advertisement

Forgotten Classic Amplifier ?

deeslexia

Who has heard of Heybrook C2 / P2 , pre-power and why should they be ' classic ' ?

Because I understand that they are the sole venture into transistor amps by guru Tim de Paravincini .

They are a cross between Naim Nap 250 and my EAR 509s .
I also have the one box version - Integra

Without funds , I am trying to sort a modest system to do justice to a Pink Trangle being restored for me in exchange for a Gyrodec RB 300 as a favour by Arthur khoubessarian at Funk .

I hope to get the C2 / P2 or Integra repaired for around £250 which will drive my battered RCL [ SEAS 1981 ] speakers - think LS35a meets original Linn Kan.

Do you know of anyone London / South East ?

RCL - wasn't it actually called 'The Small Loudspeaker'?

Heard of the amps and they should sound perfectly fine if in spec.
Probably not in spec though after all these years so perhaps budget for a service.

I used to own a c2/p2 pre power combo I liked it a lot it was very good at prat..the pre was not as refined as the ear834p which replaced it but for me it did pitch and pace better under rated amps..

The RCL was called The Small Loudspeaker - SEAS of Norway wanted to show off what their drivers could do - which is play the 1812 deafeningly without breaking !

They had to be small so that they could be shown around , so the story goes , and Radio Components Ltd , importers of SEAS , decided to sell them alongside the drivers .

It's uncertain whether they were made in UK , but given the solidity of the cabinets and SEAS kit history whereby they provide free plans with drivers , it's unlikely that they were imported , given that Kans were £170 and the RCLs £122 .

I am amazed that others bought the Heybrooks given the shade of grey ' nextel used as heat sink !

The C2 isn't as good as the Pink Triangle PIP 1 , but the PIP tends to die too often LOL .

Because I understand that they are the sole venture into transistor amps by guru Tim de Paravincini .

Not true, TdP has designed a fair few solid state amps - he was responsible for some of the 1980s Musical Fidelity kit, IIRC The Preamp, P170, P270, P370 etc. He's done other stuff too, right up to current times, in fact someone recently linked to a pair of active near-field monitors with a TdP designed amp-pack, I can't remember the brand though.

Yes, I though TdP did lots of solid-state stuff as well; I think he did some mastering electronics for one of the record cutting outfits as well.

Not true, TdP has designed a fair few solid state amps - he was responsible for some of the 1980s Musical Fidelity kit, IIRC The Preamp, P170, P270, P370 etc. He's done other stuff too, right up to current times, in fact someone recently linked to a pair of active near-field monitors with a TdP designed amp-pack, I can't remember the brand though.

Yes, I copied my mates P170 amp. It was an OK bit of kit for the time.

I think he said that there is no inherent superiority of tube or solid state amps, it all depends on how it is done. Amen to that.

The RCL was called The Small Loudspeaker - SEAS of Norway wanted to show off what their drivers could do - which is play the 1812 deafeningly without breaking !

They had to be small so that they could be shown around , so the story goes , and Radio Components Ltd , importers of SEAS , decided to sell them alongside the drivers .

It's uncertain whether they were made in UK , but given the solidity of the cabinets and SEAS kit history whereby they provide free plans with drivers , it's unlikely that they were imported , given that Kans were £170 and the RCLs £122 .

Still using mine that I bought new from Newark in 1982. They might be small but they are substantially built and their sound belies their size.:)

Who has heard of Heybrook C2 / P2 , pre-power and why should they be ' classic ' ?- Because I understand that they are the sole venture into transistor amps by guru Tim de Paravincini .

What about musical fidelity a1 - was it not designed by tim, as in popular belief?

There was the Yoshino single-ended transistor amp too.

He also did some of the older Luxmans - both tubed and later SS. The Luxman L3 integrated (one of TdP's last Luxman designs supposedly) can still be bought for reasonable money and very nice it is... Commonly used with Tannoys.

advertisement

Back