advertisement

NacA4 to NacA5 is there a big difference?

samz

pfm Member
I currently have NACA4 cable connected from my amp to my ProAc speakers. Is the upgrade to NACA5 cable worthwhile and if so where would I notice the difference.

Full system as follows:- Linn Sondek LP12, Valhalla, pre Cirkus,Sole Subchassis, Basic Plus Arm, Ortofon 2M Blue
Project PhonoBox SE
Naim 122X Naim Nap 150X - Naim Flatcap 2X - Naim CD5X -
ProAc Tablette 2000 Speakers
Sound Org Turntable Table, Quadrasphire Equipment Rack,
Apollo Speaker Stands

Thanks
samz

I doubt the change from 4 to 5 would be worth it.

I'd buy some new records instead. ;)

IMHO I would have said that going to NACA5 is a worthwhile thing. I'm sure you would notice the difference and think that it is better. VFM is another thing and just becauce I think it's pretty good VFM does not mean that you will.

Thanks, I would also be interested to read if anyone has gone from NAC A4 to
NAC A5 and if the change was worthwhile.

I did it many years ago. NACA5 was better but is a bugger to work with as it's very stiff. You need to heat it with a hairdryer to bend it. Still got it by the way. Best bet is to keep an eye on the classifieds and get some terminated with naim plugs. 3.50m plus. 5m lengths is supposed to be best apparently.

NAC A4 is a 20+ year old cable now. If there are any exposed sections, have they turned verdigris? If so, change it. If not, keep it until the copper carbonate starts to appear.

Bugger all difference at all.

I had a very similar system to yours, made the change to keep up to date as it were.

Waste of money.

As an earlier chap said, spend the readies on music. Always the best way.

have you tried bending NACA5 round corners ,however , if you heat it with a hairdryer at the place it needs to be bent , its not a problem.

Whilst I run NAC A5 and like it, it is the most difficult cable you can imagine.

I'd still suggest more records!

Its a significant improvement over naca4, clearer and snappier sounding and bass is tighter, but as said it is a bitch to use. hairdryer is a must.

The main change between NAC A4 and NAC A5 is actually the insulation material.
A4 used standard PVC as far as I can recollect, where as A5 I understand uses cross-linked polyethelyne (XPLE). This accounts for the much stiffer characteristic of A5 over A4.

This corellated to the change in the cable manufacturing industry which became prevalent about 20 years ago, when XLPE cables started to replace the normal PVC cables used for power distribution.

XLPE as an insulation material is able to run hotter than PVC, hence for a given conductor size a cable can carry more current if insulated in XLPE compared with PVC, with obvious commercial benefits in the areas of electrical design and contracting.

As Naim's cable is made by a well known UK commercial cable manufacturer, it is probably no surprise that the change was made to XLPE at the same time as the contracting and building services industry.

The increased current carrying capacity stemming from the ability to run the cable hotter is most probably irrelevant in the context of a speaker cable, whereas characteristics such as inductance and capacitance will be.

As regards sound quality, I'll leave that to others to debate!!

Richard

Excellent post Richard.

The change shouldn't have any impact on performance as a speaker cable, and therefore it doesn't.

I made the switch from A4 to A5 about three years ago, I spotted a good deal on a pair of A5 cables and gave it a go. Small difference but decided I preferred the A5, the A4 is still in the garage.
Dont really agree with those that say buy music. Hi fi is fun as we all know and new hi fi even a cable can make you listen to things anew. Ca be like buying your whole collection again. Of course if you really hink the music is the thing and not the hi fi then presumably you listen to an ipod or similar all the time and dont have £1000s of kit. so you probably wont be looking at this forum...

Anyway the cost to change is low because A4 can be sold quite easily.

If you do decide to change, ensure that the direction is correct.

<runs for cover>

I upgraded about 10 years ago. The system at the time was a LP12/Ittok/troika/valhalla 72/Hi/250 and SBLs

Going forward I didn't notice any real difference, but trying to go back a couple of weeks later the diference became apparent. A5 just gives better all round clarity, but not by much.

If you can do the upgrade for not much money then go for it but I certainly wouldn't recommend buying A5 new at £15 per m. There's plenty of it about second hand.

Thanks, I would also be interested to read if anyone has gone from NAC A4 to
NAC A5 and if the change was worthwhile.

I like the way people assume every change is an upgrade.

I did this change when I was using an all Naim system and it made no difference at all.

Sorry to go against the grain here but I think NACA5 is one of the great products of all time, up there with a pre-amp upgrade and more fulfilling than most interconnects. It reintroduces you to the lower middle registers of music which hi fi in general seems to have forgotten.

NACA4 is a good cable, but a good ordinary cable. I find the difference to NACA5 is huge - and I'm not trying to be bitty or showy when saying so. I wish I could find something better at a "more copper per metre" price but I can't.

It is a pig to work with, but it's only once you have to do it. And the flip side is that it always stays looking new, which NACA4 and K20 certainly don't. Be careful with the banana plugs though, if you don't have Naim plugs. As someone else said, that makes it a liability when it comes to shorting out your amplifier.

Incidentally, the strands are thicker in NACA5 and that contributes to it being stiff.

Sorry to go against the grain here but I think NACA5 is one of the great products of all time, up there with a pre-amp upgrade and more fulfilling than most interconnects. It reintroduces you to the lower middle registers of music which hi fi in general seems to have forgotten.

How?

NACA4 is a good cable, but a good ordinary cable. I find the difference to NACA5 is huge -

A pre-amp upgrade????????????? Mate you should sell your ears and buy more copper wire:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back