advertisement

Speakers for Tony

hifi_dave

Hi-Fi Retailer
Our esteemed leader is on the hunt for a pair of speakers to suit his Prima Luna amp. His preferred choice is a big ol' pair of Tannoy DC. but others may be suitable.

Any suggestions ?

ESL57s.
Totally different to Tannoys - but will also play anything. Suited to freestanding position where high SPL not required.

I thought it was esl 57's due to volume levels needing to be too high via the Tannoys?

Wow that was quick whilst I was typing Martin!

Wasn't he getting some Harbeths?

Was pretty surprised when he sold the Tannoys tbh. They sounded very good in that system.

More Tannoys then or big ESLs.

Why did Tony sell Tannoy he had? All they needed was lifting up from floor?

I think for listening quietly a nice pair of single driver OB is an idea.
Tony has hankered after 57s for a while now. Try before you die :D

I think I've reached the point where it's safe to say there are three main categories of speaker that I like: big high efficiency horns e.g. Tannoys, Klipsch etc, panels e.g. Quads, Maggies etc, and tiny little mini-minitors e.g. Proac 1SCs, Kans, LS3/5As etc. I love the idea of full range speakers e.g. Lowthers etc too, but I've never heard any that I could actually live with.

I'm certainly curious about what folk suggest here, but I suspect I'll just take my time and hunt down a really nice clean pair of vintage Tannoys. I fancy a completely stock unmolested pair of Lancasters just like Ian's to be honest - just to enjoy them for what they are without getting wound-up on a 'what if I did this...' upgrade / tweak path. Maybe consider Chatsworths too as my room is quite small and I don't listen loud. The whole Harbeth mistake thing has been pretty stressful so I'm feeling more than a little risk-adverse at present.

Tony.

Tony
I stopped using my Tannoys when I discovered Sonus Faber Electa Amators. They have all the attributes that the Tannoy sound has but taken to the next level. They need a bit of current to drive them but boy are they good. Any Tannoy fan will LOVE them I promise.
Please try and listen to a pair, I am convinced they will impress the hell out of you and are lovely to look at as a bonus.

Tony
I stopped using my Tannoys when I discovered Sonus Faber Electa Amators
Takes all sorts. I suppose.
I'll be moving to Genelec sooner or later, but otherwise I'd take a pair of JBL LSR 6332. Maybe a little too real for audiophile tastes, and, of course, not toob friendly.
A truly modern take on the coaxial speaker are the equator audio range, which sound very good, but at a totally non-audiophile price.
Again, toobs need not apply, but this is 2011 after all.

They need a bit of current to drive them

Falling at the first hurdle, I gather. Tony likes to listen quietly. The original reason for selling his Tannoys was that they needed a higher level to come alive than he liked.

Something that sounds good at very low levels is needed. This is what set Tony on the Harbeth road which has not worked out well in his room/system. The ESL57 would be closer. I think Tony has heard those, and liked them, but from previous posts they wouldn't suit his room layout for practical considerations, like getting at his records, so he decided against them (a difficult customer for sure).

What I do find significant is that both his Tannoys and the ESL57 avoid a crossover in the region where the Harbeth Radial cone is crossed over to the tweeter, i.e. ca. 3 kHz. Tony seems to prefer speakers which do not cross over in the frequency region, where his ears seem unwilling to tolerate the problems that inevitably go with a crossover.

So we need something with a crossover either significantly lower or higher.

Guys, now don't get too carried away recommending your favourites. We all don't want Tony to go through all the pain again. What worked well in our systems may not work well in someone else's system. Unless one can audition the speakers or resell them without any loss(Tony is looking to lose £600 with the sale of the SHL5's and XF stands in just 2 weeks - imagine that), sticking to the good old Tannoys seem to be the best way forward.

Barrymidd, as good as the Sonus Faber Electa Amators I or II can be, I have some reservations whether they would be able to dislodge Tony's 15" Tannoys although both may share a striking resemblance in sound quality. Firstly, the bass performance of the Electa Amators will not be able to match the 15" Tannoys as the 7" long throw midrange woofer of the Electa Amators only go down to 42Hz. Secondly, I don't think the current tube amp is able to drive the Sonus Fabers.

I fancy a completely stock unmolested pair of Lancasters just like Ian's to be honest - just to enjoy them for what they are without getting wound-up on a 'what if I did this...' upgrade / tweak path.

It's a good place to be. 5 years on they're still unmolested, and even though I know I can improve them with a better cabinet, I don't really feel the need to. I have no audio angst at all any more.

5 years on they're still unmolested, and even though I know I can improve them with a better cabinet
I've had my NS-1000s for four years. It's more a question of learning to live with the limitations of whatever it is you have than what those limitations actually are. If you see what I mean...

and tiny little mini-minitors e.g. Proac 1SCs, Kans, LS3/5As etc.

Do I have it right that JR149s were on the to be re-visited list?

(typed while looking at/listening to a pair of JR149s and wondering whether it's time they moved on.)

I've had my NS-1000s for four years. It's more a question of learning to live with the limitations of whatever it is you have than what those limitations actually are. If you see what I mean...
This. I've had my H2s over 6years now and feel no compulsion to try other things (I have, but only as idle musing as opportunity presents). No audio angst here, either.

advertisement

Back