advertisement

Mira 4 to blow the Naims out of the water?

M@ver1ck

pfm Member
Dear Rega Research folks,

Having bought the Rega dac and the rega rs5 speakers, I really wanted to get a rega amp. Unfortunately, I ended up liking the Nait XS more than the rega elicit or the rega cursa/maia.

The timing just wasn't there.

Come on. Give us a great amp. Something that I can put between the rega dac and the rega speakers.

Thanks!

The title of the thread suggests a Naim bashing is in the cards. Turned out otherwise.

Is your username MangoMonkey on the Naim forum? I don't think Rega will come with an amp that will sound like a Naim. Both companies will retain the house sound of their products to cater a huge diverse crowd. Some like chocolate while some like vanilla.

Hopefully those who believe all amplifiers(or CD players) sound the same won't chime in.

Don't be afraid to mix and match a little as tempting as it is to stick to the one brand. Just remember that you would only be doing this for the sake of appearances.

Rega amps are pretty good but they aren't the strongest components in the brand's portfolio imho, although the Brio is good at its price point. Rega make great front ends - CD players, turntables and now DACs. Some of the speakers they make are pretty good too. I owned a pair of Naos speakers for seven years - the predecessors to the RS7s.

Faced with looking at amps from elsewhere I'd compare the Naim Nait XS with a Densen B110 or B130. The Densen amps will also be a better visual match with the Rega boxes, imo. Densen are big into Pace, rhythm and timing and their motto is "life is too short for boring hi-fi."

Why do you particularly care what brand it is? Sounds like you already found the best item to fit your requirements.

M@ver1ck (MM)
Not sure about your motives or your style of questioning...

Do you really want an all Rega system, don't like the look or thought of an odd looking Naim XS in the stack, like the Rega house sound, don't like Naim.
Did the XS really disappoint, thats hard to believe that compared to most peoples opinions - in this forum alone. One thing Naim do get right is timing.
Have you asked the questions of the RS5's, only a thought but simple driver arrangements tend to "time" better than the more complex.
I only heard the RS5's once but was not impressed one way or the other. I heard them at a dealer demo with Kudos, Neat & Spendor, the guy who was doing the buying discounted the RS5 first time round & eventually went Spendor A5, & I agreed with his final choice.

brio.jpg

A Brio driven by krell kps25s.
That was pretty good for 200$ amp I thought. :p

Its really nothing to do with Rega vs. Naim - its just that the Nait XS is an incredibly brilliant amplifier, doesn't matter what the label on it is.
I'm not a Naim fan at all, don't like the sound of their supposedly higher end amps but the XS is a cracker.

Rega is making one very good integrated, but it is expensive - Rega Osiris :)

Maybe one day they will make also one good cheaper amp. I think, they have to do it. They are selling probably less and less CD Players and LP decks, so they have to increase the number of other products.

DAC is probably the begining, maybe some pre, power and integrated in the same size ?

For me Rega amps sounds good, but i don't like this strange electronic volume control. Good blue Alps is just a good blue Alps.

I guess you have not heard Elicit but fokus on its price range solely, its no where near the 5i or XS sound, it has a strange sterile performance which in no way did make me able to like it even I could have purchased it for 60% of RRP.
Bet its out of their range soon or renamed or whatever

A Naim source to Naim amplication is fine with synergi however much more expensive than what you have now (don't fool yourself to get 5i source)

A s/h CDS2 is great, the CD5xs is fine but not really a killer for the price

If you like your speakers and DAC why not calm down with a cheap s/h amp solution while hearing other options ?
A friend got a Creek 5250 for peanuts while he is looking for upgrading, its a cracking little amp for not much more than a bottle of good whisky single Malt.

What PFM20532 has said. I owned the Elicit and compared it side by side with a Nait XS in my system. The Elicit is a very mediocre amp indeed. Initially the differences between the Elicit and Nait XS may not be huge but extended listening sessions will reveal the better pace and timing on the Nait XS. The Elicit as with the lower models sound lusher and sweeter but doesn't possess the PRaT thing. If the speakers don't require the additional power, the Brio3 would probably sound more musical than the Elicit in an AB comparison. The Brio3 is the best VFM integrated in the range of Rega amps to be honest.

Yes, one thing I find unique about Naim is getting the timing right. That is the reason I have gone for the Naim It just made other amps sound slow. Ultimately it all boils down to system matching(with speakers) and listening preference. There are many Rega fans here too.

If as I suspect, what you are saying is you like the Naim sound then there are shed load of options.

Would you consider second hand; if so you could put together a serious system with not that much expense.

Right off the bat I'd recommend mine: 72/Hicap/250, classic and quite special.

Speakers, the clear choice being Epos ES 14s (bungs in).

Front end, I run the LP12 and Karik.

Put this together and it will wipe the floor with your Rega.

Just a thought....

advertisement

Back