advertisement

Nait XS or NAC202/NAP 200

audionaut

Hi

Have a one year old Nait XS, which I love so much that I am considering upgrading to a locally available set of NAC202/NAP200, which are 5-8 years old.

BTW: Do amps really degrade over much over time?

Anyway - selling my XS and getting the NAC202/NAP200 combo, the inbetween-money will be £ 8-900

Is it worth it?

My XS is already styled with a teddycap. My source is NaimDAC. Speakers Rega R7.

Thanks for reading - please comment whatever comes into your mind :)

I'd keep the XS and junk the Teddycap for the matching flatcap XS. Then consider whether you want to move up the tree...

"coupe-sport", have you done an a/b since you are so certain? There are a lot of positive posts on the teddycap, and unless they are all a result of shilling, it cannot be that bad. Besides - I like the size. The FlatcapXS is basically empty space inside!

Anyway - didn't want this to be a teddy-thread.

I love my Nait XS sooo much, I want to upgrade it.:D

This doesn't make sense to me (well ok, I do admit that the perverse desire to upgrade in spite of satisfaction can strike), but I can tell you that you'll get a big step in resolution, space and transparency with the 202. Not necessarily any need for a 200 if your speakers don't demand it - a 202/155 may suffice.

But for christ's sake don't get into the situation where you are thinking - oh dear I've got all this extra detail but I so miss the lovely organic feeling I used to have with my favourite Nait. Better spend the money on records if you're happy.

My speakers are Rega R7.

The upgrade-monster is what keeps naim alive, isn't it?

I'm considering it beacuse it turned up an opportunity, and "great" can always get "even greater"...

The upgrade-monster is what keeps naim alive, isn't it?

I'm considering it beacuse it turned up an opportunity, and "great" can always get "even greater"...

Sure, although you don't need to get eaten by that monster. I got a 202/200 second hand and I think it is fairly good value. I would just say that I really think you should try it with your system and make sure its right first, because sometimes a 'step-up' can mean a shift in character that misses some kernel of the sound you loved.

This doesn't make sense to me (well ok, I do admit that the perverse desire to upgrade in spite of satisfaction can strike),

It was my poor attempt at irony. The idea that someone loves a product when the query is aimed at improving it is classic upgraditis. But I suppose a thread that began "This is OK but I think I can do better" - is less enthusiastic.

I'm waiting for the first one that says "I love this and you would have to prize it from my cold dead fingers" at least we would know they really did love it. :D

Oh sorry Steve, I read it quickly and thought your post was by the OP. Yes, you have pretty much nailed the upgraditis issue here.

If I've time later, audionaut, I'll explain how the disease lead me to 202/200. Of course, you could make your disease a whole lot worse by including non-Naim products in your search.

Hi,

I saw a similar thread on the Naim forum. Most posts suggested to save some money and go for a used 282. I was going to suggest to save some money and go for a used 252, then wait to see if someone would suggest a 552. After 2nd thought I didn't bother doing that.

I listened to both Nait XS and 202/200 in my system but not at the same time, hence I didn't have the opportunity to do a direct AB comparison between the two. When I had the Nait XS it was a bare unit while the 202/200 had a Dual Teddycap Mk3 connected to it. Hence not exactly a fair comparison.

Based on my memory the Nait XS is more organic whereas the 202/200 adds more detail and air to the sound. Both are good amps and the 202/200 takes musicality a notch higher. It is up to the individual to decide whether the difference is worth the upcharge, in this case £800-900. The same goes when comparing the 202/200 to the 282/200 or 252/200. I wager music will sound more real and believable when going up the Naim ladder which contributes further to the musical enjoyment. All this comes at a high cost, and this is where Naim's competitors come into place offering better sound at a lower outlay.

"coupe-sport", have you done an a/b since you are so certain? There are a lot of positive posts on the teddycap, and unless they are all a result of shilling, it cannot be that bad.

Nope but if you like the Naim sound then stick with the Naim components. I've had Avondale in the past (and have no issues with the TC either - a lot of people like it) which was very good but found going back to a Naim PSU was preferable to me. Its your money but having had a reasonable number of Naim amps - 72/140/282/300/200 i think the XS with PSU is a real star in the Naim range and worth trying with the FC.

James

Hi

Have a one year old Nait XS, which I love so much that I am considering upgrading to a locally available set of NAC202/NAP200, which are 5-8 years old.

BTW: Do amps really degrade over much over time?

Anyway - selling my XS and getting the NAC202/NAP200 combo, the inbetween-money will be £ 8-900

Is it worth it?

My XS is already styled with a teddycap. My source is NaimDAC. Speakers Rega R7.

Thanks for reading - please comment whatever comes into your mind :)

Common the 202/200 wipes it's ass with the XS. No brainer.

The thing that occurs to me is that when the 202/200 came into existence the original 35W Nait 5 was Naim's only integrated and the 112/150 the entry level pre-power.

Given that both entry level pre-power and all the Naits i.e. 5i, 5i2, XS Supernait, 122x,152x have all been launched since then i find it hard to believe that the 202/200 can still be that much (if any) ahead.

Have you done any a/b-ing, and with what kind of speakers? I'd be happy to hear the details :) Stu_cj, you have a point in favor of the XS.. but still - the sound is all that matters

Yes I have. I am a Naim nut. The XS is a killer integrated and a real nice jump from the Italic. The extra refinement and more ballsy sound that 202/200 brings to the table more than justifies the price increase to the XS. Brand new XS $2,750. 202/200 $6,500.

advertisement

Back