advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, and few others who were at Bartletts, have already spoken a bit about how it sounds on here and other forums. I think AndrewR also wrote a piece on his blog about it.

I guess the opinions of those who have purchased the first units will soon start coming through.

You' re right, but what I asked for was a little bit more specificity. Comments like "it sounded significantly better than two other DACs", or "it sounds analogue" give maybe a rough idea, but "better" and "analogue" may mean different things to different people, and the "oher DACs", IMHO, need to be specified -for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I agree that it's maybe too early, and AndrewR probably didn't want to be more thorough having had only a short listening session. So, we'll wait! :cool:

My brother will be collecting his 8200CD tomorrow, and I will be joining him for a good listen tomorrow evening. :)

Hi, just joined.

I need to replace my long dead Dynaco CDV-Pro. I was going to get it repaired (probably needs a new laser as it started skipping on tracks), but after reading this forum and that fact that modern CD players have improved sonically, I don't think it's worth it (just got it out of the box and enjoyed the glow of the 6922's!, wouldn't play a single track though).

For the same sort of money as the 8200CDQ I can get an Oppo BDV-83 SE (or for a bit more a BDP-83SE Nuforce), which has the advantage of SACD and quality Blu-Ray playback.

I just wish I could hear both to compare the sound.

I also considered going the laptop into DAC route, was looking at the Red Wine Audio Isabellina LFP-V Edition or the Wavelength Audio Cosecant USB DAC v3.

Any thought on which direction to go?

I am definately impressed by the hard work, enthusiam and design that John has put into the 8200 products. And the 8200CDQ has the advantage of CD, DAC and pre amp.

Thanks

Apparentyl some people have more than just two channel audio set-ups- who would have thought it? Fortunately companies like Nuforce are here to provide then with hardware that includes a new front fascia badge and a £400 price increase for nothing.

This was a serious question :) not messing around.

I already have enquiries from customers who have 8200CDQ on order for me to make a cable to connect a subwoofer to the lineouts, sort of a splitter cable.

Many people now use a small pair of active speakers and a subwoofer.

I do custom installs for customers that use high quality inwall speakers and a small subwoofer, not everyone wants racks of kit :)

There is a gap in the market for a high quality affordable DAC that has:

USB input
Optical Inputs
Coaxial inputs
Remote volume control
Subwoofer output with adjustable gain and crossover frequency that can be stored per input, so the subwoofer gain and crossover could do different for each input etc if needed. ( Or disabled if not needed at all)

That's my idea so dont forget me when you have made one ;)

Someone will make it for sure, just might take time.

Mark.

You know Mark I had seen your question and was quietly hoping JW would comment.

The thought did occur to me before for them to have dual subwoofer output (stereo config) with bass management however I thought it was too late in the design stage to even suggest it. You've made me think now that perhaps JW could incorporate it into the DQ.... although the CDQ would have been ideal.

Apparentyl some people have more than just two channel audio set-ups- who would have thought it? Fortunately companies like Nuforce are here to provide then with hardware that includes a new front fascia badge and a £400 price increase for nothing.

Hi, I only have a 2 channel setup. I'm curious about your Nuforce comment. Have you heard no difference between the BDP-83 SE and Nuforce Edition?

I assume that Nuforce has actually changed components to improve the sound as they say on their website, or do you have information to the contrary?

Thanks

I'm sure the handfull of capacitors and different rectifiers are well worth the 2x price differential.

8200CDQ seems availalbe in france from today.
Anyone had the chance to "pull the trigger" and get one unit?
Lots of good products currently "poping up", and lots of expectations from the 8200CDQ, DQ, MDAC.
Lets hope john will be able to tell few words about the different question above.
But I bet he might as usual be pretty damn busy right now.
Looking forward to read the news of this thread
best regards

The CD8200CDQ offers an awful lot of features for the money. It's also very well made. Just needs a few cap upgrades to let it shine. I'm not sure how good the pre-amp section is. Has anyone any comments on this?

Barry
www.referencepoint.eu

The CD8200CDQ offers an awful lot of features for the money. It's also very well made. Just needs a few cap upgrades to let it shine. I'm not sure how good the pre-amp section is. Has anyone any comments on this?

Barry
www.referencepoint.eu

I don't know what a CD8200CDQ is but the 8200CDQ has already had a large number of component upgrades over the 8200CD.

Which machine were you referring to?

Barry, I suggest you stop shilling your upgrades company and talking bullshit, how could you possibly know what needs doing to improve a product that hasn't been released yet?

Do you even know what the capacitors inside the cdq are, what spec they are and where they are sourced from?

Barry
www.referencepoint.eu

Pray tell us which caps need upgrading and from/to what particular types?
Maybe the well respected designer (who frequents this thread) can learn something from you, or maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back