advertisement

What phono stage do you use ?

koi

pfm Member
Looking at further alternatives what phono stages do you guys use

Thanks in advance

I use the 'Tron Seven' Phono Stage and I'm very happy with it.
Graham Tricker supplied it with GT Audio and I have never looked back.

It really is what system you have I suppose, I have a naim system and sounds fantastic. Good luck in your search.

jim...;)

The question is rather meaningless without an understanding of the OPs current system and potential budget. There are systems owned by PFMers from entry-level through budget up to high-end equipment and to answer the OPs question meaningfully we need to understand his position on the HiFi scale.

Cheers,

DV

Noteworthy Phonote is another GT design. Just so you know :). And I use a Tron Comet (Syren internals), also designed by GT.

Some hi end stuff hear guys

OK. I use a Brinkmann Fein phono stage initially with an Ittok/Troika but now with a DV XV1-s cart. Current price just under £2K and about half that s/h. It compares well to phono stages at twice the price and has a very low hummmm compared to other phono stages. It is also cute and has a very small footprint compared with its peers.

Cheers,

DV

PS Forgot to mention that the Fein has its own volume control and pre-amplification so does not need a pre-amp and can be plugged directly into the power amp. I found that the sound was improved by not going through a pre-amp.

Cyrus phono x with psxr also have michell iso and have tried brothers EAR phono but prefer the Cyrus.

Bro uses WAD diy jobby very nice that one.

I use a Heed Audio Quasar, as it's able to be used to drive a tube ( valve ) power amp without the use of a Pre-amp it comes in handy and I love its overall versatility as well as its sound for the asking price. It out shoot many more costly units I've heard over the last 5 years and then some. Regards, Oscar

The question is rather meaningless without an understanding of the OPs current system and potential budget.

Question seems clear enough to me.

I use a Linn Uphorik, a Dynavector P75, and the phono inputs of a Linn Kairn. I bought the Uphorik when Linn offered to activate your amps for free with it (I have 5-way speakers), and because I wanted to be able to try a range of different cartridges with appropriate loading. It's definitely better than my previous Linto and the DV P75. In fact, I think I prefer the Kairn's stages to the P75 but they are all good.

Je ne regret rien.

I use a Whest PS.30r between a well loaded LP12 and 202/Hicap/200. Great phono stage and James at Whest is a superb guy to deal with. Replaced a Hicaped Stageline. Better bass, more detail, very quiet and adjustable for lots of different cartidge types (currently a Dynavector 20X2H), so balance between different sources is easier to achieve. Expensive though, with upgrades galore to consider!

An 834p.

It's the oldest surviving part of my hifi, I've had it for about 8 years.

I ''thorstened'' it with thorsten mods, but it sounded great as stock.

No wish or urge to change it, I love it.

A Dynavector P100 in the main system and a Cambridge 640P in system #2. They are currently switched over as I'm fiddling about with the TD-124 in system #2 so I brought the P100 through to hear it at it's best.

EAR 834P modified version, upgraded caps and power supply and Telefunken NOS valves, a great PS and slaughtered my old 640p as I guess you would expect!

Clearaudio Balanced on the end of a DV Te Kaitora Rua on a P9/RB1000. Runs into either a Naim 72/HC/140 or an NVA AP50. Blows its predecessor, a P75, into the weeds and my dealer's advice is that only around Superline/Whest territory will I find a meaningful improvement.

I once borrrowed the best stage Clearaudio make - the Balanced Reference (£5k, independent PSUs and volume controls for each channel) - and plugged it straight into a pair of NAP135s. Probably the best system I've ever heard.

I use a nick gorham moving coil valve phono stage with adjustable loading,

I borrowed his demo unit for a while which i found bettered my ear 843p so

i put my order in and sold my ear 843p,

I have now fitted two e88cc and one 5687 nos mullards and it sounds great.

This is a plus with valves you can change to improve.

Clearaudio balance for me too, nothing to adjust, MC only, just sits there nice and warm
and sounding great, probably won't be replaced unless Spectral bring out their phonostage
or I find a used Soulution 750 phono stage.

advertisement

Back