advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

5595250717_35f06e6e7d_o.jpg
Took my brain a second to process (i.e., accept) that that is in fact an Art Farmer lp on the floor, not a cd. So then, these are pretty big. Honestly, I think they look a lot better than your first pair did when you got them. I predict the new gorilla cloth will transform them.

Took my brain a second to process (i.e., accept) that that is in fact an Art Farmer lp on the floor, not a cd. So then, these are pretty big. Honestly, I think they look a lot better than your first pair did when you got them. I predict the new gorilla cloth will transform them.

I stuck the LP there to try and give a sense of scale, they really are huge, remember that is a 15" driver! The pictures don't do them justice, they look a lot more substantive in the flesh - quite ridiculous in a room this size, but in a good way.

Tony.

Well, they were 10x the cost of my Ditton 66s .... but they don't look 10x the size.

Admittedly, they probably have tweeters that work though.

Well, they were 10x the cost of my Ditton 66s .... but they don't look 10x the size.

You landed some 66s for 140 quid? That's a very good deal! The mids are the tricky ones IIRC, the tweeters and bass units were used in other cheaper & more common Celestions, but that weird dome mid is 66 only IIRC.

Tony.

I stuck the LP there to try and give a sense of scale, they really are huge, remember that is a 15" driver! The pictures don't do them justice, they look a lot more substantive in the flesh - quite ridiculous in a room this size, but in a good way.

Tony.

Well done. I think giant speakers in a room say the right sort of things about its inhabitant. And thanks for instilling me with a serious case of woofer envy. I'm off to play with my toy Shahinians with their dinky 8" drivers (grumble grumble).

I think they would look great with foam fronts ala Briks / Sara

They do look like they mean business don't they!

You landed some 66s for 140 quid? That's a very good deal! The mids are the tricky ones IIRC, the tweeters and bass units were used in other cheaper & more common Celestions, but that weird dome mid is 66 only IIRC.

Tony.

The mids were also used in some B&O speakers I can't remember the model though.I bought a pair for spares when I had some 66's.

Vinnie.

Tony,

I stuck the LP there to try and give a sense of scale...
LP / daughter / 20-inch TV, whatever works.

2n08qhs.jpg

Joe

P.S. Well done, boss.

There we go - my new speakers are about 2.5" shorter than Joe's daughter when that picture was taken!

Tony.

Tony,

She's grown since then, which means I need to get a pair of Autographs to maintain the speaker-to-girl height ratio.

Man, I didn't realize how expensive kids are until I got one of my own!

Joe

I like the way you think, Martin, but my room would limit me to tri-Quads.

triquads1.jpg

Joe

I think I'll only do it if I find any information suggesting the Golds' surrounds don't like being out in daylight.

Tony.

The Gold surrounds are not known to be much affected by daylight but the paper cones certainly are. Which is why most of them have turned from black to elephant grey - this applied particularly to the cones manufactured for Tannoy by Goodmans and Celestion. Those of German production were less light-sensitive.

However, I would strongly recommend the retention of some material covering the baffle. The correct fabric should not noticeably compromise the sound emission but it will protect the surround from an excess of dust. The wondrous butyl compound brewed by Ronnie Rackham never dries, remaining sticky to attract flies and dust. It is a magnet to dog hairs and cannot satisfactorily be cleaned.

Richard.

PS You'll find these infinitely less fatiguing than the corner Lancasters.

Thanks Richard. I've now got some grills, though haven't decided whether to use them yet - I used the extra grey material I'd bought in case I went for GRF cabs when I had the first pair. I never realised that Golds started life with black cones! My last pair were charcoal, a little darker than this pair, which I'd say were still a fair bit darker than the typical elephant.

Tony.

Ha! I took a similar pic when I set my temporary ProAcs up to sell them over the weekend...

5613837497_e276b1624f_o.jpg

They sounded surprisingly good sitting up there, in fact the folk who came to buy them initially thought it was the Tannoys playing!

Tony.

advertisement

Back