advertisement

Bolt down NAP160 bolt size ?

Yes i'm just setting up a photobucket account so I'll get them uploaded soon !

Do you think its worth recapping the tants ? I'll still do all the electrolytics but not sure on the average lifespan of tants. The 328's fitted straight on with no mods / bodges needed.

Cheers, James.

However, onto the nac12..... As you can see in the attached pictures it is a Mk.2 with the 6 daughter boards (2xNA112 / 2xNA114)

By the looks of it those 112 and 114 cards have the bifurcated pins and card edge holders...so modern 321 and 729s won't fit.

It's very similar to mine except the mine as a DIN phono input too, so is probably a little earlier than yours. But given some TLC this can be one sweet preamp.

And I woudl say it has not been serviced as those orange electrolytics are the originals.

Top Tip for any DIYer:

The discount supermarkets often have DIY periods when they will sell you a selection box of metric fasteners for about a fiver. You get the works, nuts, bolts of various lengths, various sorts of washer, I've bought a few of these and they are very handy. They will not guarantee to have the exact length with the Allen head as original, but if you want something of the right size that will hold it together, they do a very good job. This applies to hifi, bikes, the car, and all manner of stuff. I have lost count of the number of times I've been working on some rusty bit of car, cursing the rusty fasteners that are holding the job up. I've stopped messing about now, I cut off the rusty remains, discard them and fit new ones. 12 months later you revisit the same area for service and instead of it being a horrible struggle everything comes to bits as required. That's work a fiver of my money.

Well It wasnt a Naim serivce but is considered "kosher" so thats nice :)

After abit of reading I'll be leaving the tants as they age very well apparently & should be good for another 30+ years :eek:

I have ordered Elna Silmic II for the NA112/114 cards & will be trying a Mundorf M-ytic for the bipolar motherboard cap.

Thats it for today I think....

Cheers.

Don't waste money on the axial on the MB...it's only used to time the relay delay...it's not in the signal path and has absolutely no effect on sound...just stick with 47uF or the timing changes. And are you sure it's bipolar? Mine isn't.

As for the Elna's ... they work well(ish) in the feedback position but best avoided for power rail decoupling IMHO. If you want one cap for both position the Nichicon KZs are best...again IMHO. But this is where the fun begins, because you won't find out what you prefer until you've changed them out and swapped them over a few times...I have a box of I don't know how many different 47uF caps I've tried...and what you prefer may be very different form everyone else...go to it...enjoy and have fun experimenting.

Neil

Don't waste money on the axial on the MB...it's only used to time the relay delay...it's not in the signal path and has absolutely no effect on sound...just stick with 47uF or the timing changes. And are you sure it's bipolar? Mine isn't.

As for the Elna's ... they work well(ish) in the feedback position but best avoided for power rail decoupling IMHO. If you want one cap for both position the Nichicon KZs are best...again IMHO. But this is where the fun begins, because you won't find out what you prefer until you've changed them out and swapped them over a few times...I have a box of I don't know how many different 47uF caps I've tried...and what you prefer may be very different form everyone else...go to it...enjoy and have fun experimenting.

Neil

Cheers for that Neil :)

I already have some KZ's from another project but they are 100v so I'll have to check & see if they fit ! My axial is defo bipolar... I might aswell change it as I've ordered the Mundorf now (Doh!)

Just finished fitting the R's on the tuner input but its still poor at low volumes, it really needs new volme / balance pots.

Here's mine...looks a little different now mind you...

...bypass the balance pot unless you need it to correct for room irregularities or hearing deficit, its easy on this ...just take the volume pot outputs directly to the MB instead of the balance pot and leave the pot there for an original appearance. And if you can find on a 25K Noble is a great upgrade on the volume pot at a decent price.

Sorry for the lack of updates couldnt find my solder so had to order some more !

Philips BC caps have arrived to tryout & the balance pot is bypassed, just need to find a 20k alps/noble pot now :confused: would changing the 20k for a 50k cause any major problems ?

Fair enough - good luck with it all.
I'm looking to aquire a 160 to use in my office system and lookforward to a bit of diy / recapping so will watch this space also.

Malcolm is a great guy - a mine of useful info
I had dealings with him also.

Good luck
Richard

advertisement

Back