advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mark,

For the closest approach to Hi-Fi, what ever the data source, be it CD, USB or SPDIF inputs it’s the basic requirement that the Audio “Data” is recovered “Bit Accurate”.

There’s a whole load of talk about different CD mechanisms, or USB cables, or audio reply software – but if any item of software or hardware restrict the transfer of “Bit Accurate” audio, then you can simply NEVER attain Hi-Fi reproduction – if the Data is not Bit accurate, then you cannot reproduce the Audio signal in High Fidelity, its as simple as that.

While Bit Accuracy is the first requirement, second order effects such as Jitter, RF Interference and Ground-loops become the next items that require attention.

There’s simply no reason why a CD servo section should be allow to effect the DAC conversion process if design correctly – a CD “transport” is one of the easiest items to design to remove “Second” order effects.

Its gets more complex when computers / networks are brought into the equation – computers generate large amounts of RF noise and nasty Earth leakage currents with there associated noise loops.

Async USB goes a long way to removing the first order Jitter effects, the DAC / PC interface is controlled via the DAC’s high performance Clock. However RF noise and Mains Earth related leakage currents will have there hand in effecting the conversion process via second order effects that can “Jitter” the DAC’s clock, and / or inject RF into the Analogue sections etc…

As a designer, CD easy to get closer to the “perfect” source (working with the available Data), while USB and other “Multimedia” devices require much greater care.

That said, with care, PC’s and Multimedia devices can and do deliver HiFi results – but it just requires designer's who understand the complexities involved.

As a simple example, there’s simply no reason why an iPod, iPhone or iPad could not deliver the same results TODAY as the Best CD players (replaying lossless files) – it only requires attention to BASIC details – the issue has been to convince Apple that HiFi manufactures deserve the chance to develop such products – and Apple to open a simple avenue for “small” companies to access and license their technology – while still protecting Apple and the Music industry’s IP.

John

If they are air-freighting them daily then there should be some in the shops next week...

If they are saying Q1, then they are air freighting dealer demo stock only.

Sadly I don't believe that dealers are hoarding the units for Demo use, they are selling what ever they can for the fear of a "Lost Sale".

Judging by the CONSTANT Emails begging for stock, I believe you would be hard pressed to find anyone who have units sitting unsold ATM, its very frustrating.

You have to consider that not only are we trying to meet the demands of the UK, but also the “lets say” 30 or so other countries who are asking for almost "unlimited" amounts of stock...

Every “Rave” review we receive only makes the situation worst…. It is a good product, and worth waiting for...

Every piece of Test Gear and production line space has been opened up to produce the 8200CD - and recently the 8200CDQ but we have gone from practically Zero too full-on Military power with afterburners - and yet cannot come close to meeting requirements, its simply crazy ATM... then not to mention DQ, MDAC, QDAC etc... Every Distributor who has received a few units of 8200CD has gone totally mad over the product.... which would be good for us if we could meet their orders, but you can just imagine the situation here...

I'm very VERY sorry for the everyone who is frustrated, but just image the numbers we are trying to produce, I can assure you there’s nothing worst then having to turn orders away – especially in light of the worldwide financial climate over the recent year’s…

John

Funny how there's no one on any of the forums who has purchased one, in fact I know no one who has shop demo'd yet outside the unit you had. Basically it would appear that the UK is getting ****ed for other territories...

Certainly theres not even a hint of CDQ availability yet.

I would rather have a situation of delay and waiting lists than have QC suffer.

I hope the bosses at I.A.G. are of the same mind there.

Hi SQ,

The UK is Audiolab's home market, that would never be allowed to happen.

Hi Cloth-Ears,

Indeed QC is our #1 priority with the launch of the 8200 range, we have something like 15 Audio Precision just dedicated to our production line(s), it's also the reason we are having to be careful ramping up production numbers - we would rather refuse orders then endanger quality....

I personally know of a big UK manufacturer who has bought a 8200CD for there own in house use.... :) I hope they like it! So maybe there is an explanation for the demand, and why nothing is being posted :)

I look forward to them arriving John, it great times for people making choices for their digital front end.

LOL, that's quite the hommage to the Czech Republic. - If anyone is planning to visit the Czech Republic after reading this thread or watching the clip, make sure to include the city of Cesky Krumlov to your intinerary. It lies in the very south, close to the Austrian border and I think it's the most beautiful city in all of central Europe.

the issue has been to convince Apple that HiFi manufactures deserve the chance to develop such products – and Apple to open a simple avenue for “small” companies to access and license their technology – while still protecting Apple and the Music industry’s IP.

