advertisement

MDAC first listen (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John!

I would like to have a M-PAX (black version). Are there still units available from the first production batch?

Regards,
Michael

Oh John,

I almost forgot: I would like it to be the premium version ;)

Michael

Hi Normanl,

What Lock issues do you have with your CDQ?

John

Hi John,

I have the same problem as sam cat. It occured sometimes when I switched on my 8200 CDQ, no sound came out though the screen showed the source and other bit information normally and foobar also indicated it was playing music normally. If I switched off then on again, the sound came out.

Hi John,

I have the same problem as sam cat. It occured sometimes when I switched on my 8200 CDQ, no sound came out though the screen showed the source and other bit information normally and foobar also indicated it was playing music normally. If I switched off then on again, the sound came out.

Hi Normanl,

Oh OK, this is the first I've heard of this from a CDQ user - We will try and recreate the issue here - so it happens while replaying from USB?

John

Hello John, sharp eyes you have! Yes, it's an MC7 R modded by Bill at Response Audio as is the Jolida 801 below. The Roksan DP1, i am devoted to, however, i feel that time(performance) has moved on , i will never sell it, it's audio art! At the moment i am beguiled by my system with the Mdac in there and i haven't even put the MC7 R in there yet! This is going to be a long process of evaluaion.........

Here's a pic of my Mdac in situ, if only the kids would allow me more listening time for a full review........ from the perspective of a previous Pink Triangle owner, i am not dis pleased in the slightest, my cap is doffed.

P1010352.jpg

I bet those small speakers image REALLY nicely - you should get a very wide sound stage with the MDAC :)

Huge. I love the 1sc's, and the Mdac and throw in a smattering of valves........well.
I'm plucking up the courage to swap out the caps in the xovers to see if more can be brought out of them but, i'm not in a hurry at the moment even though i have the new caps sitting in my parts box.

Hi Normanl,

Oh OK, this is the first I've heard of this from a CDQ user - We will try and recreate the issue here - so it happens while replaying from USB?

John

That's what happened with mine on occasions John. With the upgrade but not the latest software. And only with the Macmini, not the laptop at all.

Charming ! :D:D

Hey, that's actually a step forward. I think the last time this happened you were in the bath! You really do take your work everywhere, don't you. Here's hoping I never catch you on the toilet ;)

Thanks John, fantastic news and honestly not what I was expecting. Please add me to the pre-orders for all the above.

Erm.... maybe (sorry). By the way, have you had it up and running yet? Any noticable difference?

That's very kind of you John, but how bad can it be? I'm almost tempted to ask for it back just as a show-piece / talking point:)
How would you define "no longer in the best of shape" ?

- Tim

Well nothing running yet - I spent the best part of December packing the lab in China - inbetween working on the Mechanical design for the M-PAX.

I did measure your SBT and it had over 1nS of Jitter on its SPDIF output - which is a very high figure - so I'm confident that we can significantly improve upon this - at least below 50pS - and then add Clock-locking to MDAC...

So I dragged your SBT to China still in "New Condition" with its packaging... I discussed the project with my mechanical designer - the discussions continued until about 11pm - we called it a night...

Next day I get into the meeting room, and our dear cleaner has thrown away all the packaging etc...

Its been "well handled" as we debate the plastic moulding and how to add the update PCB etc...

Your welcome to your original unit or one of the new units I've just bought from Amazon :) ... Your choice :)

Bed, Bath - Pls. don't mention flushing toilets and Sticky tap... (A USB Grounding issue... nevermind),

John

Huge. I love the 1sc's, and the Mdac and throw in a smattering of valves........well.
I'm plucking up the courage to swap out the caps in the xovers to see if more can be brought out of them but, i'm not in a hurry at the moment even though i have the new caps sitting in my parts box.

I heard them (or an earlier version) of them I believe at Alan Sircom's MANY years ago - I'll never forget how well they image!!!

I guess your going to change to better quality Film Caps - it will really bring out the Mid-Range / Treble - but the extra "Clarity" might upset the balance.

They might sound a little Bass light - but with that MUCH greater clarity... you will not go back, but you might find yourself yearning for that "missing" Bass.... Just my guess ;)

John

After stumbling on a thread earlier this year, i decided i might try the same as that mod, as it resulted in greater soudstage, clarity, tightened the bass and less tendancy to excite room nodes(i have struggled with a bit of boom in my room, maybe because it's top of the house and, as you can see reduced head room with pitched roof). The last thing i want is to lose that seamless bass/mid to high integration. That's what makes me nervous but, i'll keep the old caps(intact i hope) and relace with the Mundorf Supremes

Now, back on thread, what difference could i expect to hear from using Pink DC(configured to work with Mdac if poss) over M pax? Forgive me, i'm terrible at throwing things away:).
Steven.

Now, back on thread, what difference could i expect to hear from using Pink DC(configured to work with Mdac if poss) over M pax? Forgive me, i'm terrible at throwing things away:).
Steven.

Steven,

I'm genially not sure, the aim is to design a better PSU then the "DC"

The M-PAX has 5 low-noise, Low Flat Impedance supply rails - where as the DC only has 4 rails.

I'll reserved comment until I've listened,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back