advertisement

Naim NAP200 to 300

I think the 300 at used price is not a bad deal. After years of using Naim, one thing I find is that it is built rock solid and never failed on me.

Just at an all too brief audition at my dealer. Setup was 282/Hicap/200 Vs 282/Hicap/300, speakers were the new Proac flagship Carbon 8 which I cannot afford, source was CDX2S.

The 200 seemed to struggle a bit to control the low bass of the largish Proac, while managed to sound very decent with that nice pair of speakers, loads of details, heard details I never heard from my Harbeth.
What that brief audition have showned is that no matter how much you spend on the source and amplification, you will not hear details you never heard if you keep the Harbeths.

Hi,

Having carefully trodden the Naim upgrade path, I have to agree with a couple of the previous posts, in so far as, even if a purchase seems to be creating something of a "mullet" system, if the price is right, then go for it.

The Nap 300 is a stunning amp, and, at the saving you mentioned, it's a no brainer really.:D

Regards,

Dave.

Thanks. I have thought many times of bailing out the Naim but the exit risk is quite high. Naim has not the best value for money IMO, but they do give a consistent performance that I have lived with for years.

Ask yourself where it's going to end up though ?

Server + nDAC + 555PS + 552 + 552PS + SUPERCAP + NAP500 + NAP500PS

Thats 8 boxes and at least 40 grands worth.. add another £9000+ if you're going to put it all on Fraim with powerlines and hilines.

I would be looking at all the big players like Avondale, Dynavector and rega before commiting.

I would replace the word 'big' with 'quality' as these are not large outfits. Even Naim is quite small player relatively in the world markets.

Cheers,

DV

The OP should take this opportunity to reassess what he already has and what extra he intends to spend. Say all that tots up to £11K.

Now one can put together a really good computer music system for that amount of money. Here is what I did Lappytop>Weiss DAC202>Meridian 559>Obelisk 2. Now that may not be everyones cup of tea but you'll get a dynamic system with change to spare from £11K.

There are several PFMers who have this is something similar in their HiFi sytem who would welcome a visit.

Cheers,

DV

The OP should take this opportunity to reassess what he already has and what extra he intends to spend. Say all that tots up to £11K.

Now one can put together a really good computer music system for that amount of money. Here is what I did Lappytop>Weiss DAC202>Meridian 559>Obelisk 2. Now that may not be everyones cup of tea but you'll get a dynamic system with change to spare from £11K.

There are several PFMers who have this is something similar in their HiFi sytem who would welcome a visit.

Cheers,

DV

RULE #1 OF ALL HIFI: Start every system with Obelisk 2 and then work backwards ;)

Currently using NDAC/282/HiCap/200

Negotiating with someone to trade up to 300.

Good idea? Will my Harbeth M30s sing like they never sang before?

300 OUCH land. If you love the 200 you will die and go the heaven with the 300. More revealing up the chain but great fun nevertheless.

advertisement

Back