advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just off topic a little here as I need some help in sourcing Dali Silver Wave 4 speaker cable? Anyone know where I could get hold of these unterminated(Raw)? Thanks in advance.

John, FYI I'm currently using gold plated XLR connector for IC between MDAC to poweramp. There's gold/silver plated version.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-chassis-connectors/d-series/

Good to see they have Gold plated versions - But I cannot see how they are better quality then the XLR's fitted to MDAC...

I believe the M-PAX will result in a step improvement in the MDAC's SQ (If it does not I will cancel its release)...

John

Hi John , just been tinkering around with my new Squeezebox Touch and there was mention of the sync link mod optical and also power supply upgrades avail.

What sort of price are we looking at regards the power supply?
Few pages back you were deciding on how plush the terminals were and cost of tooling for the touchmod , for me I can easily live with out the analogue outputs.
What sort of timescales are we looking at ?

Just so I can budget purchasing the MPAX ..cheers

As a side note its all true what they say about the flakeyness of the SBT server , I'm only using USB drive at the moment and its dropped twice this evening. (make that 4 times now as I write this) So looks like another expense to get a server in place or new beefier nas. Sound wise the laptop via usb is still better. Playing Yes - Fragile - Heart of the Sunrise 96/24. Comparing optical vs coax as well.

Just wondering how much of an improvement we can get from the SBT ? Have you matched the quality of computer via USB and foobar in your tests ?

As I much prefer the usability of the SBT (excluding speed of internal server) and integration between Spotify, Internet Radio and cross fading playlists.

All good fun experimenting with the MDAC :D

Question for those of a technical disposition.

Hi,
I removed my interconnect from the Co-ax 1 input of my MDAC yesterday, and to my horrow the gold "bezel" and orange socket came with it ........! Is this something that can just be re-attached (by me - and if so is this an "open the unit" exercise) or do I need to get it back to the retailer/Audiolab?

Sorry if this a daft question, but thought I'd ask .....

Cheers

Ian

Good to see they have Gold plated versions - But I cannot see how they are better quality then the XLR's fitted to MDAC...

I believe the M-PAX will result in a step improvement in the MDAC's SQ (If it does not I will cancel its release)...

John

Really? even if there was no improvement in SQ the functionality of the M-PAX would make it a worthy investment id've thought

Obviously if there's a loss in SQ then thats different, but if there's no loss having dual outputs & inputs alone would make me buy it, as it would allow me to upgrade to a power amp at the same time, retaining use of my sub & also integrate a turntable into my setup

Even if you officially cancel the release i hope there will be a few units knocking about...

Question for those of a technical disposition.

Hi,
I removed my interconnect from the Co-ax 1 input of my MDAC yesterday, and to my horrow the gold "bezel" and orange socket came with it ........! Is this something that can just be re-attached (by me - and if so is this an "open the unit" exercise) or do I need to get it back to the retailer/Audiolab?

Sorry if this a daft question, but thought I'd ask .....

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

You can just "Re-Insert" the Gold cap onto the connector from the rear of the unit - It will just "Push Fit" back in - this is how they are assembled during production.

As SQ has already done with his TAG power-Amps, you could also add a very small drop of super glue to Fix the cap in place...

John

Really? even if there was no improvement in SQ the functionality of the M-PAX would make it a worthy investment id've thought

Obviously if there's a loss in SQ then thats different, but if there's no loss having dual outputs & inputs alone would make me buy it, as it would allow me to upgrade to a power amp at the same time, retaining use of my sub & also integrate a turntable into my setup

Even if you officially cancel the release i hope there will be a few units knocking about...

I'm 99% certain that the M-PAX PSU section will improve MDAC's SQ so I'm not worrying too much, its just a question of how much of an improvment - and will the cost justify the difference...

John

Great feedback, will likely leave the XLR connectors alone...For now. However, it's the repeated incidents of loose RCA sockets that will have me looking towards WBT replacements for the coax inputs. Just wanted to know if it could be done, whether the design layout of the rear panel would allow for ease of replacement. If the process would be unduly difficult, then I suppose I could live with an occasional 'push fit' workaround (if need be) :) ...

