advertisement

Build a budget system from each of the last four decades...

1970's Thorens TD160
1980's Royd A7 or Coniston
1990's Naim Nait 2
Some recent Grado or Ortofon cartridge

70's: Lenco GL69/G800E/Sugden A21/Celestion Ditton 15
Early 80's: Sansui SR222 Mk2/FF15E/JVC JAS11G/Mission 700
Later 80's: Dual CS505/NAD 3020A/Mission 70 Mk2

70s = Technics SL10 TT
80s = Yamaha NS1000X speakers
90s = Luxman L570Z's amp
2000s - Victor Z999 K2 CDP
2010s = Fostex DAC

The system my father owned in the early 70s made me realize that there was *so* much more music and emotion on recordings than was ever available on AM radio (no FM in that 3rd world country back then)... B&O turntable, Fisher solid state receiver and Akai speaker.

In the latter part of the 70s I moved to the UK and got to hear reproduction that I had no idea was even possible. One guy in my student dorm had a Pioneer PL12D/Ortofon VMS20E/Goodmans receiver/Leak 2060s....it was bright sounding but ever so detailed and the visceral bass the 2060s pumped out had to be felt to be believed.

The single biggest upgrade I made in the 80s was the Ittok...it left the LV-X standing dead in the water, and even allowed the Linn Basik cartridge to transmutate from a spitty shrieky and bass light sound to almost full range and refined. Almost as large a move upward was replacing NAP135s with an Audio Research D70mk2. And for me the LP12/Ittok/Karma/42/Hicap/D70 into Tangent RS4s was by faaaaaar the best sound I had ever got at anytime in the 80s.

The 90s saw CDs largely replacing vinyl as my software...but it never sounded as good as the LP12 above...until I got a CDS1 when reinvigorated all of my recordings. And saw the advent of active speakers chez moi

The 2000s brought tube gear back into the soundscape with a reversal of triamped active speakers into passive speakers done right. And for the first time I had a semblance of a linear in-room FR.

But if I were to award decade specific accolades in my own personal audio growth it would be

1970s- Tangent RS4 speakers...they outlived every single upgrade. I tried to replace then with the original Kans, which sounded so bad in comparison, I got the shop to refund my money, and reclaim the RS4s from a friend I had sold them to, who was enjoying them immensely.

1980s- a tie between the LP12/Ittok and the D70

1990s- The CDS1. Implementing massive improvements in the electrical supply including a new pole-top transformer from the local electricity company.

2000s- custom built tube amps and speakers. Balanced AC power.

2010s- see 2000s above. No need to change anything.

80s (early)

Rega Planar 3, A&R P77, A&R A60, Heybrook HB2s.

I could live with that today. Still have most of it in the 'stock' room :)

Robert,

That was exactly my system from the early 80's - it was pretty sublime (or was that the beer...)

Cheers

Martin

....Early 70's ...Garrard SP:25 Goldring G800, metrosound 20 amp, Wharfedale Lintons 3XP speakers.

Mid 70's ....Hitachi Music Centre :eek::confused:

Mid to late 70's......Pioneer P12D Shure M75ED, Pioneer SX 535 Receiver, Tangent TM1 Speakers, Pioneer CT 2525 (?) cassette deck

80's ...Rega Planar 2, Dynavector 10x5 cartridge, Quad 33 / 303 (erm' a "foul" I guess!) + still had the Tangents, Sansui Cassette Deck

Mid 80's ...Linn Axis replaced the Rega, Cyrus 1 in for the Quad, Mission 737's replaced the Tangents, Rotel RT850L tuner. Aiwa AD 550 cassette deck

..90's ....(ok not budget stuff but mainly purchased used at NEAT before they started speaker building) ) Oracle Delphi One/ Zeta / Koetsu black k, Marantz CD85 SE, Forte'/MF amps, Etude MP1 speakers, Nakamichi ZX 700 Cassette Deck, + a Sony Dat player that broke after a year (!)

60s: Rigonda Symphony radiogram. :D

Hi I bought one of these cost £78 ish. wall mounted the floor standing speakers on brackets each side of my fireplace .Changed it for a Crap Jap Trio 1500,Garrard sp25,Wharfedale Lintons, what a mistake,but I was young and foolish then,and was persuaded that SS were the thing and valves were old hat.

Vinnie

I prefer the Thorens 150 (1970s) and 160 (70s-80s) to any Rega 2 or 3. They go for less or the same these days.

1970's:

LP12 (it costed something like £ 130 then, less than most people spended on a silly cassette player), SME, Stanton 681. Harman Kardon 330 or any nice sounding jap receiver. LS3/5a (an investment, even if one didn't knew it then) or JBL L19, depending on taste. Household flex as loudspeaker cables (nobody used anything else).

JohanR

advertisement

Back