advertisement

Inca Tech The Claymore - is it in good condition?

OK,

So you replaced the fuse from the back panel? Was that blown? Did it re-blow?

The fuses (2) I was refering to are on the board, next to the transformer. They are F5A 250v.
Open the amplifier, look to see if one of these fuses is blown. Also look for any other signs of damage, charring of resistors, capacitors with bulging tops or leaks, the main transistors on the aluminium billets for excessive charring on the board where the legs are soldered.

As AndrewB correctly states, replacing one of these fuses and switching back on could cause more damage.

So you have a choice, take it for repair in its current state or risk a fuse change and hope you get lucky. BUT, if any of the above tell tales are apparent, DO NOT try the fuse option.

thank you CJ and to all the other friends. ive substituted both fuse (3.15 AMPERE fast )
and all is working again, thanks also to Colin , a great chap indeed!

Hi guys, here again ... This morning turning up the volume after 15 mins one channel became silent ...i ve checked the fuses , both in good conditions, ive noticed that one bindings inside has loosened a bit, and is exactly the couple of bindings that goes out to the silenced speaker ...what can be now?
tnx
cheers
s.

Hi Sergiox,

When you say "bindings" do you mean the 4mm sockets for the speaker cables? If yes, then these do not depend on their tightness to the back panel for connection. It is only mechanical.

Have you tried more than one input? A common replacement item on an older amp like this is the selector switch. If "jiggling" the selector slightly, on the same input selection makes any difference or selecting another input returns the amp to playing both 'speakers then it is your switch.

If you can do basic soldering it is a very easy repair.

hello Cjarchez, yes i mean the sockets for the spkrs cables.
I have tried more than the cd input and one channel remain in silence whatever is the selection on the knob.
What could be?
thanks in adv
s.

perhaps the solder connection has come lose beneath the bindings on the circuit board? (if i understand you correctly)

perhaps the solder connection has come lose beneath the bindings on the circuit board? (if i understand you correctly)

hi Andrew, well, it could be...what i would like to know if is not something bad (as one mosfet gone or something similar ...)

cheers
s.

oh, I couldn't possibly say, just i once had a solder joint go on my amp after abusing it quite heavily for years, same channel cut out issue...very easy fix if that is the case :)

looking at the pics, personally I would open the unit up and check that the wires are all in place, if so I'd check the connections, they are heat shrinked at the speaker posts which could be hiding any faults. You say the socket is jiggly, so it could have twisted round and broke the connection perhaps. Looks easy to tighten back up :)

I don't see how in this design the wires would come lose at the PCB end though at theirs no strain from speaker posts. I assume you've checked the fuses again and that...all I can say really, I'm just someone with a soldering iron, not an electrician :p

Sergiox,

Andrews response is good to go. Get that lid off and have a look. We are hoping for the easy fix here so are going for simpler things first. UNLESS you can see charring or any other changes that were not there before (compare to the photo you originally showed on your first post).

On the board the 'speakers connectors are push-fit spades. Take note of the order they are connected in in case they come loose while checking. Check that the wires are still well connected to the 'speaker sockets and the spade coneectors by giving them a gentle wiggle and tug. Do you have a digital multi meter? if you do check for continuity from the socket (use one probe like speaker plug) to its corresponding spade terminal on the board.

The spade connectors should also be a tight fit. If they are loose they will need a slight crimp to tighten them, after you have cleaned the connectors.

Failing that we'll need Colin or any other knowledgable bod to further help the fault finding process.

Hi cj , seems that the speakers connectors are glued from the inside

sdc12312.jpg

sorry for the bad quality pic

Sergio don't know if you've tried this already, but have you tried turning the amp off and turning the volume knob back and forwards between minimum and maximum about 10-15 times, just to check the pot is OK.

You could also try messing with the switches as the amp is playing, i sometimes i loose one channel on the Magnum amp its related to the mute switch, a quick push in and out and im back to stereo!

thank you space , i will try it , btw i dont know...but seems that the claymore has more bas grip more drive , more fastness than my beloved super XV ...could it be possible?!

add: ehm ...when it works on both channels ... :)

I think the integrated i still have has a "certain something" to it that the Pre and power lacked. In fact the review of the Exposure 2010 integrated in Stereophile reminds me quite a bit of the qualities of the Magnum amp .
Don't know why these type of amps sound that good, i suspect its the simplicity of them. Hope you get you amp sorted Sergio.

advertisement

Back