advertisement

MDAC first listen (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,

We are forced to be deliberately coy about the inner workings of D3E (Digital Domain Deceleration) to protect our IP...

Plutox has grasped the basic idea, however we are not trying to "recreate" any audio data - rather preserve the genuine Audio data during the conversion process.

John

No worries John I thought that might be the case after posting :)

Whatever it is it does seem to make the sound a little more natural. Initially I preferred it off, but after a week felt that something was missing, turned it on and that feelings gone again. A subtle but worthwhile difference, like the filters.

Speaking of filters, after a LOT of experimenting - both via speakers and headphones - I've gone back to the Optimal Transient XP with D3E 'on' and am content to just leave it at that now, though I sometimes like the Minimal Phase for rock/metal as it seems to have slightly more punch and an impression of a fuller bass.

I think if there's any further revisions of the manual something should be mentioned about burn-in too; MDAC sounds like a different (far better) machine after nearly two weeks of near-constant use. It went through a stage where I really wasn't happy with it at all (I'm ashamed to say I was going to sell it), but (in a similar way to those that have experimented with Black Gate capacitors) it seemed to 'snap' into focus a couple days back. Scared to turn it off now incase I have to go through the entire process again - those tricksy PSU caps I'd wager!

Looking forward to the first official firmware update so I can get that display turned off at night ;)

Cheers,

- John

We are forced to be deliberately coy about the inner workings of D3E (Digital Domain Deceleration) to protect our IP...
This doesn't surprise me - your earlier answers have indicated as much. Are you going for a patent on D3E?

What surprises me is that nobody has attempted something along these lines before - common sense implies that if you are decoding a 16 bit signal with a 24 bit-capable processor, doing nearly anything with bits 16-23 (provided it correlates to the signal) is likely to be an improvement on doing nothing at all!

This doesn't surprise me - your earlier answers have indicated as much. Are you going for a patent on D3E?

What surprises me is that nobody has attempted something along these lines before - common sense implies that if you are decoding a 16 bit signal with a 24 bit-capable processor, doing nearly anything with bits 16-23 (provided it correlates to the signal) is likely to be an improvement on doing nothing at all!

Or even 32 bits.... Don't forget the ESS has a 32Bit input Data path....

I have a pair of HD650 with Moon audio V3 silver cables and they sound great.... however, the pair which gets most use due to comfort, while listening in bed (and no sound likage) is my Bayers 770 ... soo comfortable....

Thanks for all the feedback. Ended up with the HD650s in the end, just lovely.

I hope they work well, as I'm disappointed with the sound of my Martin Logan's CLSII - my current amps (no name mentioned) really are not happy.
John

My power amp only has to drive the electrostatic panels on my Summits as the internal power amps drive the bass units. My EAR890 sounds superb in this combination, but its not being asked to drive much at low frequencies. My old Naim 250 would shut down if I got over enthusiastic with the volume knob!

So, whilst you're waiting for the power amps to be physical, a shiny chrome EAR would do nicely!

So, whilst you're waiting for the power amps to be physical, a shiny chrome EAR would do nicely!

OK - I'll PM my address and you can send me yours :D

Valves do seem to work will with ESL's, even though you would think otherwise (ESL's require current)

John

I feel like I'm super-late to the party on this one - just got my MDAC this week for my balanced headphone rig, amazing work John, such an engaging sound.

Searching has proved fruitless so far; is there a price for MPAX yet...and can I join the waiting list ;) ?

I feel like I'm super-late to the party on this one - just got my MDAC this week for my balanced headphone rig, amazing work John, such an engaging sound.

Searching has proved fruitless so far; is there a price for MPAX yet...and can I join the waiting list ;) ?

Thank you for your feedback - I'm happy your enjoying your MDAC.

The M-PAX is still in development - and I still need to confirm that it brings a worthwhile improvement in SQ before it will be officially released.

Target Price is GBP289 In basic form, GBP349 for the Extended version which also updates MDAC's internal PSU board.

John

GBP349 for the Extended version which also updates MDAC's internal PSU board.

John

That sounds like something of a bargain to me in this age of over-priced Hi-Fi! Assuming you think it's an appropriate upgrade as/when it's finished I'd definitely like to pre-order an extended version when ready.

Well they be available in Silver & Black options to match the MDAC?

- John

P.S. Any chance you could use different PSU caps this time around to lesson the burn-in time? :p

Yeah use the good stuff, caps and all. I would be willing to pay more for a super premium version.

Hi John,

Loving my MDAC which just seems to get better and better. I used to listen to my music at weekends but now I listen to it everyday!