John,

I think you have a very good point here. However, Apple has recently started licencing AirPlay support technology to 3rd party vendors, and there are smaller companies acting as an intermedary between apple and hifi manufacturers providing hardware/software support for implementing this technology. Is there any hope that Audiolab, or other such company will implement this technology and combine it with high quality DAC units to provide a true hi-fi computer music player (hopefully within a reasonable price range)?

I still remain somewhat unconvinced that using appletv or a PC as a source component will not give true hi-fi sound even when used with good quality DAC. And I am not going back to CDs, thank you very much.

Aloft,

Yes, sure makes me wish I was back home (even more then usual) - I cannot risk showing it to Dominik as I need him to complete the Software for DQ and MDAC!!!

The clip was pass to my wife Renata with the message that she drinks more Dark Beer, I cannot understand why..... (And No! it was not me that passed the message onto her).

Apart from Prague and Cesky Krumlov, Telc is also worth a visit, thinking about it basically anywhere you go to in Czech its worth the visit.

Get this, just around the corner where we live (OK up a steep mountain), there’s an outdoor BAR / BBQ which is “unmanned”, a forester goes up every morning drops off supplies and starts the fire – you help yourself to Beer (which are cooled in the mountain stream that flows beside the BAR), Drinks and you can even cook food in the fire (food is provided), and you just drop off the payment into a little box when you leave!!! Try that here in China, or almost anywhere else in the world…

Wishing I was there right now – Dinner has just passed straight though me (once again)…

More Dark Beer anyone?!?

Hi markomarko,

Call me old fashion - but I still prefer the "certainty" and reliability of CD, just load the disk and press play... Despite building my own Z80 based computers when I was 11 years old, I REALLY hate computers, bloody things are always having some issue with life... no network etc.

OK, so we have to move on from CD, I think the Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad make a great "Easy" method to replay audio while still being brought into the modern age...

I sit here replaying lossless files from the iPad, and I cannot tell the difference from the original CD's I copied them from - So it does work, I just leave it to my Wife to import the files... I hate computers... (Did we just design an Async USB DAC)?

I think there needs to be a no-fuss consumer box such as the AppleTV (That kind of form factor) maybe with internal storage that backs everything up online, so no need to connect any backup drives etc. Then if the unit goes pop the user gets another one, sticks a username and password in to identify themselves and voila it re-downloads all their music.

It'll only go mass market when it's easy to understand, people want a device/console not a computer - look at the iPad as a template - people warm to it and embrace it rather than looking at it as something they don't understand or want to understand.

Or of course lossless streaming from an online service but the record labels just can't wrap their brains around that one yet.....

Dan,

iTunes would be it, if it where not so geared towards compressed files, it takes a bit of fiddling to get it to import and replay your files "losslessy", iTunes always trying to force you to use it the way APPLE want you to use it!

A few years from now, and I guess we will reach a stage where "Compressed" files where so "2000 ish"...

Fingers crossed John, when the industry stops trying to sell compressed versions of whats on CD things can really move on.

I work in IT so don't mind too much when things go wrong as I can usually bodge my way out of it and get whatever the problem is working again. I can see how computer based music is a risky option for those who can't. The iPad is I think going to kickstart a new era of "Console Computing" from all vendors not just Apple where things are more accessible and hopefully reliable for all. I'm all in favour of it, VMware gave an interesting statistic on a course I took recently that 70% of IT resources are spent keeping the ship afloat and only 30% go into innovation, with devices like the iPad (In the broadest sense) hopefully that balance can tip the other way.

I sit here replaying lossless files from the iPad, and I cannot tell the difference from the original CD's I copied them from - So it does work, I just leave it to my Wife to import the files... I hate computers... (Did we just design an Async USB DAC)?

John, thanks for the reply. Please tell me you didn't plug in the analog out from your iPad directly into your amp?! If you did, I am not buying another DAC, ever ;)

markomarko,

Oh Crap, why did I not try that!, I could have saved the US$30 for the camera connection kit !!!

OK, only joking...

Hi Dan,

Yes, by connecting the CD /CDQ / DQ via the USB + Apple Camera Connection Kit.
The CD / CDQ / DQ needs to be set to "Legacy Compatibility Mode" As the iPad only authenticates with 16 Bit/ 48kHz Max USB Audio devices (and Non Async).

This might have changed with the latest release by Apple of OS 4.X but I have not yet had a chance to try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back