systemdek 11XE900 (new)
lp12 valhalla / akito K18 (new)
lingo (new)
ittok (used)
klyde (new)
townshend rock 2 (used)
pink triangle export (used)
roksan xerxes / artemiz (used)
roksan 20 / dx2 1.5 / artemiz / OC9 ml2 (new)
roksan tms2 / artemiz / lyra helikon (new)
linn lp12 lingo / cirkus / ekos (used)
lp12 pink link / ekos (used)

and my latest is a used 'voyd' which i'm currently looking for an armboard and arm to get up and running again.

the roksan 20 was probably the best allround. couldn't get the TMS2 to sing as it should i guess, as it was only marginally better than the 20, or i tried to convince myself it was better after paying for it.

Linn Axis/Akito/K9
Gyrodec/RB300/MC25FL
Gyrodec/OL Silver MkII/Kontrapunkt B
Gyrodec/Tecnoarm/Kontrapunkt B
Pedersen Gyrodec/SME V/Shelter 901
Voyd Valdi/Aereus II/ZYX R-100
Voyd Valdi/Aereus II/Shelter 901
The Voyd/HR100S/Shelter 901 (later upgraded with Lexan platter and Reference bearing)

The basic steps taken, not much more can be done without major investment.... Like a Radikal and a Keel !!!.....:eek:

Dual CS505/1 A&R P77
Linn Axis/Basic Plus/K9
Linn Axis/Akito/K18
LP12 Valhala/Akito/K18
LP12 Valhala/Ittok/Asaka
LP12 Lingo/Ittok/Asaka
LP12 Lingo/Cirkus/Ittok/Asaka
LP12 Lingo/Cirkus/Ekos2/Trampolin/Troika
LP12 Lingo2/Cirkus/Ekos2/Trampolin2/Lyra Evolve 99 Current deck - (same Black Ash LP12 owner from new in 1992)

P9 is much more detailed, a tad 'cooler' sounding, very upfront, but a little less than LP12. You hear many more things in the music, Cecil Taylor singing with his piano playing. P9 is easy to work (it has an armlift!) and very simple to set up. There is also the cartridge and pre-amp to consider. Apheta is one great cart and the Nagra makes the Prefix sound compressed and distorted. Don't think this will help, will it?

Regards, Klyde

Many thanks for the feedback Klyde :)

I'm currently running an LP12/Valhalla/ARO and upgraded to this from a P7. Whilst the LP12 is better, the difference is less than I was expecting.

The LP12 has more weight and a greater fluidity in the midrange whilst the P7 sounds more solid, punchy and focussed. I have a feeling that the Valhalla is holding things back a bit.

When buying the LP12, I heard the effect of moving from an Armageddon to a Radikal. Suffice to say it was one of those jaw on the floor moments. The Radikal is superb but the price is too much for me :( I wonder if the Funk Firm DC motor gives a similar effect to the Radikal....

Lefty

Somewhat condensed history as I have owned four Lp12s and three ekos, three troikas and four arkivs
Carts wear out, I understand that, but why would anyone buy the same durable items multiple times - especially when said items are upgradeable. Strange man.

James

Old and cheap LP12s, most definitely, but it's nigh impossible to buy cheap Ekos unless they're knackered. I'm still looking out for a spare ARO arm-tube to no avail.

1983 university - From zero to a SH music system with big speakers, TT tape radio. It was better than my dad's phillips thing and it cost £30 from my then girlfriends dad who though it was broken!!!

1986 - first proper pay packet - rega Planar 3 ATOC5
1992 - LP12 Vallahala then ATOC9 (x2)
2008(?) - heurculese II power supply

Er .. that's it

I notice that many of you are opting for many small upgrades before then jumping to a BIG change. Surely that's wasteful of that all improtant of wonga!

M

Lots of changes is more fun and more educational as one gets to understand what kind of change each upgrade makes.

But if you are not careful you also end up with five TTs in the sitting-room like me or more than 150 all over the house if you are a certain Wam trade member

Dunlop Systemdek, curly Linn Basik arm, Linn Basik cartridge
153576725.jpg

Sondek/BasikLVX/Karma
+ Ittok
+ Asaka
+ Troika
+ Lingo
+ Cirkus
+ Linto
+ Klyde
+ Ekos2
+ Arkiv Boron

Technics 1210/Ekos2
Timestep PS
Transfiguration Axia
+ Uphorik

I've found the answer in 'Trade Announcements' GTA(a) is one slab of Aluminium and one slab of Acrylic, the rest of the gubbins is the same. I'd be interested in hearing a view on how it sounds.

Exactly.
The Mixed material plinth does seem better than the all aluminium one I had before - actually just one part of my original aluminium plinth was replaced with an acrylic piece. I rate the the all aluminium quite a bit above the all acrylic as well.
The GTA(a) is a bit more resolving with a lower noise floor - those seem the main improvements - Not massive but the final version is well ahead of the standard deck imo.

cheers
Jason

Gerrard AP76
then Pioneer PL12D with Shure M75EDII
then Dual CS604 (Direct Drive-reputedly a valid competor for the then Rega Planer 3, but there were no nearby Rega dealers)
Cartridges for Dual were Ortofon VMS20EII and then the lesser but more compatible Ortofon FF15.
Then used an A&R P77 mm cartridge for a number of years, with Nagoaka crystal mat after I broke a GA Soundisc...
and finally LP12/Vallhalla/Ittock II/Dynavector 10X5, which I'm sticking with but will add a Lingo power supply in the future...

1994 - s/h black Planar 3/RB200/Arcam P77 (not bad actually)
1995 - black Planar 3/RB300/Super Bias
1996 - green Planar 3/RB300/Exact (lovely cart)
1997 - LP12/Valhalla/Ittok LVII/MC20 (bit dull)
1999 - LP12/Valhalla/Aro/DV17D2 (a lot less dull)
2005 - Planar 9/RB1000/DV17D3.

Optonica RP-1414 (Shure, Goldring carts)
Moth Kanoot (Rega Elys, Goldring, DV 10X4)
Spacedeck (various DV carts, currently an XX-2)

pioneer belt
technics linear tracker
onkyo ?

* a discovery, the CD. embrace it and turn my back to vinyl for 20+ years

re-entry, stumble through a slew of junk tables, then try harder

mmf 2.2
sl1200mkll
systemdek llx (this would have been a good place to stop & enjoy)
layfette idler
p5
sota saphhire

a fair amount of phonostages, tonearms and cartridges

Revolver/Linn LV arm/ Basik cartridge
Changed Cartridge to Linn K9
Stilton Audio modified Supex MM cartridge
Townshend Rock/Alphason Opal/Audio Technica ATF5
Changed cartridge to Denon DL304
Changed arm to Kuzma Stogi
Changed Cartridge to Lyra Lydian
Changed cartridge to Lyra Lydian Beta