I'm just upgrading the power supply on my touch so might as well go the whole hog and do the same for the MDAC. So can you put me down on the ever increasing waiting list for the 'Extended' version M-PAX in black.

Interestingly when I playback the DVD-Audio of 'Moving Pictures' by Rush through the digital out of my Denon 3930 or Audiolab 8000CD the display shows 24bit/96Khz, but the ripped version I playback through the touch shows 16bit/96Khz (it momentariliy shows 24bit). I assume it must be something going on when I rip the music, but this is the only 24bit/96KHz disk it does this on - very odd!

thanks the info John, would you add me the waiting list for the extended version, pending it's release?

Hi John,

Loving my MDAC which just seems to get better and better. I used to listen to my music at weekends but now I listen to it everyday!

I'm just upgrading the power supply on my touch so might as well go the whole hog and do the same for the MDAC. So can you put me down on the ever increasing waiting list for the 'Extended' version M-PAX in black.

Interestingly when I playback the DVD-Audio of 'Moving Pictures' by Rush through the digital out of my Denon 3930 or Audiolab 8000CD the display shows 24bit/96Khz, but the ripped version I playback through the touch shows 16bit/96Khz (it momentariliy shows 24bit). I assume it must be something going on when I rip the music, but this is the only 24bit/96KHz disk it does this on - very odd!

Forget my mention of Audiolab 8000CD above (does not play DVD-Audio), had a mad 5 minutes.

This may have been covered elsewhere, apologies if it has. My MDAC is bringing me a huge amount of enjoyment in almost every respect except one. Sonos. The MDAC will periodically drop out for up to a second with this source, and the frequency of the dropouts can, at it's worst, make listening a frustrating experience. Is this the same issue I've seen others report with high jitter components such as TV's etc? And will the new software update fix it? (I have checked all cables, and run the Sonos though my AV DAC with no issues, so it is definitely the MDAC causing this)

Hi ADL,

I agree, I also hear differences when Bi-Wiring speakers - so your not alone.

With Bi-wiring you separate the heavy Low Frequency Current path from the lower current High Frequency Path - effectively isolating the voltage drop within the cable.

For the test to be valid, you would first have to try listening to the speakers still wired-up as "Non Bi-wired" but with the two sets of cables to each speaker (so the cables are paralleled) - this way you can confirm wither the effect you hear is due to simply Lower cable resistance - or due to separating the current paths (You would not need to separate the current paths if the cables had zero Resistance).

The effect on sound quality can be pronounced (for better or worst) so I'm surprised when people still argue about the benefits (effects) of Bi-Wiring...

John
Thanks John I will spend some time on this

Andrea

This may have been covered elsewhere, apologies if it has. My MDAC is bringing me a huge amount of enjoyment in almost every respect except one. Sonos. The MDAC will periodically drop out for up to a second with this source, and the frequency of the dropouts can, at it's worst, make listening a frustrating experience. Is this the same issue I've seen others report with high jitter components such as TV's etc? And will the new software update fix it? (I have checked all cables, and run the Sonos though my AV DAC with no issues, so it is definitely the MDAC causing this)

I have no problems at all with Sonos ZP90 connected to the mdac, what is your model?

I have no problems at all with Sonos ZP90 connected to the mdac, what is your model?
ADL - it's the same, the ZP90. I have been onto Sonos tech support as my first suspicion was the source, but they can see no issue from the diagnostics. I have tested plugging the ZP90 straight into my amp, via analogue out and by-passing any off board DAC, as well as going via Yamaha AV amp with a digitical coax. The dropouts do not occur with either of these alternatives, leading me back to the MDAC

Hi Matt,

We should have the more final Beta ready end of next week (Next Friday) - Lets see if this resolve the issue.

I clue maybe in the Frequency display, does it jump (or change value) just before / after the dropout?

John

ADL - it's the same, the ZP90. I have been onto Sonos tech support as my first suspicion was the source, but they can see no issue from the diagnostics. I have tested plugging the ZP90 straight into my amp, via analogue out and by-passing any off board DAC, as well as going via Yamaha AV amp with a digitical coax. The dropouts do not occur with either of these alternatives, leading me back to the MDAC

It does sound like the MDAC loosing lock as the Sonos controls the output frequency, the update "Should" solve this issue.

John

Hi John,

I have not been on here for a while so may have missed a few things.

I read a few pages back that you will be doing a CD/CDQ upgrade.
Will you also be doing a DQ upgrade if so what will the changes be and the cost of doing so?

Any plans to have any form of XLR bypass built in?

Thanks

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back