advertisement

GB for drivers for Ergo IX

Uzinusa

Happy Chappy
I've decided to build (ahem with someone else doing the woodwork) a pair of James's Ergo IX, sealed-box stand mount speakers. For those of you who aren't familiar with this speaker here's some info: Ergo IX thread

This what they can look like but obviously the wood choice is up to you:
9343877-lg.jpg

pair.png

DSC_0879.jpg

7061106-lg.jpg

Whilst I can buy the drivers there's a 10% reduction if I purchase sufficient for 5 pairs of speakers. Therefore before I go ahead is anyone else interested in a small GB for the following drivers:

ScanSpeak : Link. List is £140 (GB of 5 = £126)

Morel CAT 378: Link. List is £47 (GB of 5 = £42.40)

If anyone may be interested post here and if we make the break then I'll see what can be done.
Cheers,
Andy

Another thought, if I could provide milled Corian front baffles, similar to the ply pair of Ergo IX above, would anyone be interested?

I might be interested too, Andy. I am located in Bulgaria though - hope the shipping won't be a problem for you.
Do you have all the require building details for the cabinets and crossovers, please?
Cheers,
Ivo

Thats two very important questions right there...
Crossover design/cost is an important factor
Shipping.. If they ship to you and you ship on it will kill any savings, but if they can ship directly to the customer at the GB price then that would be great (and would save you some hassle)

Also, can you do this all for free? ( :p )

Sam

Thats two very important questions right there...
Crossover design/cost is an important factor
There are two XO options. One for free-space and one for wall-mounting or rooms with high cabin gain (e.g. small masonry construction).

The XO has three caps, two resistors and two or three inductors, depending on the variant. Budget around $100 for XO parts, wires and terminals.

James

Hi James,
I am in the middle of reading the 19 pages of the original thread.
I suppose you will provide us with the promised build manuals and XOver diagrams - we count on you, please!
Cheers,
Ivo

Hi Ivo. I believe the designer of these beauties, James, is about to have this information make into a "sticky" on PFM. So yes, all info will be available, many thanks to James.
Glad to have you potentially onboard.
Andy

Hi, Andy - the more I am reading about IXs the more exited I am.
After first bodging my NAC, then assembling Buffalo, now in the middle of building HackerNAP it was about time to dyi a pair of speakers and Ergo IX seems the perfect start for me.
It's a bit risky since I've never listened to them but if I don't like them I will pass them to my son ;-) But I truly believe in James' designing skills and trust I will like them!
So, let wish us good luck and success with the new project and hope more people to join us!
Ivo

But I truly believe in James' designing skills and trust I will like them!
Thanks for your confidence. If it's any comfort, I like them too. As Andy pointed out, I will write up the build manual and specifications this weekend and post it on PFM as a sticky.

James

I'll also get price breaks for crossover components.

Mods if you have the inclination could you please change the thread title to "GB for Ergo IX Drivers and crossovers"

Andy

Andy, thanks for organizing the XO parts GB, as well!
What about the timber, please? Did you make your choice? I might be interested in 8 pre-cut slabs of American Walnut or Sapele wood which I might fine cut, polish and assemble here.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooo boy!

I can chop wood for fires, that's it :)

I don't think I can handle the timber side of things. Sorry

You are completely right - it's just I can't find some exotic timbre here but hope oak or cherry will do the job nicely, as well.
Cheers,
Ivo

Andy

I'd be interested in a set of drivers and crossover parts.
I'd also be very interested indeed in the CNC machined corian frontplate if you could source that

I've been thinking of building some IX's for a while now and just can't get rid of that little itch to try them

eddie

Crossover Components

OK, I've got some prices for the components needed:

1.0mH inductor (Jantzen 15AWG P-Core Part Num 5383) £9.83
0.27mH inductor (Jantzen 18AWG Air-Core Part Num 1635) £3.93
18.0uF capacitor (Jantzen Z-Standard) £15.68
3.3uF capacitor (Jantzen Z-Superior) £16.24
2.7uF capacitor (Jantzen Z-Standard) £3.83
4R7 resistor (Jantzen 10W MOX RSS5%) £1.10
7R5 resistor (Jantzen 10W MOX RSS5%) £1.10

These are the cost per speaker and include VAT. They can do 10% discount for 10+ and 15% for 50+

I'll let this thread run for a while then sum up and get going.
Andy

Andy, good work! We need just one more diy-er now to order the speakers.

Do you and James think the Jantzen caps are up to the task to build the "best sounding minimonitors"?

advertisement

Back