advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe poor Micromega's downfall was due in a large part to being heavily tied to Philips - who at one stage manufactured stunning Laser OPU's then came along the CDM12.1 Series....

Every manufacturer who used the later Philips CDM12.x series well have true horror stories to tell...

Yes it was the VAM12.4 then the 12.5 that Run them into the ground. Before this the CDM9pro was ubber nice, the new CDpro2 is supposed to be excellent

http://www.daisy-laser.com/products/cd/modules/cdpro2/cdpro2.htm

Spacey I have a stage 3 with wobbly drawer sat downstairs in the cellar.

Thought that was given away recently?

I've had most of their players the stage 6 being the last. Loved the microdrive(with pro mech mod) and microdac. the Duo Pro being the best. Meridian 588 was better though.

Hello to the above:

Not being paranoid at all. I'm asking from my personal experience which maybe quite different from yours. I also do not believe that a unit like this could be fixed in my own area or country if the diagnosis was more complicated. All I asked of John was for his take and observation of the Q & C in the plant. That is all. If you are comparing a plasma TV to this "new on the market" item, I don't believe that is a fair comparison. I can take a plasma TV to any of my service centers here in town and they will have been schooled in it because it is a well known product with literally millions of them all over the place. Not so with the new Audiolab's CDQ. We are not dealing with a Yamaha or Denon etc., that can also be fixed anywhere. That is why I asked John about the Q & C for this new product. I think my question for him was not even close to the realm of paranoia. Is it not allowed on this forum to query about a new unit that one is considering buying? I see countless questions to John. But I guess none of them are paranoid only mine is considered such when I query about the quality control and warranty of a new item that I've never owned before. Pardon me. My mistake for asking.

If the above respondents to my query have a problem with what I asked, then why trouble yourselves at all responding back to a request that was not made to you to begin with but rather to John. Truly you must have better things to do with your time.

If I ask anything on this forum in the future I'll make sure that I ask sanitized questions that should meet with all of your approval before I submit them so as not to be scrutinized and parsed by individuals to whom the question wasn't even asked.

And breath...

Ooh such a heated response. Was only trying to help out bud. I'm perfectly aware who you addressed your question to however thought i might be able to humour you, obviously not as it transpired since i must bow to your superior knowledge and personal experience. Keep those questions rolling in, we're not all out to get you, well i certainly wont get in your way. Too busy trying to source a bryston for the cost of a cdq. :)

Hello MI55ION:

I must say that my heat was really not for you directly but it did set a spark because I did not take the first line of your response as humorous - one of the short comings of communicating through this manner. My apologies. The heat came on with the other two posts below: "the paranoid man" etc. I ask a question and all of a sudden I'm paranoid; a question that any reasonable person would ask a salesperson before buying an expensive piece of electronics. And as far as my superior knowledge please. I know a meager amount in this genre and I'm always searching out definitions etc. and feeling like an idiot when I have to ask what seems like a ludicrous question to the learned and sometimes getting the crap end of the stick with some and with others giving you the shirt off their back as far as helping a learner.

So you take care,

Algernon

It can be repaired in just the same way as any other component from any other electronics manufacturer who uses multi layer printed circuit boards. Additionally unlike most designers John himself supports the products directly whenever he is able to and has demonstrated ongoing support for products decades after they were released.

Short of having a manufacturers guarantee for 10 years+ it's about as good as it gets.

Like I said, buy a spare laser assembly and forget about it.