As a side note its all true what they say about the flakeyness of the SBT server , I'm only using USB drive at the moment and its dropped twice this evening. (make that 4 times now as I write this) So looks like another expense to get a server in place or new beefier nas. Sound wise the laptop via usb is still better.
Hi Phil, I can't make out whether it's the USB input you're finding flakey, or the Squeezebox Server software, or both?
I've personally never tried the USB, but the SB Server software has never given me any problems to speak of (other than the crap interface - hence the addition of an ipod touch!)

I take it your existing NAS doesn't support SB Server in any shape or form?

Hi Phil, I can't make out whether it's the USB input you're finding flakey, or the Squeezebox Server software, or both?
I've personally never tried the USB, but the SB Server software has never given me any problems to speak of (other than the crap interface - hence the addition of an ipod touch!)

I take it your existing NAS doesn't support SB Server in any shape or form?

The internal server of the SBT is flakey.

I've not managed to setup a seperate server with Squeezebox server software and my NAS is not upto the job to run it.

Raising the question on whether to continue and invest with SBT external PSU and MDAC optical sync mods .

John W,

Not been keeping up with this thread, but I remember mention of optional stepped attenuation available through the M-PAX. Would this just be to control the input volume of an analogue source?

I don't have any analogue sources being a long term owner of Squeezeboxen, but I thought that a similar useful addition to the M-PAX functionality might be stepped attenuation of the output. This would allow each user to tweak this for their setup so that they were always in the -20dB to 0dB sweet spot on the volume pot of the MDAC?

The Moog

John W,

Not been keeping up with this thread, but I remember mention of optional stepped attenuation available through the M-PAX. Would this just be to control the input volume of an analogue source?

I don't have any analogue sources being a long term owner of Squeezeboxen, but I thought that a similar useful addition to the M-PAX functionality might be stepped attenuation of the output. This would allow each user to tweak this for their setup so that they were always in the -20dB to 0dB sweet spot on the volume pot of the MDAC?

The Moog

Hi Moog,

Yes - The M-PAX in standard form (without the optional Attenuator card) will keep the MDAC's digital attenuation, as you say within a "Sweet Spot" of -20dB to 0dB (over a 60dB range) - however with the optional "Full range" Stepped attenuator we could allow a user selectable option to Enable the "Full range" Stepped attenuator" for both Digital and Analogue sources.

John

Great feedback, will likely leave the XLR connectors alone...For now. However, it's the repeated incidents of loose RCA sockets that will have me looking towards WBT replacements for the coax inputs. Just wanted to know if it could be done, whether the design layout of the rear panel would allow for ease of replacement. If the process would be unduly difficult, then I suppose I could live with an occasional 'push fit' workaround (if need be) :) ...

The Digital Coax RCA inputs are a combined with the optical unit (A one piece moulding) so unfortunately you cannot simply just remove the RCA section...

John

Still waiting for my MDAC to arrive, getting a little worried about the number of connector related incidents being mentioned here. Bit of a shame if audiolab have skimped on the connectors, shouldn't really be seeing these sorts of failures on a £600 piece of equipment.

Out of interest, does anyone know the warranty period on the MDAC? Couldn't see it mentioned on the website last time I checked.

Still waiting for my MDAC to arrive, getting a little worried about the number of connector related incidents being mentioned here. Bit of a shame if audiolab have skimped on the connectors, shouldn't really be seeing these sorts of failures on a £600 piece of equipment.

Two?

You're just weak;-)
Those push on sockets are in need of a spot of superglue.

I meant that he's crying about a mere two reports of sockets coming off and lots off non-reports of them staying put.

Mine haven't moved. And I haven't touched them. Just USB and one opt.

You're just weak;-)
Those push on sockets are in need of a spot of superglue.

Yep, that's what they really need.

Warranty is 2 years if you return the Warranty card...

Don't worry, they are very easy to Fix DIY (the connector cap if it comes off),

John

John: Any options for us guys who only want that optional attenuator that you're making, without the PSU? Don't trust other ghetto attenuators. Wonder if there's a way to fit that board inside the mdac's chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back