advertisement

Do your speakers disappear when listening

My room simply fills with sound, interspersed by instrumental artefacts at various points of the aural vista.

I had an aural vista once but I kept tripping over it when I was watering the plants. It was also a pain because the dog kept chasing it while I was listening to music. Well' it would've done, if I had a dog. That realistic my aural vista was ;0)

Sounds like a throat lozenge. 'Packet of Aural Vista please?'

Stockleys-throat-and-chest-lozenge.jpg

I could post a recent picture... but that would be too cruel.

I am much darker & hairier... and younger!

John,

Who won the argument -- the Bazster or the baked 'tater?

Joe

I had an aural vista once but I kept tripping over it when I was watering the plants. It was also a pain because the dog kept chasing it while I was listening to music.

It was more than likely chasing your abhorrent fanciful felines :D

My speakers routinely create the illusion that sound is coming from positions wider than they are, as well as positions between them. I normally sit in an equilateral triangle with them, and they are about 8" apart (yes, an ST joke). I suppose this illusion is good as it suggests that they are making a fair fist of recreating the stereo field with little distortion.

However, stereo effects hold little musical interest for me, and I would be quite happy with a mono system if it were as detailed as the equivalent stereo one. That is seldom the case, since some distortion is asymmetrical, and the ear hears two separate recordings as more detailed than one. The same thing happens with stereographs, which appear more detailed than their film format would normally be. I think stereo was a saleable gimmick which had the accidental benefit of reducing perceived distortion and increasing perceived detail, so I agree with Mr Pig that the effect of speakers disappearing is unimportant to enjoyment of music.

Nice one, Jonathan.

You've earned your pay for the week.

Joe

Joe

After a few minutes of shouting Bas threw the potato to the ground & jumped on it, so there were no winners.

John

Raj,

My speakers disappear when I engage the cloaking sheilds, which is done by pressing play.
Cloaking device, man. Shields are for repelling enemy fire.

(Jeez, Louise...)

Joe

John,

After a few minutes of shouting Bas threw the potato to the ground & jumped on it, so there were no winners.
Well, someone had some mashed 'taters that night, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Joe

Yup - when the music starts playing, I would never guess it was coming from the speakers themselves. I am always blown away when I sit down to listen.

It depends upon what recording I am listening to.

Homeless or Further to Fly - Paul Simon - orig Vinyl - speakers do a very good disappearing act.

Glen Miller orig vinyl - not so good!

M

It depends upon what recording I am listening to.

Homeless or Further to Fly - Paul Simon - orig Vinyl - speakers do a very good disappearing act.

Glen Miller orig vinyl - not so good!

M

Unfortunately the Artist performed the disappearing act... :(

advertisement

Back