advertisement

Naim Stageline

samz

pfm Member
I currently use a Project PhonoBox SE phonostage. Would a Naim Stageline be a worthwhile upgrade, would I notice a big improvement.

Existing system is:
Linn Sondek LP12, Valhalla, pre Cirkus, Basic Plus Arm, Ortofon 2M Blue
Project PhonoBox SE
Naim 122X Naim Nap 150X - Naim Flatcap 2X - Naim CD5X -
ProAc Tablette 2000 Speakers

Not sure the smaller Naims are that much of an improvement over what you have unless you are giving the stageline its own Teddycap/Hicap/TPX1 or TPX2. (I have had both N and K in the last two years)

I use a Stageline N powered from a 112 in turn powered by a Flatcap2x with my Pre-Cirkus LP12, Lingo, Akito, 2M Red. Can't recommend it highly enough. Tried a few including the Project SE and there is no question in my mind that the Stageline is, in the context of my system superior. Trying to quantify things (that are arguably subjective anyway) in hi-fi usually ends up just being gobbledegook, so I won't try to quantify the improvement.

I would say try it and see. If you have a Naim dealer that knows you they will have no trouble lending you one. If you're more an e-bay type, it won't depreciate much in the time it takes you to decide whether to sell it on.

The other things I would consider are...
The Stageline has huge potential, giving it it's own PS or even just improving the PS on the NAC lifts the performance significantly.
Are you likely to want to make a switch to MC in the not too distant future? If so I would suggest you make do with the Project for now and get a Stageline K or S to match your new cart when you get it!

I would go for a Prefix with a decent ps over a Stageline & ps
Edit: Upgrade your arm/cartridge first.

But would the difference between Stageline and my existing Project Phonobox SE be a worthwhile upgrade?

It would be slightly different presentation, but you would not gain some quality.
I tried Stageline with Hicap and to be honest, it's not much different than powered with isupply.

Good luck,
Oz

But would the difference between Stageline and my existing Project Phonobox SE be a worthwhile upgrade?

If the difference between a Stageline and a Pro-Ject Phonobox is even remotely like the gulf between a Headline (albeit with Hi-Cap PS) and Pro-Ject Head Box II, then you won't fail to notice the improvement...

Chalk and cheese doesn't even come close as a metaphor (or is it a simile?).

I currently use a Project PhonoBox SE phonostage. Would a Naim Stageline be a worthwhile upgrade, would I notice a big improvement.

Existing system is:
Linn Sondek LP12, Valhalla, pre Cirkus, Basic Plus Arm, Ortofon 2M Blue
Project PhonoBox SE
Naim 122X Naim Nap 150X - Naim Flatcap 2X - Naim CD5X -
ProAc Tablette 2000 Speakers

The Stageline will just tell who is the drivers seat instead of what. Upgrading to a cirkus is what I would do. With the used Linn parts going around upgrading Sir Sondek has never seen or should I say heard better times. Your Tablette's will love you back for it. Also the 2M blue is allot of cartridge for the humball LVX arm. A used Ekos 1 or 2 could be the ticket also. If playing LPs is your primary habit it dose make absolute sense. Synergy is the naim of the game.

The arm, definitely. I went from an LVX (same as yours, effectively) to an old Syrinx PU2 and it was a very significant difference.

advertisement

Back