advertisement

Look what the cat dragged in (two Garrards)

I quite fancy keeping a 301 for myself, although I'm not sure I want to use it with a 3009. I should out of respect for posterity, but I'm tempted to opt for a better arm. What do you think?

I'm using a period correct 3009/DL-103 on my TD-124/II and it sounds lovely - not quite as dynamic or insightful as the M2-10/AT33PTG on my 301, but it does things very right indeed - it's just so welcoming, coherent and listenable somehow. I suspect with a nice SPU in place of the Denon it would suit me perfectly.

Oh my goodness!
You jammy bastard

It's like when you save someone's life, you have to be responsible for them from then on.
As you were given these, you have accepted responsibility to have each and every item restored so that it will live and be valued in the future, even if that means selling them for good money, which will ensure that they go to the right person. But the responsibility to undertake the restoration on each piece is yours and yours alone. You would be bringing real bad mojo if you didn't.

So...I guess we'll see this thread run and run as each item is given the full professional treatment.
Can't wait!

Don't separate the 301s from the SMEs either, and know which one lives with which.
You will have no problem selling them for profit, and I expect a few of us here might be fighting over them.

If there is any doubt as to the terms in which you have got these items then now is the time. If the owner has really said "I can't be bothered, take it away" then well and good, you are quids in. If he thinks he has some kind of tie to them then depending on your relationship with him it may be time to say "look, it turns out some of this stuff is potentially worth a few quid. It needs work though. I want to restore some of it and sell the rest on to fund it, but I don't want anyone claiming it after all that work, so what's the score? How about the price of a decent dinner for you and SWMBO, then it's mine and I'll sort it out and use it". That way it's reasonably yours and no debate.

He's right you know.
There should be some transaction, even if it's only a case of beer. But it's better if you give him £100 and write a receipt for it.

Also, don't forget that this encounter has turned up during a job. You must ensure that the boundaries are not blurred and when the job is done there isn't an element of "Well, I did let you have all that hifi gear" when you present your invoice.

The architect got permission from the owner for me to remove the kit. She said that he might be interested in "buying" some of it back once restored on account of the 'provenance'. The house and equipment was previously owned by someone who was quite well-known in the 80's. In other words I was given permission to enter the premises on the understanding that I could take ownership of the gear. I think that makes it mine. It will be a matter of courtesy to offer back to the house-owner any parts that I intend to sell, but I would guess that he may be willing to pay for my efforts and costs in any restoration.

Well known from the 80's with a well informed against the flow knowledge of hifi from the 60's and very early seventies - one wonders who

However as it may affect the price on ebay or anywhere else perhaps we shouldnt hear until the niceties are sorted

But ...

It could be anyone from the music biz, TV, theatre, or with connections to it, let's be honest. Garrards, Leaks and the like were all in studios and radio stations until the 80s and were cleared out pretty regularly. At that time they had no real value so generally just got dumped - if you want them take them away. I got a pile of RtoR decks from a guy who knew people at the BBC Leeds, he'd been given a Brenell out of their studios because by the 1980s who wanted a R to R?

I'm sure if you werea muician at any level and wanted some cast-off studio gear it was yours for loose change, and probably still is. These days they will be picking up Technics 1210s and modern active monitors but I'm sure at the time these were taken out they then had a similar status.

Yeah, like I said, Geoffrey from Rainbow.

Just out of interest, what would be the going price for one of these 301/SME combos fully restored do you think?

Look at this.
One day I'll have one of these babies

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
He's right you know.
There should be some transaction, even if it's only a case of beer. But it's better if you give him £100 and write a receipt for it.

Also, don't forget that this encounter has turned up during a job. You must ensure that the boundaries are not blurred and when the job is done there isn't an element of "Well, I did let you have all that hifi gear" when you present your invoice.

I see the source of the confusion as I have not explained in what capacity I attended the planning consultation. I was there because I live nearby, and locals were invited to view the refurbishment/development plans, so there is no work connection.

I don't think offering £100 will do. He is, erm, let's say 'independently wealthy'. To the extent that I don't suppose we'll ever meet. I will have to think of a more poignant gesture to thank him for his kindness.

I suggest that you have both decks/arms professionally refurbished, then offer him first refusal on one of them at what it actually cost to refettle.

So let's get down to business.

The decks go to Loricraft?

The arms go to Audio Origami?

The SPU G goes to ESC?

Who does the best sounding plinths? I've seen some very solid looking plywood ones. What's regarded as the best material for a standalone plinth?

As for the decks bare in mind that both Northwest Analogue and Audio Grail, both of whom service / restore Garrards, are paid-up pfm Trade Members, so why not send them a PM.

Holy crap - just looked on the Loricraft web site and saw that a typical 301 rebuild is usually 2200 quid. That's put a spanner in the works.

I haven't seen or heard any of Nothwest's Garrards but I have seen & heard 2 or 3 Audio Grail decks and can vouch for the thoroughness & quality of Matthew's work.

I can vouch for Northwest Analogue`s work too. Excellent service and mini refurbishment on my 401, only actually repairs what needs repairing. Dominic s Services come highly recommended in these parts, He also refurbishes tone arms and rebuilds cartridges, so would be a "one stop shop" in your situation Sonddek

advertisement

Back