advertisement

WTA owners ?

The manual says; "a half twist anti-clockwise to apply anti-skate" Bill seems to have got the rest right so that's what mine is like.

yep thanks MVV, I have a half twist as per the manual

I think I am getting a slight channel imbalance though despite good azimuth. I have seen pictures with decks that have more than a half so was wondering if some folks run more depending on other factors.

I doubt that bias is the cause of your imbalance; try checking your azimuth (which I know is very easy to adjust on the WT).

azimuth is good .... and in any case, the cart has to be like dragging its lower right edge on the record in order to try and redress the imbalance !

Could be a chanel imbalance in your cart, your amps, or the relative positioning of each speaker etc. etc.

already pinned it down

its from the deck phono outs upwards because swapping the IC channels around and the imbalance swaps around, so it aint phono stage/amps/speakers/cables etc..

it wasn't there with my dv20x either so cart or cart setup

Rip the side off a SAFETY match box. Drag it flat under the stylus as if it were the record surface. Oh yeah, turn the volume low before doing this. I have often found that channel imbalance can be the result of microscopic debris accumulating eccentrically on the stylus. A brush is often not firm enough to scrape it off. Styluses are very, very, very hard, so there's no need to worry about scratching it.

thanks, i have some green stuff somewhere so will give it a whirl

Perfect. Let rip. I have had the same piece of green stuff for about 20 years. It's now grey stuff. I've also used match boxes which seem to work just as well.

Let us know if that fixed it.

Hi,

Well I have a similar issue and have tried a good few things.

The first to try, if you can, is try another deck into the same phono input you are using for the WTA. If the imbalance is still there it is the most likely the system not the deck.

If it is the deck then trying different settings on the cartridge position and arm bias will have a very small effect.

I would suggest before you go to looking at any cartridge issues change the speaker positions very slightly, either angled in more or less.

You may find that having changed your cartridge you are in fact exciting the room with a frequency that is causing this effect and that to cancel it you can try moving the speakers. Remember that both speakers dont have to be in exactly the same position, one can be angled in more or less than the other and one can even be slightly closer to you.

Try this before looking at the cartridge.

Cheers

John

Nobody seems to have mentioned the cartridge tags (leads). If one isn't secure (or soldered on properly) an imbalance can result.Assuming no other misalignments can be found elsewhere, of course, as I'm not familiar with the WT.

I would find it hard to believe that the cart is at fault ; not least as you eulogised over the sound/presentation when you got it.

advertisement

Back