unreal - might make your life easier ;)

Hi John,

Also, it would be really helpful if there was a website will all of the main faq's for the unit listed, even if there's no official answer to the question, I've done a lot of reading (As a lurker) on this forum and so many questions get repeated it's unreal - might make your life easier ;)

We could put a thread in the Trade announcements section if John wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back