advertisement

5-10k ish Speakers

Another thread which shows how useless it can be to ask for advice on the internet. Until the OP's requirements are established in considerably more detail, any recommendation will only be a stab in the dark.

This thread is being utterly derailed by the playground bickering. Can you guys not have a little respect for the OP and take it elsewhere? Three pages are just pantomime 'tit for tat'.

Fox, apartments are quite small once you got everything in and divided up into the required spaces. I've designed and built 1000's from 450 to 3000sq.ft. I've found the type of construction to be more important, If its a new build or a conversion or if its a concrete or steel frame.....

The concept of a volume and the control.:p

My suggestions for big speakers are serious and still stand though. but it's up to the OP to decide whether he can live with them in his room.

You want it quiet you turn it down, you want it louder you turn it up. It's very very simple, unless you like to overcomplicate shit.

Well I never, is that what the knobs do....

Really, my point is he mentions the system not to dominant the space. So my recommendation wouldn't be 15" speakers. And with it being a apartment, would be kinda useless.

Ever since you ditched your grown up ATCs for them there domestic speakerettes, you've lost all sense of fun.

intonarumori.jpg

Get horny or die trying!

Well, volume control combined with controlled dispersion rather than splash it all over the place would still favour large DC's.
If the room isn't to be filled then it's size shouldn't be a factor, buy a iPod dock system if you don't want significant spill in an open plan space.

So who recons hes shagging the speaker and all the others are love horns, or dog horns watching.

intonarumori.jpg

PS, theres even one taking a good toeing under the bench.

What makes you think that is the case? IME a good big bass driver sounds a lot more accurate and agile. It's all about headroom, not having to move very much at all to shift a lot of air, and not having to play tricks with ports to create an illusion of weight. I'm not saying small speakers are bad, far from it, but IME a good big 'un always beats a good little 'un.

Tony.

My listening experience but each to his own! I'm very pleased with my Obelisks but have generally been of the camp that smaller is better. Unless you are referring to manhood size.

Can anyone explain why dub workouts never use these piddly little 9" speakerettes? It would save a load of hauling about gear is we could fill a room with, say, a pair of Active Diamonds? Say, flat down to 30Hz...

Not a totally different bag. If you say 9" Speakerettes can take on 12" drivers then I expect to see a massive reduction in scaled-up speaker applications -- this amazing science-led technological breakthrough that's compressed dinosaur tech behemoths into svelte 9" antelopes would have applications in all walks -- live and pro audio applications as well.

This is just the "Kans do jaw dropping bass" argument all over again, picked up and dusted down for the iPod generation.

I understand the need for hen-pecked men to require prissy little speakerettes with multiple small drivers for reasons of domestic harmony, and I reckon some may even play their compressed to shit MP3s OK as well but that's no reason to go on the internets and say they are better when 9" is clearly incapable of properly producing even a Low B on a string bass or approximating the ugly clanking weight of a triple mic'ed Steinway 2 octaves down from Middle C.

People can couch speakerette preferences in terms like "oh its more coherent", or the headbut-inviting and annoyingly foppish "oh the artist's intentions are so much clearer to me" (orite -- as if) or the teeth grindingly "I connect emotionally better to music through small speakers" (O'rly? You connect emotionally to a Roland Space Echo unit?) but it got kinda boring in the LS35/A era and certainly in the Kan era. Now it's just plain ****ing annoying. And dangerous as people believe that crazy shit without evidence.

Show me some evidence that things have really moved on that much in speaker tech since the era of bigger woofer = bigger sound and I'll give your ideas the time of day.

Go listen to some Deltas. :)

Out of all the dub/club nights I've been to or organised, I've never once seen anything less than a 10 speaker rig with mahoosiv amps, none of which can even remotely resemble a domestic system.

As we tried to nail into your cranium with a clue-by-four. Thats not evidence.

Are you attending the same classes as Mick Parry? It's not evidence. Unless its in the same room through the same system that "question" won't possibly be answered. So I sit down and listen to material in a different room through different hardware on 9" speakerettes, it'll sound different. How surprising.

Take your speakers then hook up a bass synth/guitar to play through them....Then tell me your speakers can do bass.;-)

advertisement

Back