advertisement

Vintage Quad ads

Robert

Tapehead
Some lovely old Quad ads from a nice batch of old 70s magazines I picked up recently:

...and some wise words!

Quad10.jpg

Quad7.jpg

Quad6.jpg

Quad3.jpg

Quad8.jpg

Quad9.jpg

Quad4.jpg

Quad2.jpg

Quad11.jpg

Quad5.jpg

Quad1.jpg

Ah the age of the long form advert, when copywriters could give a brand a real sense of personality rather than just a few drops of Apple.com as seems to be the standard these days.

Superb, Robert - thanks.

Interesting to think about the 50no. 303s in series. Quick scribble suggests the S:N penalty might be about 17-18dB, so overall S:N could remain better than 80dB. Not so sure distortion performance would remain that good though - because it will be correlated throughout, therefore a much greater addition <scribbles more> about the 1% mark midrange I think. I doubt one could easily round up 50 original 303s and try it now - more's the pity :)

Superb, Robert - thanks.

Interesting to think about the 50no. 303s in series. Quick scribble suggests the S:N penalty might be about 17-18dB, so overall S:N could remain better than 80dB. Not so sure distortion performance would remain that good though - because it will be correlated throughout, therefore a much greater addition <scribbles more> about the 1% mark midrange I think. I doubt one could easily round up 50 original 303s and try it now - more's the pity :)

Hi Martin,

Interesting comment on the distortion ....... so still well below many single valve amps then ;)
Somewhere a long way down my 'things to do on a rainy night' list is to record the output of a 303 and simulate PJWs test by bouncing the recording around a loop 50 times, using 24/96 probably to minimise any intrusion from the digital process.

Its interesting the things people notice.
The latest copy of Hi-Fi Critic popped onto the mat today and contains a review of a phono cartridge with <cough> 3dB channel difference in the mid band.
The reviewer casually brushes this aside saying that most listeners won't notice!

What's the betting the same reviewer will be most concerned about some cable effect down at perhaps -120bB.

One of Peter Walker's greatest attributes was a sense of perspective and an entirely pragmatic approach to design.
Things sadly lacking today in many quarters IMO.

Very nice, trouble is that I remember every one!

Me too, though I don't think I understood the humour back then - I bought my first hi-fi, which included a second hand 33/303, as a 15 year old in 1978.

Tony.

PS I'm listening to the TV though a 303 right now, it's still a really nice amp IMO.

Interesting to read the ad featuring the ESL.

They clearly understood that you could manipulate the sound of a loudspeaker to make certain instruments or types of music sound sort of more real than real. Exactly what certain well known flat earth manufacturers did, and PJW understood this perfectly decades before.

Somewhere a long way down my 'things to do on a rainy night' list is to record the output of a 303 and simulate PJWs test by bouncing the recording around a loop 50 times, using 24/96 probably to minimise any intrusion from the digital process.
I'm not sure this amounts to the quite same thing at all.

Look at it this way - it may not be good enough to determine whether noise or disortion artifacts rule in the daisy chain. Granted a half-decent soundcard is still way beyond the performance of a new 303, but if we are going to design a rigourous experiment... see you at the severnshed ;)

advertisement

Back