I measured the clock of the dacapo with a locked signal and it's 16.730. Should I check some other point?)
Thanx a lot John.
Loris

Hi John, I told the technician to recheck the clock. He tried with 3 different sources but "the clock remain the same" ( led zeppelin:)

Loris

Hello all,

first post here, but i have been following from the beginning. I was just back in the UK recently from my adoptive home of Greece. Whilst in Shrewsbury i popped into a dealer who sells Audiolab hoping to get a look at the new units. They had an CD8200, but sold it a few days before, damn, bugger and bo##cks! On my return to Greece i found myself stuck in Athens for a few days courtesy of a transport union strike..... no matter, it gave me the opportunity to check out a Hi-Fi dealer that i know and low and behold he had a CD8200 in (just delivered mind) I didn't have enough time to take a listen, but i was encouraged to return in the near future as he said he would be receiving 6 pre ordered 8200CDQ's in the next week or so. Just thought i'd let you all know the situation here in Greece as far as availability goes. Still don't know if i'm going for the CDQ, DQ or MDAC yet though....ahhhhhhh!!!!! Too many choices:confused:

If anyones still unsure about the 8200CD, then trust my words when I say the CDQ IS REALLY REALLY Special...

Dear John,

Your statement on the improved CD configuration of the 8200CDQ, being implemented after the release of the 8200CD player, confuses me. I basically need the functionality offered by the 8200CD, but am now left with the impression that spending the extra buck on the preamp, even without using it, would be the best way to go. Could you please comment on this? Thank you for bringing true hifi into the realm of people earning ordinary salaries ;)

Paul

Hey there,

First post for me too, glad I joined you.

I would like to upgrade my digital front-end, and the 8200CD seems perfect in terms of specs, versatility and price. I currently use a Beresford TC-7510 DAC, which is great for the money, but showed its limits when I upgraded my analog setup recently with a Clearaudio Performance tt. The latter is not typically analogue-sounding in the Linn tradition, but combines "analogue" qualities like naturalness, quiet and great dynamics with "digital" ones like resolution and clarity (no added "warmth" or tubey atmospherics here), just like my beloved Densen B-110 amp. The Beresford, by comparison, sounds, well, too digital. You get the sense of an edge being constantly there, and it's not even that detailed or transparent in complex passages.

Now, I've read John W. describing his goal for the 8200 series to sound as analogue as possible. So, I would be grateful if John, or any other member who has heard the 8200CD, could comment a bit further with the above points in mind -maybe compare its sound to that of other products, analogue or digital (a comparison with John's other huge success, the DacMagic, for example, would be very welcome). The reviews so far seem of little help here, maybe because of "balance keeping" considerations.

Also, like Calvin&Hobbes above, I don't need the preamp on the CDQ, but would be interested in reading John W.'s view on the matter.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Errrr... Anybody?

I didn't mean to interrupt your wonderful conversation, come on! Is it my fault that this wonderful thread just... passed out? :confused:

Every question has been answered... except this one: how do these machines sound to the members of this community?! I have no doubts about the expert opinions of John himself or the audio magazines, but IMHO the perspective needs to be broadened. Apparently, very few if any are lucky owners yet? I could get myself an CD8200 but, as posted, am curious about John's additional comment on comparative CD performance by the CDQ (which seems non-available yet).
Another question then: where are the mentioned Gramophone (CD) and Hifi-world (CDQ) reviews to be found? Only am aware of the WHF and HFC review.

Will any of the Dacs have a subwoofer output ? ( not seen an output on the pictures of the CD players)

This was a serious question :) not messing around.

I already have enquiries from customers who have 8200CDQ on order for me to make a cable to connect a subwoofer to the lineouts, sort of a splitter cable.

Many people now use a small pair of active speakers and a subwoofer.

I do custom installs for customers that use high quality inwall speakers and a small subwoofer, not everyone wants racks of kit :)

There is a gap in the market for a high quality affordable DAC that has:

USB input
Optical Inputs
Coaxial inputs
Remote volume control
Subwoofer output with adjustable gain and crossover frequency that can be stored per input, so the subwoofer gain and crossover could do different for each input etc if needed. ( Or disabled if not needed at all)

That's my idea so dont forget me when you have made one ;)

Someone will make it for sure, just might take time.

Mark.

No doubt in a few days people will start talking about how they sound. Which is where I initially wanted this thread to end up. Hence starting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back