advertisement

Hi-Fi Choice on the endangered species list!

:( Does not look good - fingers crossed it will be sold, rather then closed down - it’s another nail in the coffin for the Hi-Fi industry.

Hi-Fi choice is still one of the better magazines – it would be truly sad to see it go.

Interesting but I suppose not altogether unexpected. With a surplus of mags in the Hi-Fi sector, something had to happen. In a way it is heartening that it is not the upper end of the market which is taking the first hits.
Reading the statement makes me smile though. Clearly it is the loss of advertising revenue which is causing the trouble along with the recession generally but the spokesman has to trot out management speak like there is no real problem and of course throw in a couple of "Digitals" to sound up to date and hip. Digital does not denote anything special these days but the lumbering management speak still uses it like a mantra.
It does not impress me, I have a digital kettle, no, really, I do.

I feel sorry for those that might loose their jobs.

In terms of the hi-fi magazine market it might result in the other mags becoming better. Firstly it would be a wake-up call if they needed one, and secondly I'd hope there would be a slightly 'bigger slice of the pie' for the remaining mags to work with.

Apparently, the circulation of Choice was slowly (very slowly) growing whereas the other mags are falling. For instance, I am told that one of those remaining is down to 1200/month !!!

As much as I find their reviews informative, this is unfortunately inevitable. The average joe consumer doesn't simply have the spare cash nor desires hi-fi anymore - its a disgrace what speakers they fit to modern TVs these days.

As for digital, the latest rage in the industry is social advertising + apps on platforms such as Facebook. Not sure hi-fi converts too well into this social arena.

Hopefully the magazine could continue in an ''online only'' manner.

I am reading Stereophile like this, for about 80p per issue.

I think chopping trees down and transporting them all over the country is the past.

Just my view.

As much as I find their reviews informative, this is unfortunately inevitable. The average joe consumer doesn't simply have the spare cash nor desires hi-fi anymore - its a disgrace what speakers they fit to modern TVs these days.

As for digital, the latest rage in the industry is social advertising + apps on platforms such as Facebook. Not sure hi-fi converts too well into this social arena.

I'd imagine this will be a big problem for hi-fi magazines in the short term, and hi-fi in general in the long term.

I'm not really surprised the magazines have so few readers these days. I stopped buying magazines when I stopped buying audio. I started buying them when I started looking for new stuff, but I quickly stopped because they do nothing for me. The thing is, I didn't end up buying. I don't trust online reviews and I'm not excited by the easily-impressed 'professional' reviews, either. I just ended up buying nothing, except adding a computer audio solution to my old Naim system.

I am reading Stereophile like this, for about 80p per issue.

I recently took out a three year subscription for the print version of Stereophile, so I sincerely hope it lasts at least that long! The first one dropped through the door a week or so ago, a very much thinner mag that I remember from 15 or so years ago when I last bought it, but still worth the discounted asking price - IIRC it was only about 50 quid for three years worth.

It was my last resort mag if I couldn't get HFN or HFW and needed a fix.

This is why I don't think the other magazines will pick up the slack. When I restarted reading them, I'd flick through all of them in Smiths and buy the one that interested me. If none of them interested me that month, I'd buy none that month. I suspect I'm not alone in this.

They might get more of a share of the advertising, but no more readers. There's just one small pool of readers who flit between the mags.

How the hell is Hifi plush staying in business when it reviews products of such expense that only around 5% of the population could afford it and its a shit size and the photos are not as good as before!

Hi Robert

I dont think disposable income is the problem with people spending on hifi.

I think it's ''perceived value''.

£17k is ok for a kitchen, £25k for a car - for many families with regular jobs.... but £1k for hifi is way more than they'd ever consider.

£17k is ok for a kitchen, £25k for a car - for many families with regular jobs.... but £1k for hifi is way more than they'd ever consider.

Very true, but that's all on the tick. Then again, doesn't stop them from maxing out credit cards...

I think this shows the squeezed middle really is squeezed. What Hi-Fi still keeps on plugging the dirt cheap stuff, Plush deals with the kit for bankers and their bonuses. What happens in between is having a tough time.

I think where they might have gone wrong (Hifi choice & Home cinema choice) is that the reviews in both mags are available on-line and sometimes in advance, which must discourage a good few sales. It certainly has stopped me from buying the mags.

It will be a sad loss.

I think where they might have gone wrong (Hifi choice & Home cinema choice) is that the reviews in both mags are available on-line and sometimes in advance, which must discourage a good few sales. It certainly has stopped me from buying the mags.

It will be a sad loss.

I don't think it has anything to do with the individual magazines. The company is losing millions in America, so it cuts 100 British jobs. The company can't make online pay, so it cuts magazines.

Clever. Really clever.

Dam! I'm flying out to nerja tomorrow and i always buy the mag in the airport, hope there's still one there;)

advertisement

Back