advertisement

Mira 4 to blow the Naims out of the water?

Solid state amplifier technology is mature.
Nothing coming down the line from any manufacturer will 'blow Naims out of the water'.

If as I suspect, what you are saying is you like the Naim sound then there are shed load of options.

Would you consider second hand; if so you could put together a serious system with not that much expense.

Right off the bat I'd recommend mine: 72/Hicap/250, classic and quite special.

Speakers, the clear choice being Epos ES 14s (bungs in).

Front end, I run the LP12 and Karik.

Put this together and it will wipe the floor with your Rega.

Just a thought....

Hence the challenge to rega.

Source is a Krell top-loader. Sounds pretty good to me so didn't bother to investigate the equivalent Naim players. I noticed a few folks who use non-Naim players such as the Rega Saturn on their Naim amps.

SB takes little to beat, its really not very exiting and I never understood people are using expensive gear matching such a source

For getting blowed out in the water another source is required

what source do you recommend for the rega dac. I've been able to mod the squeezebox touch, and it sounds really really good. I'd be surprised if any other streaming source in the sub $1000 - $2000 category can beat it, now that it's modded. Ditto for CD player transports.

I struggle with some of this, if you like the Naim sound, buy Naim, The Rega house sound is not going toblow a Naim out of the water, any more than a Naim amp will blow a quad or Rega out of the water. Amplification is fairly mature, well understood, and probably very little new will come out of it. (May be class D will mature).
I find that SS amplifiers sound much less different without a badge on them.

Can someone describe what the Rega 'house sound' sounds like?

To me, it sounds like it was voiced by someone who loves vinyl/analog reproduction, strived to imitate it even with digital sources. Leaning to a touch of warmth, avoiding a strikingly obvious separation of detail. Well balanced, so that no one frequency range stands out at the expense of others. Subtle power more than stunning. Maybe I wouldn't have thought of all that if I didn't already know they had a base in record players. Anyway, I like it. I find it quite consistent across Mira, Elicit, Apollo/Saturn.

-paul-

To me, it sounds like it was voiced by someone who loves vinyl/analog reproduction, strived to imitate it even with digital sources. Leaning to a touch of warmth, avoiding a strikingly obvious separation of detail. Well balanced, so that no one frequency range stands out at the expense of others. Subtle power more than stunning. Maybe I wouldn't have thought of all that if I didn't already know they had a base in record players. Anyway, I like it. I find it quite consistent across Mira, Elicit, Apollo/Saturn.

The most apt description I've read so far. Well done. The statement in bold has been pretty spot on.

advertisement

Back