advertisement

rega dac, cdq, young dac bake off

This will be interesting, with a bit of careful, standardised set-up/connection. FWIW, I've just sold my Lavry DA-10 (which was fed by a HiFace) after having the Young (v1) at home for a month. The Young is very nice indeed and I can't wait to receive the v2 which will take pride of place. Something I like is that the Young runs very cool, much cooler than the Lavry. It's foot print matches that of my MacMini (alu) and the Mac looks very well stacked on the Young (I'll post a pic this w/e)

What would be interesting is to identify your favourite and then compare it using the computer setup vs using it with a good CDP transport

This will be interesting, with a bit of careful, standardised set-up/connection. FWIW, I've just sold my Lavry DA-10 (which was fed by a HiFace) after having the Young (v1) at home for a month. The Young is very nice indeed and I can't wait to receive the v2 which will take pride of place. Something I like is that the Young runs very cool, much cooler than the Lavry. It's foot print matches that of my MacMini (alu) and the Mac looks very well stacked on the Young (I'll post a pic this w/e)

Whilst the young looks (and I imagine sounds) great I think marco has really missed a trick by not including a digital volume control......

Whilst the young looks (and I imagine sounds) great I think marco has really missed a trick by not including a digital volume control......

Yea, I don't know, the Lavry had one and I didn't use it. Perhaps the inclusion on the Young with a headphone out would be good though. It does sound good and i seriously didn't buy it just because of looks :)

Yea, I don't know, the Lavry had one and I didn't use it. Perhaps the inclusion on the Young with a headphone out would be good though. It does sound good and i seriously didn't buy it just because of looks :)

I don't have a pre-amp so essential for me. Anyway be good to see how it compares to the other 2 if anyone manages to source them...

I would be happy to attend with 3 DACs if you like.

I have:

RGA Black Series - Co-ax and AES Connections TDA 1541a Chip - all hand built in Italy.

RGA Copper Series - Co-Ax and AES Connections TDA 1541a Chip - all hand built in Italy
Woodside-Radford DAC - Co-Ax and BNC connections.

I am in SE London, and dependant on date, time and location, would be quite happy to attend another bake off.

Look forward to hearing from you

I recently did the London Hifi Show with Richard of NVA and Jason. Blinding day with some very positive outcomes for a variety of DACs.

Do let me know if these maybe of interest to you.

I would be happy to attend with 3 DACs if you like.

I have:

RGA Black Series - Co-ax and AES Connections TDA 1541a Chip - all hand built in Italy.

RGA Copper Series - Co-Ax and AES Connections TDA 1541a Chip - all hand built in Italy
Woodside-Radford DAC - Co-Ax and BNC connections.

I am in SE London, and dependant on date, time and location, would be quite happy to attend another bake off.

Look forward to hearing from you

I recently did the London Hifi Show with Richard of NVA and Jason. Blinding day with some very positive outcomes for a variety of DACs.

Do let me know if these maybe of interest to you.

Hi Cliffyboy

Interesting stuff, would be good to compare with the 1541a sound.

Will send a message nearer the time.

Perhaps to be done on another day, to prevent DAC-overload, lets see.

Have spoken to Guildford Audio.

We now have

Young Dac (Keith/Purite)
1541a Dac (cliffyboy)
M1 MF Dac (guildford)
Heed Dac (guildford)

Heed Transport (guidlford)
Laptop with Hiface (hiface Purite)

We now need -

CDQ (??)
Rega Dac (??)

Local Audio T may be able to help here, if we have no takers... but I'm not paying £1,000+ deposit.... sorry !

Chris Hi, shall I also send an M2Tech Hiface, it might make the comparisons fairer to the non Async dacs and enable you to play Hires files from the Rega?
I guarantee after this you wil never volunteer for DAC evaluation again!
vb Keith.

Hi Keith

Yes please, this will mean we can do laptop + hiface comparison with a dedicated (heed) transport.

nb - any news on the new batch of 'young' dacs arrival?

How about stirring some left-field contenders into the mix? I'm really interested to see how the 2011 DACs compare, and could send/bring any/all of these, priced from £250-500:

- Emotiva XDA1
- KingRex UD01 Pro (USB only)
- Furutech GT40 (phono stage, ADC/DAC)
- Yamaha Steinberg MR816 (Firewire only, practically speaking)

Could also snag a Rega DAC for inclusion if it helps.

The Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 is available, but perhaps playing in a different league at £899?

You're also welcome to borrow a Halide Bridge and KingRex UC192 for USB > XXX conversion on a smaller budget than the Evo, or to compare with the baby HiFace.

Chris hi, the new batch of Youngs ,firmware suitably modified,arrive early next week, I will send you one asap, and you can keep it until the other dacs arrive.
Very best,Keith.

Hi Bottleneck.

A bit of a run for me, but I'll pop up with a CDQ depending on dates.
Saturday would be better for me.

Regards
Dave.

advertisement

Back