advertisement

Steve Jobs stereo system 1982

I can't confirm this, but I suspect that this system was purchased from The Audible Difference, which seemed to be a popular shop amongst the Silicon Valley elite (after various ownership changes, I believe it's now called Future Sound).

Speakers are 100% Acoustat 3s as mentionned by John.

TT_032.jpg

Gyrodec ? I don't know. Gyrodec has a diiferent platter with some weight under it. But maybe some early Gyrodec have different platter.

Maby this one ?

JA%20Michell%20Gyro%201.jpg

Than as mentionned by louballoo Threshold FET One.

1309384975.jpg

On the Threshold there is one tuner, and it could be anything.

;)

The Gyrodec was reviewed in HFNRR by Martin Colloms in 1982, so could well be the turntable in the picture. It does look very like an early Gyrodec and not like the contemporary Oracle or Win Labs.

Well spotted on the Threshold. Now, apart from the "tuner", what power amp is he using? :)

I think we are close with this Sequerra Model 1 FM Tuner. It was the very hi end one would expect to match the rest of the kit.

Louballoo

sequerra_tuner.jpg

I don't believe they were active.

You are right :)

They needed power, but there was not amplifier inside, only some transformer to create high tension for the electrostatic panel. Like Quad ESL.

image.php

image.php

image.php

We don't see the power amp on the picture, it is probably hidden behind Steve. On the Sterephile forum the seller of the system said that it was with Threshold electronics, so it was most probably Threshold power amp.

Tuner - i don't think it is Sequerra. Sequerra is >20cm high and the tuner which is on the preamp is probably only ~10cm high.

:)

Pretty certain the turntable is an early Gyro - you can just make out the cover and the chassis is very clear. I had the first one here in 1981 (IIRC), John made it in response to the Oracle I'd just taken delivery of.

Th pre looks very much like a black Threshold and the tuner could be a Magnum Dynalab ???

Pretty certain the turntable is an early Gyro - you can just make out the cover and the chassis is very clear. I had the first one here in 1981 (IIRC), John made it in response to the Oracle I'd just taken delivery of.

Th pre looks very much like a black Threshold and the tuner could be a Magnum Dynalab ???

I doubt the tuner is a Magnum Dynalab, I own the first model the FT 101. I bought it in 88.

I wonder if the lighting could have skewed the colors? Maybe one of our resident photogs could comment on that.

Louballoo

It looks like Acoustat 3s was active with a built in tube power amp :) and probably this version had Steve Jobs :)

Now only the tuner is left ...

Pretty certain the turntable is an early Gyro - you can just make out the cover and the chassis is very clear.

I agree, it's definitely an early metal platter Gyro, the reflection off the lid onto the wall is another clue and indicates the rather large size of the perspex case.

i am sure on an american forum a good few years ago the deck was found to be a gyro with an infinity black widow arm and i recall vaguley some wood bodied cart poss grado or briar.

i think a few people said the pre amp was the very first spectral or the klyne and that speakers had there own amps.

i can't find the discussion though....i'm not 100% sure apart from the deck combo.

I wonder if the lighting could have skewed the colors? Maybe one of our resident photogs could comment on that.

The lamp was probably tungsten balance, and the colour cast is quite strong red-yellow, so the film was probably daylight film, and the VU meters therefore probably aren't that far from reality. If tungsten film were used, and the lamp is more yellow than normal tungsten bulbs due to a coloured filter, then you would expect the VU meters to come up much more blue than expected. In that case they would have been much less blue than they are in the picture, i.e. originally orange/red coloured. I don't think that's very likely though, so greenish is a good guess.

advertisement

Back