advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That's a rip off price then, I saw the photo of 2 and presumed (silly me) sorry for the bad post

looking back I think I found a thread by you suggesting that these were 3 resistor versions too so doubly bad post

I took the screws out of mine but couldn't work out how to get inside and when I played about with a meter it didn't mean much too me.

Steven,

I'm genially not sure, the aim is to design a better PSU then the "DC"

The M-PAX has 5 low-noise, Low Flat Impedance supply rails - where as the DC only has 4 rails.

I'll reserved comment until I've listened,

John

Hi John, i have no doubt that you will produce a better psu, just interested in making a comparison and giving an old bit of kit something to do again:). Of course, any cable/pcb that you can make(when you have time) to link the two units i will pay for, that goes without saying.
kr Steven.

ps. regards to the speaker mod, should i expect the bass loss even if i use the same values?

That's a rip off price then, I saw the photo of 2 and presumed (silly me) sorry for the bad post

looking back I think I found a thread by you suggesting that these were 3 resistor versions too so doubly bad post

I took the screws out of mine but couldn't work out how to get inside and when I played about with a meter it didn't mean much too me.

I assumed that too, but noticed as I was about to press the buy button.

They did say, when I asked a while back, that they were 3 resistor types and that they did not / would not do the four type.

Planning to upgrade the inputs/outputs of the M-DAC/M-PAX (if need be)...

• Does the M-DAC use Neutrik XLR chassis connectors?

• If not, what might be the appropriate cross-referenced Neutrik XLR equivalent for both units?

Also, will the M-PAX be available modularized to further save on associated costs? As I only intended to use balanced cables, can the M-PAX be optioned without trigger points and RCA in/out?

There's no point in upgrading the RCA sockets, it just doesn't make any difference what you use unless you are talking about the coax input. The coax input wants to be as close to 75 ohm as possible, but to ensure that you have to make sure your cable is 75ohm, the rca plugs are 75ohm the rca sockets are 75 ohm and that the impedance of the rca socket to the pcb and its termination on the pcb is also 75 ohm.

Given that there simply isn't any room inside the Mdac or even on the back plate to accommodate single rca sockets it's not something you have to worry about, you couldn't fit them even if you wanted.

there is no such thing as a 75 ohm RCA SPDIF connector. The only true 75 ohm connector is a BNC. Just ask John...

Referring to the coax inputs...So there is no room to desolder/solder on replacement RCA type sockets? What about replacing the XLR chassis connectors? BTW, thanks for the replies..If only there were a shot of the rear panel internals somewhere...

If there exists even the remote possibility of improving upon the existing within a defined budget, then those are options that I am interested in exploring.

Although good connectors are good, I'm not that convinced that non-branded connectors are necessarily inferior. Neutrik connectors are relatively cheap, really well made and lovely to work with, but I dont think I'd butcher my MDAC to change the perfectly good looking/feeling XLRs with Neutrik branded ones. It would take an hour or more, and you wont get that hour back. For the same amount of money you could have an hour of music and glass of wine. I did replace the RCA digital output of my Meridian 200 transport with a BNC which was a real palaver and I can't really say I heard any difference at all. I do use 75ohm digital cables (Canare and Belden), and just hope that the impedance mis-match at the socket isn't too much of an issue. If it was, then optical would sound better, but it doesn't...

ps. regards to the speaker mod, should i expect the bass loss even if i use the same values?

When tuning a speaker design - its a question of the total sum of many fine balances and compromises.

I'd expect the higher quality capacitors to open-up the Midrange and HF, this will re-balance the speaker towards the HF end of the spectrum - as a result the "Bass" will appear be lighter... It will not be less, but just the more open "upper-end" will rebalance the SQ.

The original X-Over would have been tuned with the inherent imperfections of the components used...

I'd not worry, I'm sure that what you will gain will more then offset any "Loss",

John

Planning to upgrade the inputs/outputs of the M-DAC/M-PAX (if need be)...

• Does the M-DAC use Neutrik XLR chassis connectors?

• If not, what might be the appropriate cross-referenced Neutrik XLR equivalent for both units?

Also, will the M-PAX be available modularized to further save on associated costs? As I only intended to use balanced cables, can the M-PAX be optioned without trigger points and RCA in/out?

I "HATE" Neutrik XLR connectors - they are used on my Rohde & Schwarz - I own 4 units in total, and each and every unit has oxidation issues with the Neutrik XLR connectors - Why are they not gold plated?

You will never find a Neutrik connector on any of my designs.

Hey John!

I was just wondering if there is an ETA on the matching CD Transport? Are you really planning a second USB Input (192Khz)? Anything else to expect? :)

Sadly i'm still waiting for the M-DAC becoming available in Germany. Most Dealers told me that I have to wait for another month.

Keep up the good work!

Michael

Hey John!

I was just wondering if there is an ETA on the matching CD Transport? Are you really planning a second USB Input (192Khz?). Anything else to expect? :)

Sadly i'm still waiting for the M-DAC becoming available in Germany. Most Dealers told me that I have to wait for another month.

Keep up the good work!

Michael

Hi Michael,

Around the Middle of the year - yes with 192kHz Async USB,

John

John, FYI I'm currently using gold plated XLR connector for IC between MDAC to poweramp. There's gold/silver plated version.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-chassis-connectors/d-series/

I "HATE" Neutrik XLR connectors - they are used on my Rohde & Schwarz - I own 4 units in total, and each and every unit has oxidation issues with the Neutrik XLR connectors - Why are they not gold plated?

You will never find a Neutrik connector on any of my designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back